Green Tea with *methylated* catechins improves metabolic health in furries ...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Green Tea with *methylated* catechins improves metabolic health in furries ...

Post by circular »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24067358

"Green tea extract containing a highly absorbent catechin prevents diet-induced lipid metabolism disorder"

See also:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23448449

where as an added bonus for those of us with mast cell/histamine issues, "'Benifuuki' green tea has been shown to strongly inhibit mast cell activation and histamine release."

The tea powder mentioned in the studies can be purchased online. I haven't tried it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Green Tea with *methylated* catechins improves metabolic health in furries ...

Post by ApropoE4 »

This has become available in Japanese drink vending machines following a study linking high catechin green tea to weight loss. It has about 10 times the amount of catechins as the usual stuff (still only about 50% of the daily intake in the study), and many people find it difficult to drink (certainly on an empty stomach it can give you such nausea that you can see where the weight loss might be coming from :D ). I can handle it but personally I much prefer matcha, which has astronomical concentrations of (the right kind of) catechins.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Green Tea with *methylated* catechins improves metabolic health in furries ...

Post by Julie G »

I'm a huge fan of matcha too :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I like a matcha iced tea in summertime that I get at a local Japanese restaurant. I've thought I'll try making it this year.

The Benifuuki tea is apparently different from matchas and the highest in these methylated catechins that stabilize mast cells, having been bred for it. But I find it's very expensive to get the amount required every day for the effect. Ginger enhances its effect.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

it is not all positive with green tea as the caffeine content is quite variable among types and can be sometimes quite high causing problems related to dependance etc. and for men it some of the ECGG? components can interfere with testosterone production and lower it. Also some supplements have very high content which is a possible liver toxin if take for too long.
Small amounts are ok of course.
another superfood is decaf also many compounds with extensive benefits.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

So, matcha drinkers ... I just stir mine in the water. Can anyone who fluffs theirs up tell me if I'm missing anything? I tried the hand fluffed and returned it because it bothered my arm to whisk like that. Teavana wants to sell me a nice one for $20. Cost Plus has a cheaper one but seems pretty cheaply made too. What say you? Skip the whisk or it will taste better if I fork over $20 for a nice whisker. (No complaints about taste as it is. In fact I have been mixing mine *into* the Gyokuro steeped and love the balance!)
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Matcha tastes like miso soup without the salt to me. Not my favorite......but i try and drink the odd cup for its properties, much prefer an oolong or organic earl grey.....................
In fact had two cups yesterday of matcha , drunk thr green gunk at the bottom of the cup, and felt a bit weird, ? didnt even eat all my evening meal, most unusual, coincidence, ? will have to try again.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I miss the oolongs and Earl Greys and Darjeelings and so many other delightful teas I used to drink. They didn't play well with my histamine issues. Coffee is supposed to be high histamine too but doesn't appear to bother me as much. Glad you mention this though. I really should treat myself to a cup of these others once a month or so to help make up for all the things I can't eat anymore. Teas weren't among the worst. :idea: