NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by Stavia »

SusanJ wrote:Stavia, yes, methylation is mind boggling at times. It's such an important process that there are numerous (backup) paths to the same end for us humans. So when you push one side of the process it has a major ripple effect downstream.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would stick with the B12, and talk to your doc about trying higher doses of betaine (show your doc the study I ref'd above on the effects of betaine). You don't have the MTHFR variants, so I don't see how methyl-folates will help there, unless you are short on methyl donors in general due to a different reason.

B12 and betaine might be all you need.
Thanks Susan :)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you, Methylation Mama :D ! Great advice on going easy with the methylated Bs. We are blessed to have your expertise.

Max, I'd still love to know Dr. Isaacson's view on fish oil for E4s.
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

Juliegee wrote:Thank you, Methylation Mama :D ! Great advice on going easy with the methylated Bs. We are blessed to have your expertise.

Max, I'd still love to know Dr. Isaacson's view on fish oil for E4s.
I can't speak for him obviously, but he approves me taking it. My labs showed optimal levels of omega 3's, as well as inflammation markers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Juliegee, do you have Kindle so you can download his book? Actually you can access the kindle version without a kindle. He has a section on fish oil and omega 3. Not a lot on e4 there other than one of the more recent studies showing that for treatment it only helped e3. He likes Carlson DHA Gems for potency for the money, and Martek algae based because it's been used in studies. I'm kinda drawn to the algae form for some inexplicable reason but I'm relying on diet to date since my ratio was good at last test.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Thread hijack avoidance (aka: avoiding rambling 23andMe-style threads): For those interested, thoughts (not many, so far) on betaine continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=985

GB
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

To avoid thread hyjacking and rambling threads like on 23 and me this should be posted under betaine and human nutrition and not a new thread.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Maxlugavere wrote:Hi guys. I'm the subject of both this piece tonight as well as the WSJ piece a few months ago. More to come! Feel free to ask me anything!

Hi Max, my copy of Isaacsons book arrived via your kickstarter today. Very exciting.
I was hoping you could share any diffrences in your protocol that are new since the book was published?
Are you taking the fish oil, cocoa, curcumin and b vitamins he recommends and anything else?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm a sad substitute for sweet Max (waves :D) but I thought I'd chime in with my notes from Dr. Isaacson's talk at our recent conference.

He liked Dr. Martha Clare Morris’s MIND Diet with a few modifications for E4s. IMO, many of us are already eating much healthier, but this is a good way to transition from SAD: https://www.rush.edu/news/press-release ... rs-disease

-MORE exercise for E4s
-ONLY organic produce for E4s
-Omega 6:3 ratio should be 2:1 for E4s. More fish for E4s than what MIND recommends. (EDIT: When I spoke with him in NYC, Max did report taking fish oil per Dr. Isaacson's direction.)
-Less SFA for E4s (Martha heard 7% of total diet)
-1/3 less whole grain than MIND for E4s.
-PM Carb restriction: starting with 12 hours, then 14, finally 16 hours
-Higher protein 25% of diet (?)
-E4s must play a musical instrument. Dr. Isaacson is in a rock band called The Regenerates as opposed to degenerates ;)

He mentioned Dr. Gary Gibson’s paper below was hugely influential. (I still haven’t read it.)
A Mitocentric View of Alzheimer’s Disease Suggests Multi-Faceted Treatments
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3085842/

By way of three case studies he collaboratively shared with the group, he reported wanting to experiment with MCT/ketosis- especially on his E4 patients, but he was stymied by the high lipids. Like Dayspring, he likes lipid numbers to be in range and is currently prescribing statins for his patients. He’s very tuned in to their potential negative effects- especially on E4s. He (and all of the experts there) are stuck on this conundrum: how to use ketosis safely in our population?

What am I forgetting, Martha?
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I am just about to turn out my light, but just want to say I never take TV news at face value. It's so short, things get distorted. And there may be something exclusively youth oriented that he is running but Isaacson is by no means limiting his work to 20 year olds, or 30s or 40s either! He talked about a wide range of patients.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Can someone who's got Dr. Isaacson's book double check his protein recommendations and rationale for them? I looked at my cron-o-meter and see that I only hit 10% protein yesterday :?