Determining right level of alcohol consumption

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

How fascinating Julie. Thank you for posting.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Determining right level of alcohol consumption

Post by TheBrain »

In my teens and twenties, I abused alcohol to the point of binge drinking and blacking out. When I got married at 29, I stopped all that partying and was able to have a glass or two of wine and then stop, though I would occasionally drink too much and (thankfully) get a wicked hangover to remind not to do that again.

For several years, I've been hardly drinking at all because I find alcohol simply doesn't agree with me.

Has anyone come across information about how drinking patterns earlier in life can affect E4s later in life?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

The capacity of a normal liver to detox alcohol is limited to about 8 oz and the byproducts you do not want to know about. It also opens the gut barrier so you get invaders of all types.
Java changes your metabolic set point, is addictive, causes withdrawal, but contains high amounts of poly phenols and one of the highest among foods. The research summary was written by LEF.org and decaf also has benefits all cause decrease in mortality. LEF cafe seems better and I occasionally use decaf and regular but off it. The secret is in the choice of beans and roasting and freshness, the best way is do your own roasting, prepare enough for one week only, but this is expensive to get started and takes time.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Alysson, I'm in the same boat, and also have wondered what long-term effects it would have. Little research has been completed on this, but my guess is that it would have been better not to have drunk much (if anything) in our youth. But a lot of research is ongoing, so we'll know more soon.

GB
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

GB, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the research shows. But I, too, would guess it would have been best to have not imbibed, at least not the way I did!

Gene, I certainly consumed more than 8 oz. during an evening of drinking. As far as coffee goes, I can't drink it. Every food sensitivity test I've ever had shows I'm sensitive to it. One test, a Cyrex Labs one, showed that coffee is cross-reactive to gluten for me. That means that when my immune system sees coffee, it acts as if it were gluten. And I'm gluten sensitive.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

alysson wrote:Every food sensitivity test I've ever had shows I'm sensitive to it. One test, a Cyrex Labs one, showed that coffee is cross-reactive to gluten for me. That means that when my immune system sees coffee, it acts as if it were gluten. And I'm gluten sensitive.
Alysson - it has been a while since I was looking into this, but I believe the Cyrex Labs test for coffee sensitivity was specifically for instant coffee. I believe that some cheaper instant coffee is cut with wheat, hence the "cross"-reaction.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Elsewhere, George wrote:
GeorgeN wrote:To bad most of us don't drink much, it'd be a heck of a party :lol:
I'm still trying to figure out whether DHM could prevent or mitigate ethanol damage --

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/hangover-cure/

If so, party!

(I've contacted the researchers and asked them to speculate, but no response yet.)

GB
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

RichardS wrote:
alysson wrote:Every food sensitivity test I've ever had shows I'm sensitive to it. One test, a Cyrex Labs one, showed that coffee is cross-reactive to gluten for me. That means that when my immune system sees coffee, it acts as if it were gluten. And I'm gluten sensitive.
Alysson - it has been a while since I was looking into this, but I believe the Cyrex Labs test for coffee sensitivity was specifically for instant coffee. I believe that some cheaper instant coffee is cut with wheat, hence the "cross"-reaction.
On the lone-afib board, some found coffee to be a trigger, but later determined that organic coffee was not a trigger.

FWIW I don't drink it, but was getting a histamine reaction when my finance' brewed hers. I had her use organic beans that she ground fresh. No reaction on my part. Later, I had changed my diet so histamine was generally lower. Then I no longer had reaction to the preground Folgers.
Tincup
E3,E4
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

If we go back to the study Julie posted they do define mid and late life. So, I think those of us 65 years of age or under will be able to have a drink or two in Berkeley if we desire! We just can't make it a habit. Personally, I've gone from having wine every night with dinner to having about one glass per week but I'm trying to lose weight. I feel and sleep better without it but I don't yet know the result of cutting back on my lipids.
Because the purpose of the current study was to examine the relationship between alcohol consumption, APOE e4 and cognition during late life, the final sample was restricted to subjects who were 65 years of age or older upon receiving a baseline neuropsychological battery.Of the 2045 participants who received a baseline neuropsychological battery, 610 (29.8%) were 65 years of age or older. For the 610 participants included in the final sample, the average age during the first clinical examination was 44.2 years (range 35.0–59.0 years) and the average age during the eighth clinical examination was 77.1 years (range 69.0–92.0 years). These ages were used to define midlife and late life alcohol consumption and are consistent with the definitions of midlife and late life provided by previous studies (Kivipelto et al., 2001; Whitmer et al., 2005; Solomon et al., 2009).
Conclusions from this study were:
In the present study we did not find evidence that the trajectory of learning and memory during late life is modified according to midlife alcohol consumption status. However, our findings provide evidence that the relationship between late life alcohol consumption and the decline in learning and memory is modified according to APOE e4 status. Moderate alcohol consumption during late life was associated with an increase in learning and memory among subjects who were APOE e4−, whereas moderate alcohol consumption during late life was associated with greater decline among subjects who were APOE e4+. ... The findings from the current study provide evidence that moderate alcohol consumption during late life is associated with less decline in learning and memory for older adults with no APOE e4 alleles, but not for those who carry one or more APOE e4 alleles.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

RichardS wrote
Richard, thanks for mentioning this about the Cyrex test. I confirmed it on Cyrex's web site at http://www.joincyrex.com/page/3050/Coffee.

"Note: Array 4 assesses antibodies to instant coffee antigen, which is shown to be contaminated with wheat, while whole bean coffee did not show cross-reactivity with gliadin."

As such, they are testing instant coffee for cross-contamination, which is a completely different problem from cross-reactivity. So if someone is sensitive to the gluten in wheat, how could they not test positive for instant coffee?

I don't know what kind of coffee the other food sensitivity tests I had used.