NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by KatieS »

Thanks, Max! Just ordered the lozenges.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Me too, huge thanks!

One more question, are you an ApoE4 carrier, Max?
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

Juliegee wrote:Me too, huge thanks!

One more question, are you an ApoE4 carrier, Max?
Yes, 3/4!

I recommend reading this: http://www.lmreview.com/articles/view/o ... e-decline/

"ApoE ε4 carriers are the canaries in the mine of the Western way of life. Individuals with this genetic heritage cannot afford the "normal" level of dietary and lifestyle insults typical of life in the modern industrialized world because the ApoE ε4 allele magnifies the risks inherent in the Western diet and lifestyle."
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOVE that quote and fully agree! Although I question some of Pizzorno's conclusions... Alzheimer's and CAD are clearly both diseases that are products of civilization.

There is some debate in our community regarding the use of fish oil/DHA supplementation for E4 carriers. Where does Dr. Isaacson fall on that? FWIW, I think Pizzorno's got it exactly right in your linked piece.
So, why does the research consistently show DHA ineffective in preventing cognitive decline in carriers of ApoE ε4? Research reviewed in the remainder of this article not only attempt to explain this mystery, but indicates DHA may be even more important for ApoE ε4 carriers. The unacknowledged 600-pound gorilla in the equation is epigenetic. For DHA to provide protection against Alzheimer's disease in carriers of ApoE ε4, the key issue is cellular redox status, which is largely determined by diet and lifestyle....

Supplementing ApoE ε4 carriers with omega-3s—without also simultaneously and significantly reducing their intake of refined carbohydrates and saturated and pro-inflammatory fats, and increasing their consumption of protective phytonutrient-rich foods and antioxidants, while also prescribing a program of regular physical activity—is simply not going to do the job. [Emphasis mine.]
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Welcome Max man, and thanks for sharing what you know!

Lozenge takers, your methylation mother wants to remind you to start low and titer up to avoid brain buzz or other effects, especially if you don't have MTHFR variants. These are methylated/active vitamins, so they just jump right in and push various pathways. Seeking Health is Ben Lynch's baby and he usually recommends to break the lozenges (a quarter if you can) and start low and move up weekly.

If you have MTHFR variants, you might consider starting on a B12 first if you've never done B's or show low levels. There is something called folate trapping that can occur if you don't break an upstream logjam with B12 first.
(See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16445837)
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Juliegee wrote:LOVE that quote and fully agree! Although I question some of Pizzorno's conclusions... Alzheimer's and CAD are clearly both diseases that are products of civilization.
Yup. (Not that we have to be uncivilized to prevent AD and CAD, just "differently civilized".)
Pizzorno wrote:So, why does the research consistently show DHA ineffective in preventing cognitive decline in carriers of ApoE ε4? Research reviewed in the remainder of this article not only attempt to explain this mystery, but indicates DHA may be even more important for ApoE ε4 carriers. The unacknowledged 600-pound gorilla in the equation is epigenetic. For DHA to provide protection against Alzheimer's disease in carriers of ApoE ε4, the key issue is cellular redox status, which is largely determined by diet and lifestyle. (Emphasis mine.)

May, or may not.

Those few sentences are weird, given that what the research involving outcomes that's reviewed in the remainder of the article actually shows is that it is ALA, not DHA, that may -- may very likely, if it's not the exercise that makes a difference in the populations studied -- be even more important for ApoE ε4 carriers. The parts of the article on DHA aren't outcome-based.

Great article nonetheless. I learned a lot from it. Moved me towards more arugula and chía seeds!

GB
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Maxlugavere wrote:What I've learned is that it's absolutely never too late to make a difference w/ your brains health by making the right choices!
Thanks, Max! :D Yeppers, that's what we 50-somethings have been trying to hack since the inception of our learning our status via 23. It's always reassuring to hear it, though! :D Oh, and couldja hand me that walker, sonny, and tell those kids to get off my lawn? Such a golden, sweet boy...

Speaking of Golden - Gilgamesh! Nice to see you 'round here. So does this mean your non-academic sabbatical is no more?
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Kitano wrote:Thanks, Lilly. Just took a break from playing Parker on my sax, to tune in.
Gurl. Let's jam. I love, love, love Charlie Parker and the sax. :D
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Susan, quick digression : Im negative for nasties on all 3 big MTHFR genes, is it ok for me to take methylated B12 1000 something units and methylated quadra-thingy folate 800 something units? (Painters blocking door to bedroom, am in exile on windy deck).
My functional med doc wanted my B12 a bit higher than the 300 it was and she wanted more folate for my homocysteine of 9.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Stave! Can you tell me what C,C on MTHFR/Rs9651118 is: good or bad? I think I am good for the other two:

MTHFR/Rs1801133 also C;C

MTHFR/Rs1801131 A;A

I recently found that, even with these variants, I was overdoing the methylated Bs. While some describe it as a head buzz, I felt like my thoughts were trudging through mud. I've since stopped until I go through Dr. Bredesen's tests and see what's advised.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.