New review of ketone neurochemistry and AD

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New review of ketone neurochemistry and AD

Post by SarahAnne »

Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere...how do you find out if you're not even oxidizing fat?! Can it be tested? Thx...
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

SarahAnne, I'm not a nutritionist or physician, and defer to either...but I'll share some clues that I got.

An obvious one was my inability to fast. Even fasting for blood work was close to impossible. I would be the first person at the lab in the morning shaking like a leaf with severe hypoglycemia. I was often unable to sleep through the night without a snack. An irrepressible hunger would wake me up. During the day, I had to have frequent meals or hypoglycemia would set in. I began tracking my BG and on more than one occasion got "LOW" in lieu of a number. I did an OGTT. I only spiked to 140, but my BG dipped into the high 40s before my liver finally kicked in and I got a one point rise (ketones to the rescue!) and I was allowed to eat.

I wasn't overweight. My lipids were perfect. No one suspected insulin resistance, but looking back; the signs were there. I was starting to get belly fat- new for me. My lifelong low BP started to creep up when I was stressed. My cortisol was very high. My fasting BG was close to 100. I would go so far as to suggest that the emergence of Insulin resistance or metabolic syndrome is BIG clue that you're not burning fat.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Juliegee wrote:Really interesting presentation by J. Stanton. Thanks for sharing Amy. It helped this non-scientist wrap my head around a few important metabolic concepts.
I want to second this, Amy - Stanton's presentation brought some key ideas together for me - a real aha! moment. His website looks very interesting too and is on my reading list now.

Thank you for all of your contributions to this thread. I'm too busy right now to respond in detail, but I have read it all several times. (I also continue to enjoy your cancer series and had another flash of insight after reading your latest entry - more on that after I have time to research and explain.)
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

What a wealth of knowledge in our hallowed halls. Learning, learning, processing...and, wait. Amy?

You're in Fairfax? I just saw that on your FB page. Girl. I'm in McLean. lol You taking new clients? :)

Serious as a potential e4/e4-induced myocardial infarction. If you're not comfortable answering me here, I'd really appreciate your DMing me. :) Oh, and I'm all about the mild ketosis now. A-yup. :)
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.