Quick Curcumin Question

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Quick Curcumin Question

Post by Silverlining »

My latest batch of Nature's Way curcumin/turmeric 450mg MIGHT be upsetting my stomach. It seems very fresh with a strong "peppery" smell. I've also noticed that if I take a second dose in early afternoon, I'm having trouble sleeping, as if I drank caffeine. This is all with the newly opened bottle. Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering the bioavailable kind instead. The bottle I'm looking at is 250 mg. However, since it is supposedly better absorbed, in your opinion (whoever is reading!) is one of these as "good" as one of the 450mg I take now? Here is the product I'm thinking of buying:

Thanks for any input!
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Quick Curcumin Question

Post by Ski »

Funnily enough I was having trouble sleeping and stopped my 2nd evening dose as well and no more sleep problems. Don't know if it was that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Just completed a cross country drive (in record time :D ) but wanted to quickly check in before grabbing a bite. (I figured, All Day Driving = Good Excuse to Fast) There's probably about a dozen posts that have totally grabbed my attention; I can't wait to have time to respond. You guys are simply amazing.

My guess, THAT inability to sleep is the curcumin having a POSITIVE effect. Increased energy (less fatigue) is ONE of the many beneficial effects of curcumin. My advice, try to harness that energy in a positive way by taking your full dose upon waking. Think of it as an added kick to your morning joe :shock:

I use the Terry Naturally, CuraMed, 750 mg. It's supposed to be bio-available, like the Longvida stuff created by the UCLA team. I take it with my NRF2 activator, that also has curcumin and piperine. I have a major history of GI issues, but zero problems with either.

I had lots of problems with turmeric. I even developed a weird mast cell reaction- severe burning on my shoulders- when I took it, no matter what brand. Once I switched to bio-available, pure curcumin- no problems. I have no idea how to translate turmeric to curcumin (as there's a relatively small among of curcumin in turmeric), nor regular vs. bio-available. As with any supplement, I would start with a small dose and slowly titrate up, carefully taking note of benefits and side effects.

Hope it works for you guys. I think it's the bomb :mrgreen:
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

curcumin is a MOA-A inhibitor so check if you are ++ defective in your methylation analysis as you will impair it even more or may lock it out for weeks.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Thanks Spunky...I checked and I have double green on MAO...yay for me :). Julie, I am taking curcumin not turmeric. I think my latest batch is just a potent one...which may be good. I'm only taking one pill a day for now.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

MedLine Plus reports that curcumin does cause stomach upset for some people.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... l/662.html

If I take a BCM-95 formula, I always have to take it with food to avoid a sour stomach. Don't have the same problem with the Longvida version (which says to take it on an empty stomach).
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Thanks Susan..I had the bcm95 in my amazon cart..will look at the longvida
hilbil

bio curcumin with ginger

Post by hilbil »

I just started doing Life Extension advanced bio-curcumin with ginger and turmerones.

Waited an hour to see if I had a reaction. Not so far. The other product from Life Extension that I just bought is Brain Shield with gastrodin with calcium.
Have any of you taken these two preparations?

Hilbil
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Hilbil! I've never used either, but that doesn't mean anything- hopefully others will chime in. I DO use curcumin and get amazing results from it. FWIW, I first began using turmeric (instead) and developed an "allergic" reaction. It often takes time to gauge side effects and benefits. I had to switch brands and dosages a few times before I found something tolerable. Let us know how they work for YOU.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Taking quick break from hellish deadline; saw the following on the CR Society list. Worth noting. One of us should do a systematic review of the turmeric and curcumin research.
Michael Rae, in a CR Society post wrote: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
All:

Peggy Diamond wrote:

> I don't know the year that these stats were gathered but there's a great
> discrepancy between countries in this website:
>
> http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus ... y-country/
>
> Do these 'low rate' countries not report dementia or Alzheimers as a cause
> of death?

As I've noted before in the context of the voodoo epidemiology surrounding curcumin and dementia, the belief that Indians (and people in many other developing nations) have lower age-specific incidence of dementia is actually outdated, based in large part in the lack of adaptation of the DSM-IV criteria to the local culture: using a system designed for international use, the standardized prevalence adjusted for age, sex, and education is 8.2-8.7% (similar to Western Europe), not the 0.8-2.7% previously reported.(1) This is yet another case where it just isn't legitimate to compare health outcomes and lifestyle variables across entire countries or geographic areas.

(For more on curcumin and dementia, see:
http://arc.crsociety.org/read.php?2,200 ... msg-200706

Additionally, not one, but two trials of curcumin suplementation in AD patients, both of which were negative (2,3).

-Michael

1. Llibre Rodriguez JJ, Ferri CP, Acosta D, Guerra M, Huang Y, Jacob KS,
Krishnamoorthy ES, Salas A, Sosa AL, Acosta I, Dewey ME, Gaona C,
Jotheeswaran AT, Li S, Rodriguez D, Rodriguez G, Kumar PS, Valhuerdi A,
Prince M; 10/66 Dementia Research Group. Prevalence of dementia in Latin
America, India, and China: a population-based cross-sectional survey.
Lancet. 2008 Aug 9;372(9637):464-74. Epub 2008 Jul 25. PubMed PMID:

2. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2012 Oct 29;4(5):43. [Epub ahead of print]
Oral curcumin for Alzheimer's disease: tolerability and efficacy in a
24-week randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study.
Ringman JM, Frautschy SA, Teng E, Begum AN, Bardens J, Beigi M, Gylys KH, Badmaev V, Heath DD, Apostolova LG, Porter V, Vanek Z, Marshall GA,
Hellemann G, Sugar C, Masterman DL, Montine TJ, Cummings JL, Cole GM.
PMID: 23107780
Free PMC Article
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3580400/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... zrt146.pdf

3. Baum L, Lam CW, Cheung SK, Kwok T, Lui V, Tsoh J, Lam L, Leung V, Hui E, Ng C, Woo J, Chiu HF, Goggins WB, Zee BC, Cheng KF, Fong CY, Wong A, Mok H, Chow MS, Ho PC, Ip SP, Ho CS, Yu XW, Lai CY, Chan MH, Szeto S, Chan IH, Mok V. Six-month randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, pilot clinical trial of curcumin in patients with Alzheimer disease. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008 Feb;28(1):110-3. PubMed PMID: 18204357.

--
Michael Rae
Science Writer, SENS Research Foundation
mikalra@cadvision.com
http://www.sens.org
Reimagine Aging

http://lists.calorierestriction.org/mai ... iction.org

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
GB