NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Hey that is close to what works for me so we have confirmation.

Russ is probably meaning particle size is likely more important than being slightly higher in particle count. That is there is interplay in particle# if carbs are controlled the particle# goes down too.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Juliegee wrote:Thanks, Circ. WOW, that is CRAZY high. Dr. Isaacson is recommending 25-35% protein. Did he offer any justification?
I bet he's doing it to limit carbs plus to limit saturated fat cos it's so hard to get higher fat with out increasing saturated fat (there's like 4 foods you can only eat every day and it's incredibly monotonous)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

rep wrote:Russ, Others -

What, specifically, are you referring to when you quote Gundry saying size, not number, that matters. I imagine it is some kind of lipid, but which one exactly? And what size are we aiming for?
the contrarian view of Dr Gundry (whose basis is clinical experience) is that it is indeed size, not number, that matters.
Rep, from my perspective he's talking about small-LDL-P vs. LDL-P (though Gundry uses the Singulex labs test and I think looks at their output - sdLDL) On my most recent NMR, my small LDL-P was <90 - this is off scale low (i.e. they can't measure lower than 90) my LDL-P was 1292. The 1292 is < 50%ile. From Dayspring's perspective, this OK for someone without a lot of risk, though not stellar. My LDL size was 22 nm. This is large, from the graph in the 99%ile (99% are smaller). If you are in the size camp, then this test is stellar. If you are in the LDL-P camp (like Dayspring) then it is OK, but not perfect.

If you are in Dayspring's camp then James' low fat vegan results are perfect https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 538&p=4353 - very high % small LDL-P, but <1000 LDL-P.

I'm guessing most mainstream lipidologists are in Dayspring's camp.

Gundry has a good clinical track record. A woman just posted on one of the Gundry FB support groups that she met him 13 months ago in the hospital, when he introduced himself as the surgeon going to do a quadruple bypass on her. Here is part of her post:
It's been 13 months since I met Dr. Gundry while in the hospital. He introduced himself as the doctor who was going to do a quadruple bypass on me.
He saved my life without surgery with the Diet Evolution.
One of the things my husband and I have endeavored to do is raise a sustainable, homegrown food supply. We have a small ranch/farm in the high desert and I have dabbled in small animal husbandry for about 30 years.
I was already raising chickens with substantial free range area(5 acres). As my research continued I recognized that 1)retail pasture raised meats are stupid expensive 2) the average home grown farmer spends a lot of money on commercial "grain" feeds that are loaded with gmo corn and soy.
So, I began the big switch from commercial scratch grain, about 90% crack corn(sugar), to free range feed, wild bird seed, lots of weeds and forage with sprouted barley seed greens, compost and all the bugs,lizards, baby mice ,etc,they could eat.
The result was a prolonged, serious moult AND an increased egg production with stronger and prettier, not to mention DELICIOUS, omega 3 rich eggs...

It is a good question which side is correct.

High levels of small LDL-P is indicative of insulin resistance (IR). My experience is some fat intake can also increase it. So if you take care of IR is that good enough?
Tincup
E3,E4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hi apod!

Actually, restriction of any individual amino acid seeems to confer CR -- or some CR -- benefits. But the effects of meth. restriction seem strongest. Yet adding cys. back, at least in a couple studies, nullifies the benefits of meth. restriction. Here's a recent article exploring a poss. mechanism:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25773352

The 1989 whey study is interesting but I'd want to see it repeated, and I'd want to read the full study. (Do you have it? If so, can you send it my way?) It might of course not have been the cysteine that made the difference. One would have to do a more careful dietary constituent study.

I read the bulk of the evidence as suggesting meth. and cys. should be limited. But more work is certainly needed!

GB
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Hey, Stavia! What are the four foods? Dish, sweetheart!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Gilgamesh wrote:The 1989 whey study is interesting but I'd want to see it repeated, and I'd want to read the full study. (Do you have it? If so, can you send it my way?) It might of course not have been the cysteine that made the difference. One would have to do a more careful dietary constituent study.
Very interesting that cysteine might act as an antioxidant to prevent some damage, where the adaptation from the damage would otherwise increase lifespan. On the other hand, there's this take on cysteine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16321806

Here's the full article:
http://immunocal.ro/Aging_Diseases.Glut ... _Study.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12537959

The role of FOXO genes in aging / calorie restriction is also pretty interesting. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2988682/
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News &amp; Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by Stavia »

marthaNH wrote:Hey, Stavia! What are the four foods? Dish, sweetheart!
My 4 are salmon, nuts, avocado and a bit of olive oil. I can keep sat fats under 7grams at 1100 cals. Ive stopped dark chocolate because I have no control if there is a slab in the house (I will eat it all. Im an addict.) and take cocoavia capsules instead as recommended by Dr I. Consumerlabs found no heavy metals in them. To get enough of the thingies in chocolate one needs to have far too much in terms of sat fat and calories for my calorie level.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Ah, we are doing almost exactly the same thing, then, and that's very reassuring, but boy you DO have an efficient metabolism! I am getting through a lot more food than that, and I think I need it.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

dark chocolate try Lindht 90% one square after a meal it is not sweet but you can try 85% if you need a little more sweetness.
1100 kcal that is for a small person and can keep one small which I proved to myself years ago when I shrunk myself down. I found I could not build strength and plateaued. I can easily burn 500-600kcal in the gym in less than a hour with an easy workout so one has to average consumption over a week.

now methione restriction it really is more needed if ones mythlation indicates it which mine does but I find I need the protein unless I really mess up everything around diet and start all over and be a vegetarian again which I stopped 30 years ago.
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

just do intermittent fasting.. 5:2 diet
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Martha I know! I was horrified when I realised how little I could eat to get to BMI 23. Glad we've converged on the same food :)

Gene, I'm not small, I'm very muscular and strong. My body composition analysis shows high muscle mass and I have great bone density. Just incredibly efficient metabolism.
I looked at the chocolate analysis of consumer labs and IMO even the Lindt is too low in the flavinoids to justify its level of saturated fat. I cant post it here because its their copyrighted work.