Increasing fats

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Increasing fats

Post by pgf54 »

Just wondered how people on here increase their fat macro nutrient ratios without going overboard with sfa's...............especially those with higher calorie intakes.............Working towards a 50% fat ratio significantly increases my sfa's , whereas very easy to keep low if i have a higher carb ratio, which i am trying to move away from. Is olive oil the best solution ?
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I have my protein most days as fatty fish. ( sardines, salmon etc). This adds a heap of fat calories. The rest is 1T olive oil, 30gm nuts, a quarter avo
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Increasing fats

Post by pgf54 »

Whats your position with eggs Stavia if you dont mind me asking?
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I've been playing around with cronometer lately. I feel like olive oil is likely a much healthier option than high oleic safflower oil, however for the purposes of SFA restriction:

1,000kcal of macadamia oil is around 16.2g SFA / 2.9g PUFA / 89.9g MUFA
1,000kcal of olive oil is around 15.6g SFA / 11.9g PUFA / 82.5g MUFA
1,000kcal of avocado oil is around 13.1g SFA / 15.3g PUFA / 79.8g MUFA
1,000kcal of high-oleic safflower oil is around 8.5g SFA / 14.5g PUFA / 85.1g MUFA

(A 1:1:1 of olive/mac/safflower would be less SFA than olive oil or mac, less PUFA than olive or safflower, more MUFA than olive oil or safflower oil, and more polyphenols than mac or safflower at 13.4g SFA / 9.8g PUFA / 85.6g MUFA. You would also get more vitamin e with the mix than with olive oil or mac oil.)

25g protein from scallops is around 0.3g SFA / 0.3g PUFA / 0.1g MUFA
25g protein from squid is around 0.6g SFA / 0.8g PUFA / 0.2g MUFA
25g protein from shrimp is around 0.6g SFA / 0.6g PUFA / 0.4g MUFA
25g protein from extra-lean turkey is around 0.6g SFA / 0.7g PUFA / 0.6g MUFA
25g protein from chicken breast is around 1.0g SFA / 0.8g PUFA / 1.2g MUFA
25g protein from salmon is around 1.2g SFA / 3.2g PUFA / 2.7g MUFA
25g protein from beef liver is around 1.5g SFA / 0.5g PUFA / 0.6g MUFA
25g protein from lean bison is around 1.6g SFA / 0.2g PUFA / 1.5g MUFA
25g protein from lean beef is around 2.3g SFA / 0.4g PUFA / 2.5g MUFA
25g protein from sardines is around 3.0g SFA / 3.1g PUFA / 2.9g MUFA
25g protein from tempeh is around 3.0g SFA / 5.2g PUFA / 4.0g MUFA
25g protein from eggs is around 6.5g SFA / 2.8g PUFA / 8.1g MUFA

For many of the nutrients you would get from eggs, beef liver might have a better profile (with SFA restriction in mind.) Although, it's not very tasty.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

apod, THANK YOU FOR DOING THE MATH!! I like to do this kind of work but I just haven't had the time or the juice in my battery. This really helps me right now and I am grateful.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Also -- as one who is always working on this issue, I keep wondering about the possible benefits that might be had from following different strategies on different days. I suspect the metrics will average out the same over the week or month, but the body is not a calculator.

This arises from the realization that three days of ketones at >.5 in a week might do my under-nourished brain cells more good than 7 days of ~.2 or .3. You think? More precisely, what happens is that on a normal day with a 14-16 hour or so fast I will get into these low levels and then move out of it as soon as I eat. But on Wednesdays and Thursdays, when I tend to fast as long as 18 or 19 hours and travel, teach, walk, and climb stairs in a fasted state, I can spend 5 hours or more in a range of .2 to .8 or so. This is without really restricting carbohydrates the rest of the week, just eating good food.

But I can't do that every day because I lose too much weight and eat too much SFA and protein. On a couple other days, I could fast a shorter period (maybe just 12 hours), eat more carbohydrates, and aim for low SFA and lower protein.

My theory is that a week of mixed strategies to maximize specific targets might give me partial benefits re: weight maintenance, blood glucose, lipids, and alternate brain nourishment than a daily routine -- with all factors compromised to achieve a kind of balance. I don't know. It may just be that I am bringing my natural tendency to make everything too complicated to the question of diet. I tend to do this in every single aspect of life, so I do try to see it coming. However, I am not *always* wrong.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Paul: a couple eggs a couple times a week or so. 4 to 6 a week. But I vary a LOT just from natural inclination within a range.
Apod - oh my thank you so so much. I guess 25 grams of protein from egg is 5 eggs at just over 1gm sat fat each?

Martha, I hear you. I guess we just don't know the answer. Do you feel any different cognitively when in ketosis?
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by marthaNH »

Stavia wrote:
Martha, I hear you. I guess we just don't know the answer. Do you feel any different cognitively when in ketosis?
Stavia, I don't know that I do. I am treating it as pure prevention, based on what the doctor at the conference had to say about compromised glucose metabolism in the brain and the benefit of keeping neurons nourished periodically with ketones. It might turn out to be of no real benefit, but there are enough big guns interested in it to make me think it's worth a try. And it does keep me from adding body fat (sometimes a little too well).

I have pretty much lost interest in very-low-carb diets, though. I never did go much lower than 30 g for very long. It's easier (and maybe just "better"?) to get there by fasting. At least it is for me. I even made cookies (not very sweet, but definitely cookies) last week, ate them, and zoomed on into ketosis a couple days later, no problem.

I should actually probably share that recipe. It's sort of a nut-butter/oat flour/maple syrup template for something that satisfies the need for a treat without just killing you with sugar and flour.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re:

Post by apod »

Stavia wrote:I guess 25 grams of protein from egg is 5 eggs at just over 1gm sat fat each?
On google, eggs are listed as 1.6g SFA per egg with 6g protein per egg.

25/6*1.6 = 6.7g SFA (although these are rough averages, where on cronometer it came out a bit lower.) However with egg whites, you're looking at a near fat-free source of animal protein, although you're missing most of the beneficial nutrients and eating a potentially allergenic protein.

I tend to eat these soft-boiled (with salt/pepper/hot sauce) to minimize oxidation and eliminate the need for a frying oil and higher temps. I figure they're a good source of choline and not too high in SFA at the 1-2 egg level.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

there is mostly mono fat oil called high oelic oils either safflower or sunflower look for it also called high heat oil.