Our first guest: Dr. Thomas Dayspring...

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Our first guest: Dr. Thomas Dayspring...

Post by Tincup »

Stavia, have your nephew tell them he has a patient that will be in the locations where you will be. Ask them which ones has representatives and affiliates. Then you can choose.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, add my thanks to everyone else's. Your explanation makes this much easier to understand- Brava! I agree; Dr. Dayspring is an amazing resource. He is 100% objective, not wedded to any preconceived strategy. He puts his patient's best interest above all and is keenly aware of the extra risks our population faces. His Lecturepad series has increased my understanding by leaps and bounds.

Thumperama has more, equally inspiring, guests lined up to weigh in on our issues. Can't wait :D

Welcome, Christine!!! You, and all, are welcome to join us in San Fransisco. We have several terrific speakers/tours lined up. George has linked you to a thread with some details. More to follow.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Ski wrote:Does Dayspring have his own site or are you referring to the Lecturepad stuff?
I was referring to the Lecturepad stuff.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

merouleau wrote:
Ski wrote:Does Dayspring have his own site or are you referring to the Lecturepad stuff?
I was referring to the Lecturepad stuff.
Ditto
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Our first guest: Dr. Thomas Dayspring...

Post by Ski »

Does anyone know if he offers consultations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by thumperama »

@Ski

You can reach him on Twitter @drlipid

He's very approachable.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

thumperama wrote:@Ski
You can reach him on Twitter @drlipid
He's very approachable.
Not a twitter user......do you actually have to post something on his twitter account to contact? Thank you!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Juliegee wrote: Dayspring's answers:
With respect to fat in take - if one wants to choose that for part of a low carb diet or ketogenic diet because they have insulin resistance - one would have to monitor apoB and LDL-P. If they go up, especially if accompanied by increased desmosterol or lathosterol levels (indicating a sat fat induced hyperabsorption of cholesterol) then one could consider reducing saturated fat intake

I think this is a typo. I think he means hypersynthesis. Desmosterol and lathosterol are markers of synthesis. In his lipidaholics anonymous famous case #291 with the lady who went high fat paleo and her LDL p skyrocketed to over 2000, he showed the pathway whereby increased lipid intake drove cholesterol synthesis thru glycerol etc. Note that this is not in everyone, just some people. Please dont panic and stop eating anything. Remember lipid metabolism is extremely complex and there are huge individual variations. That's why we have a beast called a lipidologist.

http://www.lecturepad.org/index.php/201 ... sen-lipids

Now that I understand the context, his advice for question 1 is I think summarised as follows
1. keep IR down. If you have IR limit carbs
2. keep IR down.
3. don't ever ever take plant sterols in supplement form. Some e4s hyperabsorb and plant sterols are more atherogenic than cholesterol and what is scary is that the high levels will not show up in the basic lipid panel ie LDL-C.
4. Plant stanol supplements are probably ok - Benecol is the only one. A stanol is not a sterol. Read labels carefully.
5. Lipids are complex. Test frequently with any diet change. Go on a vegan diet by all means, but check full set of lipids including hyperabsorption markers to see if you are one of the people that hyperabsorb plant sterols.
6. Watch LDLp not total cholesterol.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

A followup question then, Stavia -- if you have a sterol absorption problem, does this increase LDL-P? Or is the only way to know this extra test that it's hard (for me) to get?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

marthaNH wrote:A followup question then, Stavia -- if you have a sterol absorption problem, does this increase LDL-P? Or is the only way to know this extra test that it's hard (for me) to get?

yes it does honey. The phytosterols have to be carried in LDL particles as well as the cholesterol. More phytosterols=more LDL particles. ANd the phytosterols don't show up on a normal cholesterol test cos they not cholesterol, they sitosterol and etc.

I've tried to think thru how I can find out this for myself cos I cant get this test at all in my country.
The only only options I could think of were
1. taking ezetimibe and seeing if that made a difference to apob (cant get NMR here either)- but the pushy out protein doesn't differentiate between the different sterols so dunno if that would help at all
2. travel to the US to get the test.

Then I thought - we only do a test if its going to change the management.
If I were hyperabsorbing would I (a) take ezetimibe? NO, my CVD risk is too low globally.
If I were hyperabsorbing would I (b) eat less fat? probably not, I'm on about 45% to 55%, I wouldn't wanna increase my carbs and raise my insulin.
So I'm kinda chilled about it. Remember Dayspring is very cardiovascularly focussed. Context. Context. Context.