Got my oxidized LDL results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Got my oxidized LDL results

Post by Julie G »

If the hype about this test is true, I'm pretty happy with my results. They came back in the LOW RISK range (<45): 41 U/L. Happy Dance :D I figured that this might be good news for others who are eating similarly.

Dr. Sears outlines the relationship between LDL and coronary artery disease (CAD) in the link below. The correlation between LDL and CAD is far from conclusive UNTIL you look at oxidized cholesterol.
http://www.drsears.com/blog/another-new ... rol-story/
Untitled-1.png
You can see from this data that there is a higher percentage of cardiovascular disease patients with high LDL cholesterol levels compared with very low levels, but not that much. This explains why about half the people who die from heart disease have normal LDL cholesterol levels (less than 130 mg/dl). It also means that high LDL cholesterol is not a very good predictor of heart disease.
graph1.png
On the other hand, a very different picture emerges if you look at the levels of oxidized LDL levels. Even without a background in statistics you can see a very striking relationship in the prediction of heart disease with increasing levels of oxidized LDL levels.

Has anyone else had this test? I recall that we had a member who followed us from 23andMe and popped in a few times. He was eating a healthful LFHC diet and was devastated to find that he tested in the 99%ile for oxidized cholesterol. I always wondered if cutting out starchy carbs might prove helpful with this. It seems like that might be the case, but who know for sure? I'd love to hear from others who've had this test so we can try to make a correlation with diet. This seems like an important biomarker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Got my oxidized LDL results

Post by TheBrain »

Julie, I haven't had this test but wanted to say kudos to you!

And thanks for providing this information. I haven't had my cholesterol tested in three years, so I'm overdue. My total cholesterol has been on the low side for several years (like 160), so I'm curious to find out what it is now and what further testing might be warranted.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Julie,

Where did you get the oxLDL test done? I can't figure out how to get it when I looked into it a few months ago.

The graphs on the Sears link appear to be uncredited. I cannot figure out where they came from. I want to be sure that they both reference raw data rather than "corrected" in a multivariate analysis.

Sears' point about the best oxLDL fighters being polyphenols and other non-patented substances seems right based on my reading. I especially remember the study that compared extra virgin olive oil with refined olive oil and found the oxidation prevention only happened with the EVOO which has the polyphenols preserved. It works out to roughly 1% drop in oxLDL per 1mg olive polyphenols. A 10% drop in oxLDL is predicted from a tablespoon of Trader Joe's California Estate or Spanish EVOO's (120 kcal). Of course, if you simply eat a large green olive (about 15 kcal), you get the same amount of polyphenols without all the extra fat and calories (Green Olives: 161mg phenols/100g. I'm missing the citation in my notes). I've been doing an olive-based hummus for the last few months which seems to work nicely as a dip or on salads.

Also, human trials using green tea or its EGCG extracts work. I've been making decaf tea equivalent to 3-6 cups/day. 6-7 cups/day lowered oxLDL by 35% http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18689551. I suspect decaf processing might decrease the active polyphenols, but I don't need more caffeine.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting. Richard. I didn't track down Sear's references, but I'd like to learn more. I'll poke around... Hope he didn't make them up, LOL.

My new functional medicine doctor ordered the test. I had been begging my internist for years to no avail. Functional practioners have lots of cool tests ;)

I do use the highest polyphenol EVOO, a Coratina, and use lots of EGCG via matcha tea. Maybe that does help.

I was the same as you, Alysson. when I learned about my 4/4 status. I had never done any advanced lipid testing. A good starting point might be to consider a Lipoprotein NMR. Lots of us order the tests ourselves for around $75.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Regarding those figures, as best as I can tell, they trace back to a poster on the Mercola website. It may not be peer-reviewed data but something used internally to support the advocacy of the test.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... XY&cad=rja
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

If the May group ends up going to Berkeley a detour to Amphora Nueva might be fun. They have some extremely high polyphenol olive oils, much higher than the Coratina. Believe me, the polyphenols will knock your socks off and burn the back of your throat!
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Julie...wow, congrats! Excellent results. It would be nice if more of us tested our oxidized ldl for comparison. Did your doctor use Shiel Labs?

With regard to high polyphenol olive oil, I've been meaning to share a link to a small family owned grove I found on the internet in December. I spoke with the owner at length and was very impressed with their sustainable growth plan and organic farming with all of the work done mostly by hand. Last year researchers at the University of Athens discovered an unusually high level of oleuropein aglycon in their Mission variety EVOO. I ordered a few bottles and they are bitter and burning..a good thing lol. Like Richard, I make a hummus with this olive oil rather than using tahini. Here is the grove link in case anyone else is interested in purchasing from them:

http://www.berkeleyolivegrove.com/index.php

and a write-up in Olive Oil Times about the Mission oil.

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil- ... ycon/37958
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Just to be clear, I use pureed olives instead of chickpeas as the base which makes it really easy to take in high amounts of polyphenols without the oil dominating such a high percentage of my diet. It's a nutritional density thing. Certainly, EVOO is a nice addition.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Yum Richard! Please pm your recipe if you don't mind.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I'd like to know what kind of olives you used. It sounds good, and I do love olives.