Alzheimer's Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes–Evidence Reviewed

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

This was posted in another thread but I wanted to bring more attention it here without distracting from the other thread.

This review is disturbing to me. It seems to imply that even if someone has their weight and blood sugar under control there is a completely different mechanism underlying the "brain diabetes."

I put in italics the part I consider hopeful. IF we can figure out how to slow that down hopefully we can slow down Alzheimer's.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769828/
The bold and italics text is mine.
Altogether, the results from these studies provide strong evidence in support of the hypothesis that AD represents a form of diabetes mellitus that selectively afflicts the brain. ...The human and experimental animal model studies also showed that CNS impairments in insulin/IGF signaling mechanisms can occur in the absence of T1DM or T2DM. Finally, we demonstrated that although obesity with T2DM causes brain insulin resistance with some features of AD-type neurodegeneration, the effects are relatively modest, not associated with significant histopathological lesions, and lack most of the critical abnormalities that typify AD. Therefore, T2DM was deemed not sufficient to cause AD, although it could possibly serve as a cofactor in its pathogenesis or progression. Altogether, the data provide strong evidence that AD is intrinsically a neuroendocrine disease caused by selective impairments in insulin and IGF signaling mechanisms, including deficiencies in local insulin and IGF production. At the same time, it is essential to recognize that T2DM and T3DM are not solely the end results of insulin/IGF resistance and/or deficiency, because these syndromes are unequivocally accompanied by significant activation of inflammatory mediators, oxidative stress, DNA damage, and mitochondrial dysfunction, which contribute to the degenerative cascade by exacerbating insulin/ IGF resistance. Referring to AD as T3DM is justified, because the fundamental molecular and biochemical abnormalities overlap with T1DM and T2DM rather than mimic the effects of either one.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes–Evidence Reviewed

Post by circular »

Nice. This is why I figured they were calling it "Type III D". It's also why I haven't felt confident that having good post-prandial BG measurements is enough to conclude there's no glucose metabolism impairment in my brain. But like you say, if all the other cofactors are healthy we have a better chance :-)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's Disease Is Type 3 Diabetes–Evidence Reviewed

Post by Doctor Lost »

Type 1ain focussed is aotuimmune and type 2 is more associated with metabolic syndrome, type 3 is Brain focussed