Pomegranates, Figs and Dates Alleviate Neuroinflammation in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease (2015)

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Pomegranates, Figs and Dates Alleviate Neuroinflammation in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease (2015)

Post by apod »

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0120964
Natural fruits, nuts, herbs and vegetables constitute a wide array of biologically active compounds including ferulic acid, anthocyanins, ellagic acid, punicagins, flavonols, phenolic acids and very important micronutrients such as phosphorus, iron, potassium and calcium, that are found abundantly in the plant kingdom. They are gaining interest due to their beneficial properties and with minimum side effects. Some of these natural products are effective in treating or preventing the majority of cardiovascular, metabolic and neurodegenerative diseases. Antioxidant activity is the key factor of all flavonoids by which they mediate the beneficial effects against the majority of many different diseases. The actions of dietary flavonoids involve a number of effects within the brain, such as modulation of neuronal signaling and the protection against neuronal losses.
The conclusive figure showing the inflammatory signaling pathways in Alzheimer’s disease mouse model (APPsw/Tg 2576) and protection by dietary supplementation of pomegranates, figs and dates as potential complementary and alternative medicine for the neurodegenerative diseases.
pgf54
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pomegranates, Figs and Dates Alleviate Neuroinflammation in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease (2015)

Post by pgf54 »

All my favorites and all given up in a quest for lower blood sugars..........
Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Pomegranates, Figs and Dates Alleviate Neuroinflammation in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease (2015)

Post by Starfish77 »

What great news. They are some of my favorites too. I had five cuttings from a friend's two fig trees that I had been
growing in 12 inch pots. After three years they were outgrowing their pots. Yesterday your post inspired me to transplant them into 22 inch pots. Last year they had a couple of figs but the raccoons beat me to them.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Friends,

I cannot stress enough the importance of reading, and always bearing in mind, Stephen Spindler's important article about how to conduct lifespan studies in animals:

"Review of the literature and suggestions for the design of rodent survival studies for the identification of compounds that increase health and life span"
Stephen Richard Spindler

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3260350/)

The pomegranates, figs and dates study fails to rule out a calorie restriction effect (or did I miss it?), so it is, alas, pretty worthless. It's a shame, since I love figs!

And while we're at it, it might be worthwhile to look at this:

"Lifespan effects of simple and complex nutraceutical combinations fed isocalorically to mice"

(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039264/)

Off-line for a week or so starting shortly. STay well, everyone!
GB
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

We always appreciate your sensible comments. Even if figs aren't the magic cure for AD, fig trees are dought tolerant,
and look attractive. The raccoons will probably be getting to them before they are fully ripe saving us from the extra
calories. Thanks for the articles.

We will miss you for the week and hope you get to do and learn interesting things while you are away.