Determining right level of alcohol consumption

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Determining right level of alcohol consumption

Post by TheBrain »

GeorgeN wrote:
On the lone-afib board, some found coffee to be a trigger, but later determined that organic coffee was not a trigger.

FWIW I don't drink it, but was getting a histamine reaction when my finance' brewed hers. I had her use organic beans that she ground fresh. No reaction on my part. Later, I had changed my diet so histamine was generally lower. Then I no longer had reaction to the preground Folgers.
George, thanks for sharing this information. I'm glad your histamine intolerance has improved.

I have suggested to my husband that he use organic coffee from now on. He has histamine intolerance, though eating fermented veggies has greatly reduced his symptoms (which is contrary to the usual advice for people with this intolerance to avoid ferments).

I actually never drank coffee either, so I really don't have an issue with not drinking it. Over my life, I've had sips of coffee here and there but probably not even the equivalent of a cup. It never tasted good to me.

Instead, I drink green tea, as well as herbal teas, just about every day.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hey beautiful people! Just a quick Hello and a note from my writer's retreat about a new study:

http://www.businessinsider.com/abstaini ... fe-2013-12

No mention of APOE effects, but surely the study itself stratified by APOE status, right? Nope! (I checked wth the authors.) This study (and "non-investigative" reporting on it) could (likely) shorten the lives of ~20% of people in the West. Frustrating!

GB
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fidel »

Last year i was eating whole wheat rum cake, thinking it would improve my lipoprotein numbers, but it appeared to contribute to their worsening. Was also eating too many nuts and seeds as well, so too much fat was likely an even bigger factor, especially in the light of the research about apoE-4 people.

Alcohol doesn't really agree with me anyway. The little bit in the rum cake was more for flavoring. If i do have a rare drink, perhaps i'll seek out a green tea rice wine.

Caffeine can trigger an anxiety attack in me, so i practically never drink coffee other than a rare decaf or coffee vegan ice cream since i like the flavor. Have also been eating a low sulfur diet and coffee doesn't fit into that.
3/4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

About DHM, a much cheaper alt. to DHM Depot's product:

Don't know about the company but I think I'll buy a batch and try it. But first I want to wait to see their reply to my ? to them about where they're located (I don't buy things to ingest from China).

G
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

I think the right level is zero. Also you said you sleep better however it is well known that any alcohol within 4 hours of bedtime will disrupt rem sleep. I personally don't drink anymore. I drunk like an idiot into my 30s. If someone asks I just say I don't drink. If they ask why. I just say I've got kids and I want to be on point for them in the morning and not feeling like crap. They wake at 6:30am every day. I also have hereditary hemochromatosis so I had iron overload. My liver has been through a lot and it doesn't need the additional stress. But honestly it just comes down to that it makes me feel like crap. I can feel even 2 beers the next day. Sometimes in social situations I will get a soda water with a lime in it just so I don't get questions or pressure. But honestly I don't give a shit about what people think, if misery loves company they can do it on their own. I know whats good for me and it isn't alcohol. If you have a problem with that you aren't my friend and I'm done with you.
Simon
ε4/ε4
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Gilgamesh wrote:But first I want to wait to see their reply to my ? to them about where they're located (I don't buy things to ingest from China).
Still no reply.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

PROOF that it’s a really bad idea for us to get drunk. Also, it looks like popping a pre-cocktail N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC) supp could help mitigate toxicity effects. I regularly take 400mg AM & PM. I might rethink timing when I plan to enjoy a splash of cabarnet… for the resveratrol, of course ;).

Apolipoprotein E4 exacerbates ethanol-induced neurotoxicity through augmentation of oxidative stress and apoptosis in N2a-APP cells.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... from=apoe4
Abstract
Neuronal loss is a prominent phenomenon in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and alcohol-induced brain damage. Alcohol abuse is associated with an increased risk of AD, regardless of the type of alcoholic beverage. Furthermore, the detrimental effect of excessive alcohol consumption on the risk of AD is exacerbated among people carrying apolipoprotein E (APOE) ε4 allele, the major genetic risk factor for AD. However, how APOE ε4 and alcohol abuse synergistically enhance the possibility of AD is unclear. Here we show that in N2a cells stably expressing human APP695 (N2a-APP), high-concentration ethanol-induced neurotoxicity was significantly augmented in the presence of apoE4 protein, compared with apoE3 protein. Early and late apoptotic cells were apparently more in cells treated with the combination of apoE4 and ethanol, compared with that of apoE3 and ethanol. Inhibition of apoptosis using a pan-caspase inhibitor z-vad resulted in abolishment of the apoE isoform-specific effect on high-concentration ethanol-induced neurotoxicity. Moreover, compared with apoE3, apoE4 augmented ethanol-induced cellular oxidative stress, and pre-incubation with a reactive oxygen species (ROS) scavenger NAC abrogated the specific effect of apoE4 on ethanol-induced neurotoxicity. Taken together, our results for the first time demonstrate that apoE4 and high-concentration ethanol synergistically enhance neurotoxicity through elevating cellular oxidative stress and increasing neuronal apoptosis, and support the notion that avoiding excessive alcohol consumption can help to prevent AD especially in APOE ε4 carriers.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

The lower alcohol content of the Dry Farm Wines will fit right in, then. (We recently got our first order and are really enjoying them. They live up to the advertising.) And, yes, Julie - definitely pursuing the resveratrol. :D
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Julie G wrote:Also, it looks like popping a pre-cocktail N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC) supp could help mitigate toxicity effects. I regularly take 400mg AM & PM. I might rethink timing when I plan to enjoy a splash of cabarnet… for the resveratrol, of course ;).
What brand do you use? I should probably start taking if I'm going to have cocktails this holiday season!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

What brand do you use? I should probably start taking if I'm going to have cocktails this holiday season!
Hey, RU- I use Bronson's for both the quality and because I like the 400mg dose. I target 800mg daily, but like to break it up into equally divided AM & PM doses. I use it for both the detox effect and to upregulate glutathione.