Determining right level of alcohol consumption

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Determining right level of alcohol consumption

Post by Gilgamesh »

Julie, no need to apologize for anything! The paper was important and relevant -- thanks!

(I'm still waiting for enough evidence simply to frame the ? right. Ethanol: 1) Harmful or not? or 2) Useless (but not harmful in small amounts) or not? Big difference in the kind of uncertainty that ensues.

GB
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

What I would like to know is if that research team in Loma Linda UC Irvine? That is studying the elderly that are 90 and over, around 1600 of them in that Leisureworld retirement community has looked to see how many are apoe 4. The reason is they have shown that moderate alcohol consumption is attributable to longer life, but they said they did not see certain things that helped you live longer and certain things that did. A lot of what we have talked about are signs of how to live a longer life. They are also studying the brains of people in the study with pet scan for signs of AD or I think microstrokes as microstrokes are attributed as AD before people die and then they find out there is no AD. They also have people with AD signs of tau and amyloid on pet scans that do not show AD and they are tracking them to see if they have protective genes or if they eventually succumb to AD, etc. Those studies coming out of there will be good and as I said if they would check the apoe 4 status that would be great.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

By the way they said 1 to 3 cups of coffee was good for living longer. So on this wonderful Labor Day in the USA I motored on down to the local big lots and splurged on a middle of the way 2 cup coffee maker, cost 12 smackers plus the government man's share. I then went and bought a 1lb 10 ounce bag of Java time aribica coffee at 5 bucks a bag and no government man baggage. Now that all this labor is done as well as my Java Joe which is automatically poured into a 12 ounce cup they provide for the 12 smackers I'm gonna see if I choke on Java Joe or give it a thumbs up.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

I rate the coffee maker as cool, just can't say it is worth the money until it makes more cups of coffee. Therefore, I went ahead and made a second cup to reduce my price per cup, it kinda helped that Java time tasted good as well, well at least to a middle of the road guy like me, anyways. So now I will violate the 3 cup rule on the first day of use in order to tell everyone or just drink half the cup? What would you do?
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I personally drink the 3 cups to make up for the alcohol I do drink.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

…and to make things even more interesting, a new paper indicating that the heart benefits of wine may be contingent on the combination with exercise…

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/eu ... 51174.html

Note that the study didn't do anything direct w/r heart health, just monitored HDL and TC levels of subjects provided free booze for 6 months. Improved markers only occurred in wine drinkers who also exercised. Haven't read the actual study so don't know how robust it is.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Russ, Ive done experiments with lipid results drinking wine and not and when Ive been drinking wine regularly (not more than a glass a night) my HDL has increased and LDL dropped. Now thats not in the least all attributed to the wine as I changed my diet to, but it certainly was not a factor in my lipid results where its supposed to drop HDL and raise LDL. But I do exercise and know it cant be great for the brain (like any drug that alters the brain) but for now I'll take my chances until I see something more conclusive.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Glad you mentioned that study Russ as the 90 plus exercised daily as well, so they may have gotten the positive effect due to the combination of the two, but the researcher did not say it takes all 5 or 6 things the elderly did to achieve the results. It may be it takes all or just two or three or they have protèctive genes or genes that become protective when certain things are done. They did say they were going to or were going to look at genes, but they did not go into any details. Could be anyone can do what they do with shall we say average genes and live into the 90's or it may take certain genetics along with a protocol to reach 90 plus. All things I would think they would try to determine. They did say the optimum exercise time was 45 minutes a day and it did not have to be in one 45 minute continuous time fràme or rigorous exercise. I suppose the rigorous exercises mainly wound up pushing up daisies along with the no exercisers but they did not say as of yet.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

The only shall we say strenuous exerciser that I can think of was jack Lalane. There could be a lot and a lot that do nothing às well as the old were not studied very much until recently due to thère was not many until 40 years ago or less in USA and they were all over the country. Now with these retirement communities drawing them in to one place they would be easier to find and study. They did not have gerontologists 60 years or so ago or many for the same reason. So it is a bràve new world in this regards.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

A thought provoking piece from The Buck on the inaccuracy of studying alcohol consumption. Clearly, this is another case of context matters, maybe a lot: http://sage.buckinstitute.org/?p=791