Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Need input into my lipids please

Post by Stavia »

ok, still struggling with the lack of sub-particle analysis and how to best hack my lipids as my LDL worries me

December results: diet the usual veggie-heavy, 2 fruits a day, mainly fish but chicken once a week and lamb once every two weeks, several eggs a week, cup of milk a few days a week (full cream, organic, herds of the small farm I use are half A1 and half A2) , bit of goats/sheep feta cheese.
TC 5.2 (201)
TG 0.7 (62)
HDL 1.34 (52)
LDL 3.5 (135)

January results: in a bid to get my LDL down, I stopped all chicken, red meat, dairy, completely and slashed the eggs to 2-4 a week. Zero saturated fat in my diet whatsoever. Interestingly I have upped my cabs a lot 'cos the fruit season is here. And my TG's didn't budge (they dropped a bit lol)
No change at all!!!
TC 5.2 (201)
TG 0.6 (53)
HDL 1.35 (52)
LDL 3.6 (139)

ok...what's a gurl to do???
Last edited by Stavia on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by marthaNH »

Check that second set of numbers, again, Stavia dear. I think you repeated one or something. And I understand why the LDL bothers you, but they are pretty numbers on the whole, to my eyes.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Stavia,

I think "HDL 1.35 (139)" should be "HDL 1.35 (52)"

So in mg/dL terms, your Tg/HDL ratio has improved from:

62/52 to 53/52, the latter being essentially one.

A ratio of one or less is kind of the gold standard. Russ also mentioned Gundry challenged him to get his Tg's in the 40's (md/dL) & you're essentially there.

If you had an NMR, I'm guessing it would be something like Julie's with a very low small LDL-P value with an LDL-P higher than you'd like. I'm guessing your insulin and fasting glucose look good too. The unanswered question is whether you should worry about these results. My results are not as good (on the Tg/HDL), yet I showed no change in my CIMT. Likewise for a 3/3 friend with very high LP(a). She has a great Tg/HDL ratio, very low small LDL-P and very high LDL-P values.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

In the absence of advanced lipids, your TG/HDL ratio is a good (slightly imperfect) replacement. Yours significantly improved as George pointed out- Kudos :D

Two-four eggs a week; yikes. Hope you're supplementing choline. Your brain likes it: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/o ... s/choline/
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Just checking - was your weight stable?

Losing weight can increase the LDL temporarily since you are "eating" some of that animal fat stored on your body.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

RichardS wrote:Just checking - was your weight stable?

Losing weight can increase the LDL temporarily since you are "eating" some of that animal fat stored on your body.
dropped another kilo over that period.
so I should retest in another month?

Sorry for typo. Your numbers confuzzel me
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hey Stavia,
Your numbers confuzzel me
The Tg/HDL ratio of 1 in mg/dL terms works out to 0.436 in mmol/l. Your Tg/HDL improved from 0.7/1.35 to 0.6/1.34 or 0.518 to 0.444.

So in your numbers, the Tg/HDL ratio is 0.436 or lower.

I understand your confulzzelment, I don't think in mmol/l either - I have to do the conversion...
Tincup
E3,E4
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Stavia wrote:

A kilo is within reasonable daily variation. I don't know how much fat loss if any was involved, but I suspect weight loss is not affecting the numbers.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

RichardS wrote:
Stavia wrote:

A kilo is within reasonable daily variation. I don't know how much fat loss if any was involved, but I suspect weight loss is not affecting the numbers.
Thanks Richard. I'm actually convinced that my LDL is totally independent of my diet. It stays at almost exactly the same number from 15% to 50% calories from fat, from red meat/cheese/full fat milk every day to none, from 65 kg to 86.6 kg. I have data going back 13 years.
Funnily enough my TG's seem to be only minimally affected by diet ie carbs as well, maybe 10-15% higher with more carbs up to 70% of calories....
My HDL however has steadily crept up nicely with the ~22 kg weight loss, from 0.78 (30) to now 1.35 (52). <shrug> Just dunno.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Stavia,

Have you run a Lipoprotein(a) test? If so, what is the result?

Cheers,
Tincup
E3,E4