Methylene Blue Phase 2 Results Published Finally- Halts Progression of AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Methylene Blue Phase 2 Results Published Finally- Halts Progression of AD

Post by J11 »

The Longecity thread on Methylene Blue was extremely confusing concerning the question of dosing. It was never clear in all the pages whether the target dose should be 60 micrograms or 60 milligrams. Most of those using MB were taking microgram or even picogram doses.

It seems that the AD trials using MB have dosed closer to 100 milligrams.
If true, preventative dosing for AD might need to be in the range of 1-10 mg per day, though this is purely speculative. At those doses, it might be wise to purchase MB pharmaceutical grade sources. After all these years there is still no clarity on dosing for AD prevention. We will have to wait until publication of the phase 3 results for LMTX to know whether it is effective in AD.

The Longecity thread also notes that MB can be converted into LMTX (the reduced form) by adding vitamin C until the solution turns clear.
The LTMX version is suggested by TauRx to be more effective in AD than MB.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

rep wrote:I found this on a thread (http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... is_odd.php) questioning the funding of TaoRx. Turns out the person names Liz is TaoRx's media person.
Wow, it's as if someone created the most suspicious company in the world. :lol:
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

MB is very intriguing, thanks for posting. Buzzing around the internet (actually saw it on Wikipedia; I love WIKI) MB is a MAO inhibitor, so caution is advised for anyone on SSRI's etc. One of our members posted a while back about serotonin syndrome with supplements, I think??? Anyway, thought this was worth mentioning...

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm263190.htm
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

Apparently it's also an Ab clearing agent, so it may or may not work (if it works at all) by targeting Tau tangles. It's entirely unclear how they hope to get this patented.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Ski - What dose did you decide on for the Methylene Blue? At that does do you think that SSRIs are contraindicated?
Methylene blue has been demonstrated to be a potent monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) and may cause potentially fatal serotonin toxicity (serotonin syndrome) when combined with serotonin reputake inhibitors (SRIs). (4) (See DRUG INTERACTIONS.) Serotonin toxicity is characterized by development of neuromuscular hyperactivity (tremor, clonus, myoclonus and hyperreflexia, and, in the advanced stage, pyramidal rigidity); autonomic hyperactivity (diaphoresis, fever, tachycardia, tachypnoea, and mydraisis); and altered mental status (agitation, excitement, and in the advanced stage, confusion). If methylene blue is judged to be indicated, SRIs must be ceased, prior to treatment/procedure/surgery.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Methylene Blue Phase 2 Results Published Finally- Halts Progression of AD

Post by Ski »

I have the product in hand but haven't started it yet. I will start at the 240mcg dose that comes with one drop.

I don't take any SSRI medication, so no concern there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Ski - Based on what they say at the following web-site, IF you were taking an SSRI do you think there might be a problem or would you be below the threshold?

Here is a web-site where they discuss it: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/51 ... nhibition/
Hi aaron43, thanks for posting your experiences with MB. I was referring to the idea that we shouldn't mix 60ug doses of MB with SSRIs. I think that 60ug is far to low a dose for its MAOI inhibition to present a danger when combined with serotonin-raising compounds, even though MB is a relatively potent MAOI. Ramsay et al. find that MB has an IC50 for MAO A of 164 nM. Ramsay's paper is in regards to the danger of combining MB with antidepressants, but they are talking about huge doses, like 100mg taken intravenously. That would be like taking a gram orally. As a back of the envelope calculation considering the blood level of MB produced by taking 60ug i.v., 60ug MB * (um MB/320 ug MB) / 5 litres blood = 37.5nM. This is well under the IC50 for the enzyme, so you would retain most of your MAO A activity. With oral dosing, you would have yet another factor of ten (-ish) margin of safety.

Bottom line: While MB is an MAO A inhibitor at high doses, 60ug isn't enough to get a dangerous MAO A inhibition. I don't doubt that you are feeling something from low dose MB. Have you tried it by itself, without the noots?
#19 devinthayer

860 posts
276 ₮
Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:00 PM
I love being a devil's advocate, but not today. Methylene Blue as an MAOI at the dose Aaron is taking is subtle to say the least. 60mcg of a REVERSIBLE MAOI is unlikely to cause any adverse side effects like a hypomanic state. The effects of Methylene Blue are primarily inhibiting enzymes related to aging, boosting mitochondria health back into a youthful state. This is not antidepressant medication, but an anti-aging chemical. Methylene Blue can be an MAOI, but maybe at a level much higher than he is taking now (like as much as 0.25mg).

Molecular Weight: 319.85 g/mol
Active MOAI A at: 27nM/L (source) ("...very potent inhibitor of MAO A with a Ki of 27nM...")
Blood Stream Volume: 6L

319.85 * 27 * (10^(-9)) * 6 = 5.18157 × 10-5

So an injection of 52mcg would have some MAOI effect. An ingestion of 60mcg would probably not yield a grand effect on MAO inhibition, seeing how the digestive system would release it at a decreasing rate for 2-4 hours.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Personally, if I was on an SSRI, I simply wouldn't take MB, period. I think the 60mcg they talk about is extremely low anyways and as others have mentioned, probably way too low to illicit any effectiveness and is probably more a placebo effect than true benefit some users are making it out to be.

Ive never been one to suffer placebo effects of "natural" remedies I figure, as 95% of them simply have no affect on me, so will be telling.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

The Kordon methylene blue has arrived!

Cannot wait to see how it works out for those on the forum.

One study I read found that by processing banana peels/ pumpkin one can remove heavy metals from water.
I wonder if a similar approach could work with methylene blue.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

New Methylene Blue results:

http://www.gizmag.com/progeria-methylen ... rse/40885/

in vitro... but still cool.

G