Post examples of your meals here

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Post examples of your meals here

Post by Silverlining »

Yeah!!! Thanks apod for reviving this thread...I tend to eat the same old boring way every day!!! It's just so hard to be vegetarian and glucose intolerant, but I know if I would just work at it, I could eat more variety and your salad inspired me....for tomorrow....aka "Scarlett" style :D . Seriously, thanks, it is beautiful and inspirational...I'll go back through the previous posts here.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

SusanJ wrote:Yum. You should be a food stylist or start a blog. Wow that looks good!
Thanks guys! :) I am playing with an idea for food blog (I've been snapping a bunch of pics lately to stock up on some potential content.)
ktg000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ktg000 »

Now I've been using the chronometer for a bit here are my meal ideas. Any comments gratefully received.

Breakfasts
Most days - mix of nuts and seeds, flaxseed, small amount of buckwheat with raisins (from a packet, you're meant to have the whole packet for one breakfast but I spread it over 4 days), chopped up Apple, skimmed milk.
Once a week - gluten free porridge oats with skimmed milk and raisins

Lunches
Salad! Spinach, watercress, rocket, cucumber, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, olives, extra virgin olive oil, cider vinegar, maybe also red onion, radish, pine nuts with one of:
Half fat mozzarella
Hummus
Sardines
Tinned salmon
Mackerel

Snacks
0 fat natural yoghurt and blueberries
Seeds with tamari sauce
Light babybell (Edam cheese)
Gluten free toast with lightly salted butter containing some olive oil. I know I shouldn't have this one. I just love toast.
Olives

Dinners
Prawn stir fry with veggies, no noodles
Spag Bol with 5% fat mince (can't easily get hold of grass fed or organic lean so is not organic), shredded carrot instead of pasta
Mediterranean veg with mackerel
Organic chicken with kale and gluten free gravy
Wild salmon with mashed cauliflower with olive oil and broccoli
Boiled eggs with asparagus
I did have a take away gluten free pizza last week with 1/3 fat mozzarella!

Desserts and treats
85% cocoa chocolate - 15g
Half of a bar I've found made of cashews, dates and cocoa
Approx 2 glasses red wine a week

Supplements
Turmeric
Vitamin D 1000u
Vitamin B (folic acid, b6, b12, twice a week) but contains normal version of folic acid - could that be bad?!)
Magnesium
Vitamin c
I have resveratrol in the cupboard but not used it.
K
ε4ε4
ktg000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ktg000 »

Ps I have been exercising 2-3 times a week but only for about 30 minutes and must admit I don't like it!
I've lost nearly 1 stone in weight since I started
One thing that worries me (bit random) is that I smoke an electronic cigarette and it does make my nose sore. Would this inflammation possibly cause me a problem do people think?
I hope you're all well and thank you so much for all the help you've given me. I hope if my meals are ok they will give people some ideas too, we definitely need a cookbook!
K
ε4ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wow ktg you're doing amazingly!!! That is an enormous change in a short time.
I wouldn't worry too much about the e ciggie right now. At some stage it will go. Youre doing so much right. And the folic acid is ok for now too imo. Later you can check your homocysteine and see if it's doing enough.
Hi five gurl!!!!
ktg000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ktg000 »

Thank you Stavia, I just wanted to work out what I was doing quite quickly so I could get on with it and stop thinking about it all the time! I've used a private company to repeat apoe genotype testing to confirm (still waiting for the results) so might use them again to check other bloods later. The GP definitely doesn't want to do anything else..quote..a lot of us are going to get dementia, you'll just be in the club earlier.
K
ε4ε4
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I've been playing around with my Instant Pot pressure cooker -- this thing is awesome. I cooked an entire head of romanesco broccoli in 1 minute (once up to pressure), drizzled with a purple maqui berry garlic sauce with hemp + macadamia coated wild berries (ground in a repurposed coffee grinder) with bok choy / kale and wild Alaskan salmon (cooked in 2 minutes with steam):

Breakfast!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Yea! Another Instant Pot-er! I also just cooked a head of romanesco broccoli (I thought it was romanesco cauliflower?) the other night. The Instant Pot is so great.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Gorgeous, apod! When's dinner? Circ, remind me again of the Instant Pot you bought... I'm hoping it'll inspire me to be slightly more creative ;)
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Gracias! Lol. I ended up throwing dinner in that thing tonight too. Curried tempeh (with a tablespoon of beef gelatin) with fennel and a side salad using "power greens" + arugula + avocado + amphora nueva's pomegranate balsamic, with some home-made soaked + pressure-cooked hummus blended with meyer lemon juice, roasted garlic, roasted onion, black pepper, green onion, steamed artichoke, and a generous amount of 400+ poly EVOO, scooped up with purple carrots, celery, and jicama. Kind of an odd meal, but quick and tasty. :D

This is the machine. Kind of scary opening it up. (I usually throw a towel over the top as an extra safety precaution.) http://instantpot.com/