Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Stavia »

NMR back. I didn't think it would be this bad. LDLp 1570. :(
New Doc 17.pdf
New Doc 16.pdf
on the good side I see my IR score is good. My HDL TG ratio good at darn close to 1. My particle size is medium. JUST TOO MANY OF THEM ARGH. And I didn't manage to do George's calcium scan on Friday and here I am 12 hours away by plane. My country has calcium scanning just higher radiation dose. Not keen.
What's a girl to do? ezetimibe?
::: Cries:::
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Stavia »

apod wrote:Stavia, have you looked into thyroid hormone levels? It seems like thyroid hormones would have to be on the low side to support a 1200kcal/d calorie-restricted diet (CRON diets often average up around 1800kcal), which could lead to decreased LDL receptor expression, decreasing cholesterol synthesis and elevating serum cholesterol / intestinal absorption / apo-B.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jc.2011-2532
My TSH is consistently under 2 on serial measurements. I looked it up yesterday. 1.7 to 1.8. So that's also good.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stavia, would you consider using Zetia and should you have rs801494AA (predicts a 40% decline) a half-dose(5-10mg) of pravastatin? Did you have a lp(a)? It appears that you have pattern B, but remember that those med/lg LDLs might be linked with amyloid. I recall being disappointed that my small LDL only decreased 33%, but my medium LDL decreased 49% on the 2 month retesting., but now I'm not. Another aspect to consider if the stress of the trip complicated with your husband's pneumonia, all likely to increase cortisol and cholesterol. I wish it was easy for you to retest. Do you have access to have a carotid ultrasound with intima measurements? It seems like evidence via US or calcium scans would tilt your decision as to drug treatment or not.
Last edited by KatieS on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

(((Stavia))) You know how Drs. Dayspring & Krauss would proceed. Given your low/normal desmosterol AND previous experience with statins, however, I'd proceed cautiously there. Ezetimibe seems like a reasonable strategy to trial -the lowest possible dose- especially given the evidence that it can upregulate synthesis when not coupled with a statin.

You know I'm not a physician, but rather a keen observer of E4 diet interactions. This may feel counterintuitive; but I'd concurrently shift some carbs to MUFAs. Your overall particle size is too small with small LDL-P quite high. Dietary fat is the only strategy that can effect that change. Bigger particles = less particles. Even your HDL Boston Heart fatty acid profile indicated you were low in MUFAs.

It would be great to get an EBT. That would provide you with evidence re. how aggressively you need to proceed. Is the radiation dose substantially higher in your country? What is your lifetime exposure like? If low, it might be a good bet.

Your results aren't awful, just not what you were hoping for... I'm proud of you for going to extraordinary lengths to gather all of the evidence you did while in the states. Smart girl.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Good thinking team.
Kitano, thank heavens my Lp (a) is ok.
I'll check out the rs.
And yes I was under insane stress for many reasons that week. I thought I was going to shatter into tiny pieces it was so bad.

Julie: smart thinking. Too many carbs and too low fat. I'd been using those sweet potato chips a lot prior to the draw because there was nothing else to eat and couldn't get avocado and olive oil into my diet because it was impossible. Phew. Makes sense.
Cos the LDLp doesn't correlate with my apoliprotein b I did a month before.
I'm so relieved.
What I will do is increase MUFA and redo the apoliprotein b in a few weeks.
I'll see if I can get carotid intimal thickness. Otherwise low dose calcium scan next year if I can come to the conference.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hey Stavia,

Remember my lesson from last summer - even though LDL lasts for 3 days, I could move my numbers all over the map with what I ate the night before. Recent diet before test makes a big difference. Stress is a HUGE factor!

I'm noticing on our continuing holiday that I'm sleeping very well - no amber glasses - no melatonin & etc. My life should not be stressful, but stress is ALL perception.

After Dr. Rao's contribution and reminding me of ayurveda, I tried taking my ayrvedic pulse - learned twenty years ago & rusty from disuse. Noticed my "vata" dosha (don't worry you need to study ayurveda to understand) - which is usually correlated with excess stress - was well in-line.

I'm guessing all will settle in when you are back in the routine and your hubby recovered.

If you think about taking anything, I'd add niacin. It is what dropped my small LDL-P off scale low. If interested, I have the guy's book who treated with it for 40 years & I'll send you info.

Also, I ate LCHF diet for five years & then tested. My numbers were about like yours. My recent calcium score was 17 (very low) - don't know when the calcium precipitated, but may have been (as you pointed out) from smoking for 8 or so years during undergraduate studies & shortly thereafter. In any case, 5 years of liikely high LDL-P scores didn't clog me up.

All in all, relax, smile, remember the connections we made, do some yoga & meditate.

Don't worry, be happy!

Cheers,

George
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

thank you darling (((George bunny))), I was about to email you but I've been so busy at work and been up since 3am (jetlag argh).
I was thinking niacin actually, you did send me the book but there is no way I will have time to read it in the next few weeks.
Might I ask you to write me a short executive summary? Like a paragraph or two? eg doses, why it works, what to track, side effects, any possible long term toxic effects.
I will be able to get apolipoprotein b here to track. I can get a carotid intimal thickness here. We only have the heavier radiation dose calcium scan machine, I'm not keen
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

George, since Dr. Krauss mentioned that having a "dramatic response to niacin is determined genetically, do you or anyone know which SNPs have been identified? I was unable to find niacin listed on Promethease medicine data base.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hey Stavia,

Not sure what I sent you - ah yes - that was about histamine - a little different application. Book I'm thinking of is printed, so will have to wait till I return home. I will create summary for you.

For others, here is the book: http://www.amazon.com/Cholesterol-Contr ... rds=niacin.

No-flush niacin is not effective for heart. Don't want timed release, though the Slo-Niacin brand is OK.

Should watch liver function test - though Dr. Parsons says it is not a huge issue, just makes liver more active.

My experience is somewhat higher serum glucose and ketones (from liver activity, I presume).

I'll look at the book for when I return for a better summary.

Kit,

No clue what the SNPs are...

If Ski is reading, I'm sure he's looked into this in more detail than me.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

found this from Dayspring
Niacin_MOA.pdf
Lipid_Treatment_Algorithm.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.