NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Also re the 5:2, most of the top AD clinicians recommend a daily 12 to 16 hr fast. For the consistent benefits, which are many. IMO the 5:2 encourages binge eating of the wrong foods. Have you any links re 5:2 specifically for AD prevention?
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by pgf54 »

For me personally the 5 and 2 did just that, i binged hugely and had huge blood sugar swings, the pancreas didnt know what hit it, and i felt physically ill........... However in fairness to the 5 and 2 , it was at a time of gluttony , prior to cutting out sugar and refined carbs and moderating calorie intake.

Since i have done that I find i can easily do my 15 hour nightly fast now and everything for me is better with three monitored meals day..............and a little Cr.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Gene, in the 5:2 diet, are the two days total fasts or just lower calories as in the Alternate Day Diet? Do you perceive benefits for 5:2 over a daily 16- or 18-hour fast?

I have stuck with 16/8 intermittent fasting for 2.5 years, and I really like it. Essentially, I traded after dinner snacks and breakfast for better weight control.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

merouleau wrote: I have stuck with 16/8 intermittent fasting for 2.5 years, and I really like it. Essentially, I traded after dinner snacks and breakfast for better weight control.
Exactly! Its working very well for me in this regard too.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by Gilgamesh »

Stavia wrote:Just incredibly efficient metabolism.
You are so lucky! CR researchers would say you're going to live a long, long life!
I looked at the chocolate analysis of consumer labs and IMO even the Lindt is too low in the flavinoids to justify its level of saturated fat.
I chose the Baker's (might not be available everywhere -- but it's abundant in the U.S.). But I eat less than the recommended amount. Remember, we eat better than the people in the studies showing 200 mg. flavs. was optimal, and that "better" includes eating foods with their own flavonoids. I'm thinking about cutting out the cacao entirely. We're all getting so many of these "good" substances the overall effect might be bad -- precisely because "good" might really need to be in scare-quotes; i.e., these are good because they're hormetic (stressful, thus "bad"), and too many hormetic substances might overwhelm our ability to benefit from them.

Don't know. We need more studies!!

About meal-timing: I'm moving towards EOD eating. Mark Mattson's work has convinced me. But on quasi-fasting days (not fasting, so far, just less than normal) I keep my eating window narrow enough to end up with a 18-hour fast. But I'm the opposite of you, STavia: I have really inefficient metabolism. So non-fasting days are pig-out days. Not sure how good that is, though evolution would have prepared us for it.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Re:

Post by apod »

Gilgamesh wrote:I chose the Baker's (might not be available everywhere -- but it's abundant in the U.S.). But I eat less than the recommended amount.
I like this stuff -- it's not too heavy on the SFA for the amount of chocolatey goodness. It's also worth noting that chocolate SFA is largely stearic acid, which is often shown to be neutral on LDL / cholesterol numbers.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

https://www.upgradedself.com/products/b ... /SOURCING2 --
We start with rare, wild, hand-harvested South American cacao beans from a single small region at high elevation with rich volcanic soil.

Please be careful! Volcanic soil is the worst when it comes to cadmium. If you consume this stuff regularly, I'd recommend asking the company about cadmium levels in the product. Search [ chocolate cadmium ] or [ cacao cadmium ] if you happen to be unfamiliar with the problem.

GB

P.S. Going back into writer's retreat mode. Thanks everyone for making this group so stimulating and supportive!
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Lindht is easy to obtain, and one square a small taste.

yes the bullet proof choco powder I have and put some in my decaf. also I have another one with mushroom powder.

for those the 5:2 diet is two none consecutive days for a male eats 600 cal for a female 500 cal then their normal diet. it better to just look into it.

I have not done the 5:2 for long enough I stopped doing it for a while. It might be harder for some to do although I do daily IF and exercise in a.m in fasted state.
Some rotation from lower cal days maybe all that is needed.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Gilgamesh wrote:Please be careful! Volcanic soil is the worst when it comes to cadmium
Ah, thanks for the heads up! I e-mailed the makers but couldn't get a solid answer:
"Upgraded Chocolate is processed, stored, and packaged using extremely careful methods to eliminate the risk of lead and other heavy metal contamination. We grind the beans into a fine powder on custom artisan equipment dedicated exclusively to our chocolate and we do test our products for heavy metals. A COA does contain proprietary information and unfortunately I am not at liberty to distribute that form"
For a company that prides themselves on a product "designed to be the highest quality chocolate" with "an optimized process to create chocolate without the toxins that make chocolate such a common source of problems", you'd think they would be willing to share a little data with their customers. I emailed them back to see if they would be willing to at least share the cadmium analysis from the CoA.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

apod wrote: It's also worth noting that chocolate SFA is largely stearic acid, which is often shown to be neutral on LDL / cholesterol numbers.
Thanks Apod, I didnt realise this. The devil is certainly in the detail huh.