Skin test for Alzheimer's?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Skin test for Alzheimer's?

Post by SusanJ »

Interesting connection to look at the skin since it has the same origin as brain tissue in the embryo.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 164909.htm

They also found increases in a marker for Parkinson's.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Skin test for Alzheimer's?

Post by circular »

Wow, kinda scarey ... Early dx getting closer, easier and cheaper. Combine with smell test in a study to see if best results when both are used?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

A few years ago, the association of decreased AD risk was noted with squamous or basal cell skin cancers (http://www.livescience.com/32042-skin-c ... -risk.html). However, both of these cancers are precipitated by sun exposure, so it's more likely to be just a Vitamin D connection. Still it's comforting to think my basal cell cancer was linked to a 80% AD reduction. My mom has a history of both these skin cancers. Not sure this relates to the skin biopsy.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Interesting points about the skin cancer. I am in that club too. Are Alzheimer's rates higher now than they used to be and if so do we know if it's more than a classification from senile to Alzheimer's?

As I understand it, Vitamin D insufficiency rates are very high and may have been caused by sun avoidance and the slathering on of sunscreen that blocks Vitamin D. Despite my skin cancer history I make it a point to only use sunscreen to avoid sunburn and I take Vitamin D supplements and get sun during the time of year when the angle of the sun is high enough to provide Vitamin D.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

My stepdad, the 3/4, had recurring squamous skin cancers on both hands (yes, from sun exposure over the years), and he still developed AD. So...
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.