Pauls results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Pauls results

Post by pgf54 »

I got my long awaited blood test results today and have posted them below, I have converted them to Usa measures where possible.
I would really appreciate any suggestions and help, bearing in mind more tests are not feasible and I do not want to take too many supplements. Also I got the brain buzz from B vits (too many mather donors ? if I remember someone's comments correctly.
My comments are I was pleased to see fasting insulin down, but would like homocysteine down a bit more?
Happy with the fasting bsl and think Hba1c may get better with time, diet and exercise?
Surprised re B12 as I was supplementing 250mcg day and recently reduced to 100mcg a day, perhaps i need to increase?
Triglycerides probably due to over eating nuts and going over my allotted calories.?
I was happy with cholesterol and Ldl, however Hdl always seems to go down when the others do..........In the past I have tried garlic, increased exercise and even alcohol before I knew I was Apoe4............ Its a genetic thing im sure.
Consequently the lower Hdl increases my coronary risk ratio......
Many Thanks Paul

Results 2015

Height 180 cm / 5feet 11 inches Age 60 E3/E4

Weight
2007 Highest 92kg / 202lbs ………bmi 28.4
2014 83.7kg/ 184lbs ……………..bmi 25.8
Feb 2015 69.7 kg/ 153lbs …………….bmi 21.5

Fasting Insulin
2011 …………17 mU/L
2013 ………….14 mU/L
Feb 2015 …………..6mU/L

Homocysteine
2014 ……………11.5 umol/L
Feb 2015 ………….9.2 umol/L

Fasting Blood Sugar
2012 ……….4.9 mmol/l……….88mg/dl
Feb 2015 ………..4.4 mmol/l ……..79mg/dl

Hba1c
Feb 2015 ……….5.1% 32 mmol/l

B12
2014 ………..370pg/ml
Feb 2015 ………..380pg/ml

Triglycerides
June 2009 Highest …. ….8.9 mmol/l …788mg/dl
2014 …….. 3.1 mmol/l ………..274mg/dl
Feb 2015…..1.7mmol/l ……168 mg/dl

Cholesterol
2013 …Highest……6 mmol/l ……….232 mg/dl
Feb 2015 ….3.9 mmol/l ….150.8 mg/dl

LDL
2013 …….3.2 mmol/l ………..123.7 mg/dl
Feb 2015 …………..2.4 mmol/l ……92.8 mg/dl

HDL
2013 ……….1.1 mmol/l ……….42.5 mg/dl
Feb 2015 …………0.7 mmol/l …..27.06 mg/dl

Liver Function tests last time (2014) showed an elevated Gamma gt of 70 U/l (query due fatty liver?)
However Feb 2015 this has fallen to 32 U/L
But Alt remains at upper limit of normal.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Paul well done!!!! Impressive improvements.
Your Hba1c is exceptional for your age. Fasting insulin is good now. Look how insulin resistant you were in 2011. I love the drop in your LDL. Brilliant that your LFTs have normalised and yes it was fatty liver. Look at your TGs in 2009, that points to fatty liver in 2009 without doubt. Dunno why your TGs are still a bit high - they change rapidly though so mebbe what you ate a few hours before. Or mebbe genetic something. Good job on the homocysteine. Your HDL has dropped a bit - mebbe increase excercise?
Good job Paul. Hi five from across the ditch!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Pauls results

Post by Julie G »

Paul, add my congratulations to Stavia's. You've made tremendous progress, my friend. Your drop in weight, insulin, homocysteine, BG and TGs is amazing!!! I'm over-the-moon proud. :D You must feel loads better.

As you wisely pointed out, you need to continue working on reducing homocysteine. I know you're hesitant to supplement, but this may be a case where smart supplementation to aid your methylation, may be worth considering.

Your fasting insulin is still high, although much improved. That's odd, given your good glucose/A1c markers. That may be something to track down. I'd love to get feedback from others on this.

Your TG/HDL ratio is also a little concerning. Lots of peer reviewed data correlates a high ratio with a greater risk and extent of coronary artery disease. Bumping up your HDL (not genetically impossible for you) and further dropping your TGs would greatly reduce your risk.

Our old friend Spunkypup would be proud. I'm attaching a link below from Dr. Barry Sears (for the 2nd time in as many days) on the importance/relevance of minding your TG/HDL ratio: http://www.cbn.com/health/naturalhealth ... ttack.aspx

Here's another link that discusses TG/HDL ratio and breaks it down into nmol/L:
http://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/t ... hdl-ratio/

Keep up the amazing work, my friend. You have made awesome strides.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Thanks Stavia and Juliegee,
I am going to increase my B12 intake and try again with a multi B supplement to see if it helps lower homocysteine. Just an ordinary one, I find a lot of the methylation stuff is over my head..........

I am pretty sure the triglycerides will come down if I cut out the large amount of nuts I have been consuming, I stopped weighing food for a while and a few nuts have become a handful or two.

Probably need to weigh food again just to make sure I don't go too far off track, from my 1800 calories.

Though I know I can bring Tg down I don't feel I can do much about Hdl, to be honest I hate/loathe exercise.. :oops: ....however do make myself walk up to an hour most days and have begun a sedentary jog around the local oval x2 or x3 a week. However with lower tg 's my tg/hdl ratio will be improved hopefully.

Anyway I do feel heaps better and my mind is much clearer. In fact I find most people/ friends have stopped walking with me as they find it hard to keep up :D So I may need to change the below signature ;)
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Paul, its brilliant. You can be very proud.
I know excercise is a pain but it's protective in itself thru BDNF thingies. You could do intervals and get it over with faster. Like walk-jog-walk-jog for 20 to 30 mins. Prolly best 5x a week. Then its done.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Paul,

Your results are stellar! Congratulations!

The most common thought about triglycerides is they are high due to excess carbs in the system. You've taken care of that issue. E4's are known to process lipids more slowly than others. I'm still early on in my n=1 experiments with triglycerides. What I've noticed is there is a spike in Tg's after consumption followed by a decline as the fats are metabolized. Look at the graph in the linked paper here https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... hek#p12254. In my case, the decline is slower than for normals. Sampling with a 12 hour fast, you are sampling at the end of the decline curve. In my case, if I consume a large amount of fat, I can see relatively high numbers at 12 hours. I've yet to look at different kinds of fat to see what, if any difference, this makes on the spike at 2 hours and longer.
Tincup
E3,E4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by Gilgamesh »

Agree with Doc Stavia (not that she needs any seals of approval!)

I've started using an exercycle. I can multiplex with a lot of computer tasks. I can't really do my intense writing project, but I can catch up on forum reading and posting (like now!), and catch up on all these video and podcast links yall are always posting... :lol: (NOW I see why people watgch videos and listen to podcasts: they're spending a lot of time on their exercycles!)

By the way, a couple of new studies have demonstrated better results with lipids with several 10-minute bouts of exercise, compared with the same amount of exercise done in one session. But the BDNF increase wasn't measured. And earlier work showed one needed fairly intense workouts to get the increase. (But we've also seen the Danish data showing less intense workouts correlate best with longevity. I'm still skeptical.)

On the other hand, in rodents, CR increases BDNF more than any kind of exercise. If you're down to 1800 calories, you may be getting all the BDNF increase you can get. Tricky. Wish we had a bunch of studies mixing up all these variables (and APOE status). Someday, perhaps.

GB
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Paul, your lab results have made great progress, especially LDL, HCY, A1c & insulin. The liver fat from previous tendency towards metabolic syndrome, is slower to normalize that ALT. My GI doc reminded me to be sure and get enough Vitamin E (i.e. avocados, because I share your anti-supplement sentiment).