Might Alzheimer’s Disease Be “Foodborne”?

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Might Alzheimer’s Disease Be “Foodborne”?

Post by Stavia »

Ah yes the prion theory. Julie has mentioned that a team in the eastern USA is working on this.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Just wanted to clarify that the original Mercola article is talking about TDP-43, which is detected in 25-50% of Alzheimer's cases, but is more associated with other disease such as ALS or FTD. There is a case study of TDP-43 pathology being exacerbated by apoE4. The link to the Washington University report is talking about tau, which leads to the neurofibrillary tangles in AD. There is a theory of tau seeding, where it spreads from neuron to neuron in a prion-like way. ApoE4 is thought to increase tau phosphorylation, leading to tangles.

I think the evidence for foodborne aspects of this is remote, but you never know.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Might Alzheimer’s Disease Be “Foodborne”?

Post by Stavia »

Harrison wrote:Just wanted to clarify that the original Mercola article is talking about TDP-43, which is detected in 25-50% of Alzheimer's cases, but is more associated with other disease such as ALS or FTD. There is a case study of TDP-43 pathology being exacerbated by apoE4. The link to the Washington University report is talking about tau, which leads to the neurofibrillary tangles in AD. There is a theory of tau seeding, where it spreads from neuron to neuron in a prion-like way. ApoE4 is thought to increase tau phosphorylation, leading to tangles.

I think the evidence for foodborne aspects of this is remote, but you never know.
Thank you Harrison :), I haven't had time to research this yet, great explanation!
I apologise for my confuzzlement. So many facts. So little time.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

You're welcome. No kidding about so many facts and so little time. I sometimes feel like if one person (or perhaps an AI like IBM's Watson) could read every PubMed paper we would understand everything.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Might Alzheimer’s Disease Be “Foodborne”?

Post by Stavia »

Harrison wrote:You're welcome. No kidding about so many facts and so little time. I sometimes feel like if one person (or perhaps an AI like IBM's Watson) could read every PubMed paper we would understand everything.
This is exactly why I am hoping our forum can evolve into a "group mind" :)
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

Could grilled cheese sandwiches be behind the black plague?

Could malomars be harbingers of breast cancer?

Might the flu be a result of eating too many pringles?
Kathleen1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Kathleen1 »

Pringles are the most fun (of the three items you mentioned) to throw in campfires/something about the fat and surface area arrangement----sorry, should have posted this in a different thread but could not resist. It is Friday.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

We used to throw unopened cans of olives into the fire, and duck. That's how I developed the theory that canned olives are a major cause of idiocy borne injury. I think I'll submit it to mercola.