Check cardiac genes 9P21

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Check cardiac genes 9P21

Post by KatieS »

After my 3/3 husband's widowmaker this last week, he checked his cardiac genes. When he typed into Promethease search 9P21, he discovered he was homozygous for all of them. Having a 100% blockage of LAD with very low cholesterol levels (146 with stellar advanced lipid panel in May, and a LDL of 63 upon hospital admission), this tells me that the platelet and plaque rupture potential is not captured in many of our tests. His stress echo with HR up to 160 was normal a few years prior, but the carotid US did have some atherosclerosis (had a follow-up apt for repeat testing this month). His doctor is shocked that this heart attack occurred, but he'll be left with permanent damage; so those of you who have this 9P21 risk genes should press for more aggressive CV screening.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Check cardiac genes 9P21

Post by Julie G »

(((Kit))) I'm so sorry, Honey. We must look beyond lipids at multiple risk factors...and even that may only give us the illusion of safety. How generous of you to try to help protect us all- 9P21 is a new one for me.

I enjoyed spending time with you and your husband at our meet-up this past May. He's a sweet, kind, gentle and funny man. I'm grateful he survived. Please know that I'm sending you both lots of love, prayers, and good energy as he recovers. Don't forget to take care of yourself during this stressful time.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

(((Kitano))) I'm so sorry to learn this news. I'm glad your husband survived the heart attack, and I hope the damage he suffered isn't severe. I wish him the very best during his recovery.

I can only imagine how stressful this event must have been and continues to be for both of you. I echo Julie's suggestion to take especially good care of yourself during this time.

My father had a heart attack at the hospital shortly after a heart catheterization. Unfortunately, the procedure shredded one of his coronary arteries. He later found much support through an organization called Mended Hearts. He ended up volunteering for them for several years. I don't know if they are in your area, but it might be worth checking out.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

(((Kitano)))
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Sending healing energy to you and your husband.

When you have time, I'd love to hear what the next steps for your husband are...I have quite a few of those genes and heart attacks run like a freight train through my Dad's family. That's why I feel that I must keep my lipids in the normal ranges, along with keeping inflammation under check. But if there are other approaches you are taking, I'd love to hear about them.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Big hugs K! And best wishes for a warm, cozyz especially healing winter for your husband and yourself. And thanks...I'm off to check 23andme, especially for my husband who has cvd family history.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Thanks for all the warmth from this group.

Susan, I'm taking a bag of supplements in to the cardiologist's appointment, but acyetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR) might be beneficial to heal the infarction (at least in rats). He rarely eats red meat which is the highest in this amino acid, vegetarians tend to run low. I want to restart the Curcumin , B vitamins and DHA, but not until I have approval with his other new meds. His FitBit seems to confirm tolerance for our slow walks.

Allyson, I'll email our local Mended Hearts chapter, since psychological support is so key to recovery. The cardiac rehab program only spoke about the Kubler-Ross stages (Denial to Acceptance), not addressing the generalized anxiety of pending doom or exercise ability (we know this with our ongoing cognitive concerns & how the group has helped!).