CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by Gilgamesh »

M, No it was aphorist's post (2015-04-02; 01:05:24) in this very (CONFERENCE...) thread. Or is my computer playing tricks on me? Seems minor enough not to warrant a new thread, but maybe not?

J, I'm confused too, but I'm pretty sure avoiding a lot of methionine, and probably met+cys, would be wise. I've been shrinking, too, but I think it's manopause, which strikes men on my mom's side of the family pretty hard.

The "more protein when older, less when younger" finding is very, very new. I'm more inclined to go with the epid. data: plant-based (which means low, but not freakishly low protein) is best throughout life. I've upped my intake only because of heavy exercise, but it's plant-based. I woulnd't want to be eating meat or fish daily.
Certainly, moderation in ALL strategies.
Shouldn't that be "Possibly, moderation in a moderate number of strategies"? Just teasing. I'm really lost these days, though, I confess. I think, ultimately, it's a good thing for me. I'm learning to get along with my usual Kool-Aid.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: CONFERENCE The Role of Nutrition in Dementia Prevention and Management March 26 - 27, 2015

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for straightening me out, G. Our threads do tend to meander a bit ;) This is an important topic that's been floating around in several of them.

I'm glad you're confused too. Uncertainly loves company. I'm sort of staying the course, with minor corrections until I learn more.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Eating two eggs gives you 0.4g cys and 0.5g meth..........putting my levels up way above the usual lo levels, one of the reasons i am not happy eating eggs and i think i will cut them out again..........
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm startimg to think the fear and anxiety involved with trying to analyze one's way to the perfect diet is worse for the brain than the "average healthy diet", by which I just mean anything but the SAD. If I have to start counting amino acid levels and balances it seems to me just getting too clever by half. My prehistoric ApoE 4 ancestors didn't do anything of the sort. In good times I imagine they ate natural foods but not too much, and not high in grains and seasonal fruit, slept and exercised. Maybe that's enough?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Circ Im with you. I can't face counting amino acids. I admire those who can, its just too big for me.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Micheal R from the Cr society writes a fair bit about methionine here and Rda's , just over half way down the page if anyone is interested in reading more.

http://www.crsociety.org/topic/11136-nu ... entry12331
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

It just seems possible to me that when we get to the point of counting various amino acids we are being reductionist to a degree that can easily backfire. Why wouldn't bad news come out about an amino acid only to be followed two years later with good news about it? It seems at this level of granularity almost everything is a coin - flip it to see the other side.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Circular I am hearing you loud and clear. We have to get some distance from the material and realize that one swallow does not make a spring, or whatever the expression is. You just can't take a bit of data and extrapolate from that to a unified dietary approach for People Like Us. Not that anybody's doing that, I am exaggerating to make a point. And the point is the point that you just made. A lot of this research -- we don't know what it means. But there is damn-near consensus in certain other areas. Some steps are low-stress and low-risk, others may impose real costs if we go "full steam ahead" on an initial interpretation that is wrong.

And everybody is different. I'm not discounting the whole amino acid thing -- given world enough and time, I'd like to know more about it, too. But this stepping back and recognizing the "degree of granularity" that we get down to sometimes, that has value. Thanks.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Just noting that one of the more intriguing comments I got from my phone call w Gundry as that he was personally experimenting with supplementing with glycine to balance with methionine…

https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ine#p11477

But as pointed out by Denise Minger, this is really just an argument for nose-to-tail animal product eating (including bone broth) as opposed to eating just muscle meats. I agree there is a danger in using supplements, as things can get out of balance, but I see no danger in eating whole real foods - themselves already naturally balanced.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Russ wrote:Just noting that one of the more intriguing comments I got from my phone call w Gundry as that he was personally experimenting with supplementing with glycine to balance with methionine…
Lately, I've been running cronometer tracking just to see where I'm at and dial back SFA for a bit. Tracking methionine, it looks like I've been averaging around 2.0g/d, where I should reel that in a bit. Looking at glycine, I'm up around 5.7g/d. I wonder what sort of balance he's working on.