Optimal Protein?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Optimal Protein?

Post by Russ »

Stavia,

Good question. Haven't tried doing any math on it. I wonder whether one workaround might be using a clean whey protein titrating to a point to keep in ketosis? I'm gonna read this body building thing someone linked in this thread and see if it gives me some clues.

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
DollyWagon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DollyWagon »

general protein guidelines are quoted in an interview and are pretty much what I am presently doing and it seems to work for me and I'm not doing a lot of weight training but use my isometric

most days and use the small one when out of town.

it is well know that fasting is good but DrG does an overnight fast 12hr. The food groups he posted in his old book version is very Paleo like Lorain Cordain author of the Paleo Diet.

I'm reading this book by a Dr who practices functional med, it about fasting and detox.. ancient wisdom.

from what I understand carb night only is a small dose of carbs to spike insulin not a pizza pie n bier pig out it is to wake up the thyroid from a lower carb diet and from what I gather it is meant to repair the catabolism of the restricted diet as if you read the article it mentions the well know fact to bodybuilders that carbs are needed for muscle repair and gains and should be increased after weight training. If couch potatoes eat and don't exert themselves and stay active it turns to belly fat or where you body puts it.

back to protein I don''t think I ever read about cycling P, but high intensity weight training like for 40 minutes daily normally would require 3 days off for recovery so muscles can be repaired from the normal catabolism (the reason most people do not gain muscle is because the recovery time is too short and lack of sufficient protein) but the point of the article was that higher protein allows for faster repair and muscle gain although it was not food source protein with the fat and extra calories but used as a low calorie/fat protein supplement. It is a long read but well done.
NotHelloDollyAgainSweetie!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Russ wrote:Stavia,

Good question. Haven't tried doing any math on it. I wonder whether one workaround might be using a clean whey protein titrating to a point to keep in ketosis? I'm gonna read this body building thing someone linked in this thread and see if it gives me some clues.

Russ
Exactly. We are all metabolically unique. There is no way a protein gm/kg that is one size fits all. You need to identify some easy to measure surrogate markers that you can titrate. I found my sweet spot by juggling inputs and watching weight loss, glucose and ketones. I have baseline very high muscle mass so not fussed if I lose some with my visceral fat. Its all about CONTEXT remember. For you Id suggest watching the usual weight, glucose and ketones, workout efficiency (easily measured - reps to failure at a constant load) and Id try and get my muscle mass measured say monthly. There must be one of those bioimpedence scale thingies avialable to you in the US. Mebbe a local dietician. Or trainer.
DollyWagon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DollyWagon »

before I got a tanita body scan scale I used one of these which compared well when I went for an assessment at the health club and it is cheap.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bbcom ... F2C471A38E

you thyroid may also affect your metabolism so optimize it.
NotHelloDollyAgainSweetie!
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Measuring Protein in Diet

Post by rep »

I am confused about determining how much protein to eat and how much I am eating in my diet.

Stavia said:
Protein: I'd say aim for 50 grams protein a day (that's not 50 grams fish, its 50 grams protein, the whole piece of fish/meat/chicken isn't all protein).
How do I know how much protein is in whatever fish or shellfish I eat? Do I have to plug it into cronometer?

Some, like Juliegee, have said they aim for protein at 12%. Does that mean that her protein intake is 20% of her total calories for the day? How, exactly, do you determine that? If the whole piece of fish isn't protein how do you determine that?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

rep wrote:I am confused about determining how much protein to eat and how much I am eating in my diet.

Stavia said:
Protein: I'd say aim for 50 grams protein a day (that's not 50 grams fish, its 50 grams protein, the whole piece of fish/meat/chicken isn't all protein).
How do I know how much protein is in whatever fish or shellfish I eat? Do I have to plug it into cronometer?

Some, like Juliegee, have said they aim for protein at 12%. Does that mean that her protein intake is 20% of her total calories for the day? How, exactly, do you determine that? If the whole piece of fish isn't protein how do you determine that?
Rep,

Cronometer works.

"Some, like Juliegee, have said they aim for protein at 12%. Does that mean that her protein intake is 20% of her total calories for the day? " Assume either 12% or 20% are a typo and you meant them to be the same. So if the number is 20% and her total calories are 1,000/day (making this up for easy math). Then 20% is 200 cals. At 4 calories/gm of protein. This would be 50 grams protein. If you put your whole day's diet in to cronometer, it will tell you the calories for the day and the amount of protein (some of which comes from veggies, not just meat or fish). If you click on the food in Cronometer, below it will show the details of macro and micro nutrients for the food for the quantity entered. For example, 4 oz (113 grams) shrimp is 25.8 g protein.

You can also get food data from the USDA database http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

Here is salmon http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4531?manu=&fgcd= You can see that 3 oz (85 grams) is 16.86 grams of protein.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Rep like George says, you can look on any food database to see how much protein there is in any food. It will give the grams protein per weight of tbe food. And then you add them up.
Yes 20% protein means 20% of calories per day. I eat 1100 calories a day. That means I'll eat 220 calories protein. There are 5 calories per gram of protein. Thus 220 calories is 44 grams protein. Not 44 grams fish.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Stavia,

You mean 220 calories/4 calories/gram = 55 grams protein, correct?
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ugh yes. Brain full. Sorry
Was typing as walking down dark corridor at resthome with 200 demented patients.