Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Stavia »

Ive edited the above to add his algorithm
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

(((Stavia)))

You are in hyper mode. Don't worry about this, let your life settle back into its routine, let your hubby recover, play your music. Then retest with the test available in your country. If it has returned to baseline, then don't worry, or maybe add some niacin. My suggestion is not to use the Niaspan (as Dayspring suggests). The Niaspan combo of niacin & an antihistamine is not a good plan.

George
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Why would someone put antihistamine with it?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

To control or counteract the flushing (which is minimized anyway after consistent use).

The negative studies published on niacin were done with Niaspan.

From Gundry's FB support group:

July 16, 2014
Q: Just saw the results of this study today and wonder if Dr. Gundry will continue to recommend the use of Slo-Niacin as a supplement to complement the diet. Have been taking it but of course now second guessing myself.

Steven Gundry: Oh yeah, I have never recommended the prescription form of niacin, Niaspan, because of its poor profile. The head of Abbott labs has met with me twice to find out why their version of Niacin should not be used. This has been known by myself and others for over 12 years. This is not new, startling info!
Dr G

In this paper http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content ... cts/A16318 He says, "We strongly recommend that pts on Niacin should have Lp-PLA2 levels checked and if elevated, started on Fish Oil, Spirolina, Grape Seed Extract, and Pycnogenol." With one of his patients that shared Dr. G's recommendations for him, Dr. G suggests 200 mg/day of Grape Seed Extract and 60 mg/day of pycnogenol. I consume 1 g/day of DHA/EPA and I have a reaction to spirolina, so don't take it.

I was concerned as my LpPLA2 was slightly elevated before taking niacin. Even more so just before starting it. After following Gundry's niacin protocol LpPLA2 was still slightly elevated but lowest reading I'd had. For me that is 1g/day of niacin as SLO-Niacin brand, plus the 200 mg/day of GSE, 60 mg/day pycnogenol & 1 g/day of DHA/EPA.

Is SLO-Niacin (OTC) available in your country?
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I can order it online, not a barrier.
But I can't get Lp-PLA2. Hmmmm....
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Did some more bloods.
Hba1c 4.9. Very happy. IR conquered.
B12 700ish
TSH 1.2 (Bredesen target <2)

But but but
Homocysteine 10ish. Grrr. Am taking non methylated thingies as I don't have the major MTHRF mutations. About to order methylated thingies from iHerb and will start slowly. As per Bredesen will consider betaine in 3 months but I am very aware of Ski's foggy brain reaction to it.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Stavia,

Your comment about fasting insulin being most important is brought home in this blog post: http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2015/ ... f-diabetes Just downloaded Kraft's referenced book. Plan to read on the flights home...

This week toured a public works reconstruction project from the 1930's. Noted how thin the workers were in the photographs. I've noted this before and this high school gym program from the 1960's is dramatically contrasted with the young today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQth3QEXtA
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Adding betaine after the initial folate and B push is a common approach to lower homocysteine.

I use it all, methylated folate, B12, B6, etc, along with 500 mg betaine. Be forewarned, my homocysteine has been stubbornly stuck at 8 for some time. I do believe this is one of the hardest nuts to crack in the "how to supplement" question. I feel there are other connected genetic issues that I have yet to put a finger on, so no "ah ha" moments yet. Keeping my eyes open...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks honey. I'll be happy with 8...
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Stavia, do you think the cholesterol absorption/production markers test was worth the cost? I've been saving and planning on ordering this test, but rereading this thread, I'm not so sure. You turned out to be a moderate producer, but a higher absorber and that is unrelated to diet, correct? So, your only recourse would be Zetia? Before the nmr results, you were leaning toward not taking anything, but then with the high particle count, has that influenced you with regard to zetia/statin? I do have an nmr test slip waiting, but I want to be sure I'm on a few days of my "normal" diet and routine before I do the blood draw.

Anyone else other than Rep take this test? If so, is it worth the money in your opinion?