Karelena's NMR

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Karelena's NMR

Post by karelena »

Hi

It was so great to meet some of you at the SF meet-up! I mentioned my lab results and had some helpful comments, but I did not remember the exact results so here they are:
Everything is within normal range unless indicated.
LDL-P 1259 ("mod high")
LDL-C 122 ("above optimal," optimal = <100))
HDL-C 88
TG 85
Total Cholesterol 227 ("high," normal <200)
HDL-P 42.8
Small LDL-P <90
LDL size 21.8
Large VLDL-P 3.3 ("high," normal <2.7)
Large HDL-P 15.1
VLDL size 69 ("high," normal < 46.6)
HDL size 10.1
apoB100-calc 97
Lp (a) cholesterol 12 ("high", normal < 10)
HDL-2 (most protective) 33
HDL-3 (less protective) 50
VLDL-3 (small remnant) 9
LDL Density pattern A (large buoyant LDL)

Other labs
HBA1C 5.5
CRP 0.71
Lp-PLA2 229 ("high," normal 120-199)
Homocysteine 12.2
Iron 72
TSH 0.635
T4 7.5
T3 uptake 25
Free thyroxine index 1.9

Please let me know what you think and what I can try to tweak in my diet!

K
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Karelena's NMR

Post by Stavia »

Thanks honey
Julie and I have just discussed your tests. She will respond later

Your pattern is excellent for an e4e4 in particular your high functioning HDL which is cardio and neuroprotective. I am jealous in the nicest possible way.

I don't know enough about VLDL, but it is a risk factor. Julie will comment further on it. Perhaps edge down calories a little by dropping a little total carbs?
If you substitute more fat for the decreased carbs it may drive your LDLp up higher. So maybe substitute a little carbs with nothing? Just a teeny bit to start.

1200 for LDLp is what I would be very happy with. Good job

I see your homocysteine as you shared previously. According to Ram it is an important factor in amyloid aggregation.

Your other bloods are excellent!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

I forgot to ask Dr. Bredesen why he has HCY goal of "6 or below" on the top of his new list. Since taking Dr. Isaacson's recommendation to Max ( my HCY decreased a few points to 9.8. Mer recommended adding NAC and Dr.B has 400-500mg on his recommendations, so I ordered: According to Genetic Genie, I do have a predisposition for higher HCY and possibly you do as well.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I asked Ram this at lunch. At a homocysteine greater than 7 amyloid aggregates faster. So they have set the target below this threshold.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Post by karelena »

Thanks for the responses!

I just found out from Promethease that I am homozygous for C677T of the MTHFR gene which means I only have 10-20% of normal enzyme activity. That is why the homocysteine is so high.

I am now taking:
Vit B6 as P5P 50 mg
vit B12 as methylcobalamine 1 mg
Folate at 5-MTHF 1 mg

My level of 12.2 was before starting these but I was on a multivit that has Vit B6 30 mg, Vit B12 100 mcg, and folate 400 mcg.

Should I add trimethylglycine now because my level is so high or wait and see if it is OK on just the vitamins? What are the chances it will be <6 without TMG? Anyone else here with C677T?

Homocysteine is at the top of the list on the handout we were given at Buck before Dr. Bredesen's lecture, and when I met him he asked me if I knew my HC level and said it was too high. He also said I should check my B12 level, which should improve now that I am taking 10X the previous amount.

Is there anything else that will lower HC?
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

I take NAC for this reason and with these results.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Karelena I will email you a photo of the handout that was at the Buck. Merouleau is going to format it for the group when he is home which will be a little while.
....edit....oh I see you have it. Sorry. Just arrived home after 13 hrs flight.
......hmmm....my 2 cents worth is do you want to be minimalist? And if you want to really know if you need the extra stuffs imo a few weeks won't be dangerous in the long term. But my guess is that you do need the extras.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves Karelena! Kudos; GOOD advanced lipid panel, etc. Your genetic propensity for high functional HDL should serve you very well. You've already narrowed in on one important area to work on- homocysteine, but I'll toss out a few others for consideration.

I'm a little surprised by your high VLDL. Here's a current link on VLDL from Mayo:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... q-20058275
High levels of VLDL cholesterol have been associated with the development of plaque deposits on artery walls, which narrow the passage and restrict blood flow.

The best way to lower your VLDL cholesterol is to lower your triglycerides. Losing weight and exercising regularly are key, and you might also want to avoid sugary food and alcohol in particular.
In my experience, lowering refined and starchy carbs is of huge help here. I agree with Stavia that you need to be careful not to replace them with lots of additional dietary fats given that your LDL-P is decent (for a 4/4) but borderline- you certainly don't want to push it in the wrong direction. You may consider substituting MUFAs for SFAs (EDIT: I originally had MUFA/SFA switched- sorry ;) ) as they may allow you to safely up fats a bit and freely increasing non-starchy vegs. Exercising and going slightly HYPOcaloric could also be useful.

Moving in that direction will also knock your A1c down. (Did you notice that even Dr. Bredesen moved his target from 5.5 to 5.0?

Also, given your borderline Lp(a) it might be good to consider niacin.

It was wonderful to spend time with you and your sweet husband. I'll look forward to continuing our E4 climb together :D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

K, I am also C677T homozygous.

You should see some drop in levels with higher B vitamins, but you might not get as low as you like. Mine is stubbornly stuck at 8.

Try reading some of Ben Lynch's work on this if you haven't already. http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-b ... 012/02/24/ and be aware of potential side effects http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

Try reading through http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/ ... on/Page-01 for other ideas that might apply to you.

Methylation is complicated and more that 677. For example, you can look to see if you have CBS mutations which effect the transsulfuration pathway. A good place to check methylation snps is genetic genie if you have done 23andme.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

karelena wrote:Hi

Other labs
HBA1C 5.5
Lp-PLA2 229 ("high," normal 120-199)

K
Overall, for a 4/4, doesn't look bad to me. Since you have a calcium score of 0, for now I wouldn't worry too much about increasing LDL-P if you increase fat (including sat fat) for carbs. The A1C is a little high, carb reduction should help this.

Gundry suggests 60 mg/day of pychnogenol and 200 mg/day of grape seed extract to help the Lp-PLA2. Mine is in the same ballpark.

Enjoyed spending the time with you and your hubby. Glad you had a safe trip home!
Tincup
E3,E4