EBT Calcium Scan

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

EBT Calcium Scan

Post by Tincup »

Went to see the documentary, “The Widowmaker” a couple of weeks ago. The screening was sponsored by the doc who has done my CIMT’s and has treated LC/HF for 15 years. It was also sponsored by a primary care doc who does EBT coronary calcium scans. I ordered his CD’s and on them he says to distribute them widely.

Here is a Google Drive link as the files are too big to upload to this site. In the root directory is a PDF of the doc’s brochure. There are two CD’s and I’ve put the mp3 tracks from each in their respective folders.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

I think this paper is where he gets a lot of the ideas on progression less than 15%/year means stable plaque and low heart disease risk. http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/24/7/1272.long
He references the MESA study. Here is a search on it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mesa+st ... 8&oe=utf-8

I've learned that the general scanners at the hospitals generate 3-12 mSv. His EBT scanner (which is not general purpose) generates 0.7 mSv with high accuracy (same range as mammogram exposure). Other exposures for comparison: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safety/?pg=sfty_xray

His protocol:

- get baseline scan @ 40 if male, 50 if female, earlier if family history or other indications
- if zero, retest in 5 years unless family history or other indications
- if >0 when you retest depends upon score
- if >0 institute lifestyle & other treatment (possibly including low dose statins), depending upon level
- goal is <15% year increase as his interpretation is plaque is stabilized and unlikely to rupture.

I plan to do this. His cost is $195. For me, it looks like a way out of the LDL-P correlation loop - some people eating LCHF have high LDL-P no progression. The doc who does my CIMT's is in this category. His LDL-P is 1700 and his calcium score is 0. He has lots of patients likewise. However, it is hard to know whether one is in this category or not. Serial calcium scans looks like a hot option for me. Especially with an EBT scanner, since the radiation level is acceptable (0.7mSv).
Last edited by Tincup on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: EBT Calcium Scan

Post by Julie G »

Thanks so much for sharing, George. I've only listened to half of the discs, but I'm already sold. Given the extremely low dose of radiation; this is a no brainer. If I can't find a closer location; we'll swing over your way (for his & her scans) and maybe get to enjoy dinner with you and your lovely bride :D

I encourage everyone to take the time to listen to this lifesaving information. EVERYTHING else we use to determine risk are mere corellations and pale in comparison. This is a direct measure of the current state of disease in your heart. Do it, if you can. It may save your life.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Really interesting and informative, and seems like the way to go...........My coronary calcium score was zero in 2000 when i was 45, but i have since allowed myself to develop metabolic syndrome then hopefully reversed it..........I am wondering how my result will be now,( how much damage the metabolic syndrome did) certainly worth revisiting..........will get one done a little later in the year...................................
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

George thanks for sharing so generously. What are you thoughts re soft, non calcified plaque?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good morning, Stavia :D Soft vs. non-calcified plaque is addressed in great detail on the discs George has linked. That's part of the reason EBTs aren't recommended for men under 40 or women under 50; little should have calcified by then and the results aren't meaningful.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pgf54 »

Interesting that he identified being thin as a cardio vascular risk factor, also promoted only moderate exercise... and the comments re telomere length and dha and epa made me double my krill oil intake................
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie,

If you decide to come here, maybe we can get a group to go together & convince him to visit with us about our E4 issues after the scans. For a point of comparison, the doc's EBT scans cost $195, without insurance http://www.frontrangepreventiveimaging. ... questions/

Stavia,

His point, from Raggi http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/24/7/1272.long, is that 15% progression or less means no new soft plaque is being deposited. The 15% or less means the soft plaque is being stabilized, as I understand it.
Last edited by Tincup on Sun May 10, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

May I ask who he is and where he is (w/o downloading)? Thanks.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Matisse wrote:May I ask who he is and where he is (w/o downloading)? Thanks.
Phone: 303-443-7226
Fax: 303-443-7168
William L. Blanchet, MD
2880 Folsom, Suite 100
Boulder, Colorado 80304

The link to his website is in my post above .
Tincup
E3,E4
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

George,

Have not yet had a chance to view, but would be very interesting if you could ask Gundry for his view on calcium progression when you have your appointment. He was very anti-calcium scores when I had my consult, but his big argument was that calcium status was backward looking and not indicative of any risk. Progression may be a whole different matter?

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.