NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by Russ »

Julie,

Just want to say this may be one of the wisest summaries I've seen yet….
Juliegee wrote:I'm a sad substitute for sweet Max (waves :D) but I thought I'd chime in with my notes from Dr. Isaacson's talk at our recent conference.

He liked Dr. Martha Clare Morris’s MIND Diet with a few modifications for E4s. IMO, many of us are already eating much healthier, but this is a good way to transition from SAD: https://www.rush.edu/news/press-release ... rs-disease

-MORE exercise for E4s
-ONLY organic produce for E4s
-Omega 6:3 ratio should be 2:1 for E4s. More fish for E4s than what MIND recommends. (EDIT: When I spoke with him in NYC, Max did report taking fish oil per Dr. Isaacson's direction.)
-Less SFA for E4s (Martha heard 7% of total diet)
-1/3 less whole grain than MIND for E4s.
-PM Carb restriction: starting with 12 hours, then 14, finally 16 hours
-Higher protein 25% of diet (?)
-E4s must play a musical instrument. Dr. Isaacson is in a rock band called The Regenerates as opposed to degenerates ;)

He mentioned Dr. Gary Gibson’s paper below was hugely influential. (I still haven’t read it.)
A Mitocentric View of Alzheimer’s Disease Suggests Multi-Faceted Treatments
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3085842/

By way of three case studies he collaboratively shared with the group, he reported wanting to experiment with MCT/ketosis- especially on his E4 patients, but he was stymied by the high lipids. Like Dayspring, he likes lipid numbers to be in range and is currently prescribing statins for his patients. He’s very tuned in to their potential negative effects- especially on E4s. He (and all of the experts there) are stuck on this conundrum: how to use ketosis safely in our population?

What am I forgetting, Martha?
Fully agree there is a lipid conundrum, but I also think that once we 'get it', it will be simple. Although an outlier, and focussed on heart disease, this may be a good place to remind that the contrarian view of Dr Gundry (whose basis is clinical experience) is that it is indeed size, not number, that matters.

Beyond that, I want to underscore the connection between 'organic' and 'grain' bullets (not that common)… and add, that I'm willing to bet if you do eat grains, preparation matters - i.e. natural fermentation like real sourdough may even be more important for us (to avoid inflammatory response).
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Russ wrote: Just want to say this may be one of the wisest summaries I've seen yet….
Agree! (Except obviously for the "sad" part of "sad substitute" :) )

J, About protein: I wondered about that, too. New work seems to indicate that protein reduction, or possibly just meth+cys (don't forget the cysteine!!) reduction is key to a host of CR's benefits. Yet I actually feel much better on 80+g protein/day. (Though there's also the wrinkle of possible -- possible: the research needs to be repeated -- age-dependence in protein needs.) Maybe it's my exercise (30-45 mins. moderate to vigorous aerobic/day, plus minor resistance training), or maybe Dr. I is right about the needs of ε4s. He sure seems right about a lot else!
Russ wrote: I'm willing to bet if you do eat grains, preparation matters - i.e. natural fermentation like real sourdough may even be more important for us (to avoid inflammatory response).
Amen. I've gone off grains but am considering adding back a few. I know one celiac sufferer (real, severe celiac disease, not "gluten sensitivity") wnho claims she can eat properly made (she makes it herself) sourdough. I'm not endorsing that, by the way. Celiac disease is a serious condition. But fermentation does reduce the gluten content dramatically.

GB
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Russ wrote:Julie,

Fully agree there is a lipid conundrum, but I also think that once we 'get it', it will be simple. Although an outlier, and focussed on heart disease, this may be a good place to remind that the contrarian view of Dr Gundry (whose basis is clinical experience) is that it is indeed size, not number, that matters.
The ApoE4 CVD risk vs. metabolic syndrome paper that Julie posted would agree with Gundry https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... lic#p13905 If you don't have met syndrome, heart disease risk is modest. I personally want to minimize LDL-P as much as possible, but it is interesting.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Here you go JulieG!

p 172

Fat 25% (less than 7% saturated)
Carbs 30-45% (low GI)

... drumroooooooooolllllll...

Protein 25-35%
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, Circ. WOW, that is CRAZY high. Dr. Isaacson is recommending 25-35% protein. Did he offer any justification?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Says "modified from Craft study", but unfortunately his book has no index (! :-( ) and I'm not finding further reference to the Craft study offhand. Does it ring any bells?

I think we need an online spreadsheet that has one axis for the various medical experts and another axis for recommended ranges/sources. Then highlight where they agree using colorful or something. Or you could even use color gradients, e.g., strong green to weak green. Notice I said "you" :lol: You do so much so maybe someone else will bit and you can help edit. You have such good command of so much info. I can't find time for any more projects.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Tincup
E3,E4
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Russ, Others -

What, specifically, are you referring to when you quote Gundry saying size, not number, that matters. I imagine it is some kind of lipid, but which one exactly? And what size are we aiming for?
the contrarian view of Dr Gundry (whose basis is clinical experience) is that it is indeed size, not number, that matters.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Juliegee wrote:Thanks, Circ. WOW, that is CRAZY high. Dr. Isaacson is recommending 25-35% protein. Did he offer any justification?
On a mildly calorie restricted 1800kcal diet, 25% protein is 113 grams. At 157lb, that's around a 1.59g/kg ratio, which isn't too crazy of an intake compared with the recommended intake for athletes (although, they would usually be consuming more calories which would drive the protein macro percentage down.) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... /table/T1/
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Gilgamesh wrote:New work seems to indicate that protein reduction, or possibly just meth+cys (don't forget the cysteine!!) reduction is key to a host of CR's benefits.
I was thinking it was more methionine+tryptophan restriction (and overall reduced mTOR signaling / upregulated SIRT1) that brought on CR's benefits

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2884086/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3695616/

Whey protein is particularly rich in cysteine, which boosts glutathione and may offer some benefits.

Perhaps the glycine / methionine balance is also of some importance. http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/meeti ... acts/528.2