New genes and health study to use FB app to recruit participants

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New genes and health study to use FB app to recruit participants

Post by circular »

"The researchers are keenly interested in markers with medical relevance, and will begin by taking a close look at about 100 genes. Certain genetic variants in the APOE gene, for example, increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

"For now, following recommendations of the project’s ethical review board, the researchers aren’t going to tell study volunteers anything about their genetic risk of disease. Participants will be able to download an encrypted file with all of their raw genetic data, however, and those who are savvy about genetics could dig into their health-related DNA markers.

“There are rogue websites out there” — such as SNPedia — “where you can upload genetic data and get some kind of interpretation back about disease risks,” Scott Vrieze, an assistant professor of psychology and neuroscience at the University of Colorado, Boulder, and co-leader of the new app, told BuzzFeed News."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/virginiahughes/ ... omW3Z5MJrm

If this plan doesn't get stopped by the FDA, I wonder how big this list will get???
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New genes and health study to use FB app to recruit participants

Post by tesslo »

:lol: I wouldn't participate....Facebook shares all sorts of info with who knows who. the only people I share my DNA results with are known relatives....I was going to share with my doctor but changed my mind because some of his staff
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New genes and health study to use FB app to recruit participants

Post by circular »

I doubt I'd do it either, but apparently the info bypasses facebook??? I think though that many people on facebook would do it on a whim.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.