Coconut Oil ameliorates neurodegeneration

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Rep honey the ketone thing is still a theory but its very plausible. There is evidence that e4 brains' mitochondrial glucose burning to produce energy (ATP) do not work as well as non-e4 brains' mitochondria.
If our mitochondria cant produce enough energy for the cells from glucose and if glucose is the only fuel available then the cells starve and bad things are produced like amyloid etc. And the cells cant link together efficiently so cognition is affected. If the mitochondria are topped up with ketones to close the gap in energy production (maybe a 5% to 30% gap - the brain cells will always use some glucose, its not an either or) then the cells are happy and not starved so they work well and don't make bad things. And they can link together better so the brain thinks better.
If there are no ketones in the blood there is nothing to top up. If there are ketones in the blood they will go inside the mitochondria to top up what is needed if energy produced by glucose is insufficient. On a normal SAD there are no ketones in the blood hence nothing to top up the deficit hence bad things happen.
We have recently learned from Julie and Martha hearing the worlds ketone brain expert that we might not needs as much blood ketones to top up as we previously though which is fantastic news.

Ps you are still in weight loss phase. Im pretty sure you will have some ketones in your blood cos of your calorie deficit, low carb etc. But when you get to goal weight we can all help you decide what to do next.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Coconut Oil ameliorates neurodegeneration

Post by Julie G »

Quick clarification, Rep took an old quote from me based upon Information Dr. Samuel Henderson shared with the group re. how MCT's are metabolized:
So, if I am understanding all of this, E4 carriers, who are seeking the potentially neuroprotective properties of ketosis, could use MCTs and avoid hyperlipidemia. Intriguing
My understanding here has changed. Dr. Henderson has NOT examined the effect of MCT on E4 carrier's lipids. Because they are absorbed intestinally and we have a propensity for hyper-absorption; they most definitely CAN raise lipids for many of us. My quote above was based upon his understanding.

Ketone esters are the exception. They have ZERO effect on lipids.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

I'm sorry Juliegee. I did a search and was thinking the quote was from March 2015 when it is from March 2014. So much for my cognition.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Axona is mentioned in this thread and many others, so thought I'd put this here.

MANAGEMENT, STRATEGY SHIFT FOR ACCERA
CEO appointed to advance Alzheimer’s drug trials

By Alicia Wallace The Denver Post
6/2/15

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has granted approval for only five drugs to treat the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.

Broomfield-based Accera Inc. wants to develop the sixth and this week named a new CEO to lead the charge.

Dr. Charles Stacey, a former surgeon and neuroscience researcher, has been named president and CEO of the privately held firm. Stacey joined the company in February on an interim basis, coming from Inventages, a life sciences-focused venture capital firm that joined companies including Nestlé in investing in Accera.

Stacey’s appointment headlines a shift in management and strategy for Accera, which previously gained mixed reaction — and, eventually, an FDA warning letter — for its Axona “milkshake,” a medical food to improve cognitive functions in patients suffering from mild to moderate symptoms of Alzheimer’s. Accera now is focused exclusively on advancing a new therapy, AC-1204, through the regulatory process, Stacey said. Accera currently is enrolling for late-stage clinical trials related to AC-1204.

“Essentially, a little company in Colorado is one of a handful of companies in the world in Phase 3” clinical trials for an Alzheimer’s drug, he said.

One of the indicators of Alzheimer’s is the brain’s inability to metabolize glucose as a fuel. AC-1204, which also is mixed in food, aims to boost ketone levels in the brain as an alternative fuel. It is a different formulation, but has a goal similar to Axona.

The Alzheimer’s Association and some physicians in the field have warned against medical foods such as Axona and other alternative treatments. Claims for those treatments often are based on a small body of scientific research and are not subject to rigorous regulatory procedures, the association said.

Stacey said the company stands behind the studies of Axona, but Accera now is focused on advancing a therapy through the FDA’s channels.

If AC-1204 is successful in its clinical trials and regulatory reviews, FDA approval could come after 2020 or 2021.

“There are a graveyard of products out there that address this target and have failed,” Stacey said. “The industry as a whole is really looking for other mechanisms.”

Between 2002 and 2012, 244 Alzheimer’s drugs went through clinical trials, according to the Alzheimer’s Association. Of those, only the drug Namenda received FDA approval.

About 65,000 people in Colorado who are older than 65 are living with Alzheimer’s, according to the Colorado Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association. That number is expected to grow to 92,000 by 2025.

“Certainly, we are very excited about all aspects of research and movement toward ultimately finding a cure,” said Khristine Rogers, vice president of communications for the local chapter.
Tincup
E3,E4