Re: From Dr. Rammohan "Ram" Rao

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Silver I'm surprised you'd want to hang upside down with the CTD. My "instinct" is that it's too extreme for us , potentially over stretching some spinal and other ligaments? I personally would start at a slight incline and gradually increase while tuning in deeply?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Ram, can you please offer some insight re. the safety of matcha tea? Until just recently, I've been convinced that it's been a helpful part of my prevention strategy because of the high level of antioxidants and ECGC that it offers. Others here have recently raised concerns about cleanliness, heavy metals, radiation, and manganese toxicity :shock: Now, I'm just plain confused. Can you help us seperate the fact from fiction? What source do you use to avoid the pitfalls above?

Huge thanks for your guidance.
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrao2015 »

Juliegee wrote:Dr. Ram, can you please offer some insight re. the safety of matcha tea? Until just recently, I've been convinced that it's been a helpful part of my prevention strategy because of the high level of antioxidants and ECGC that it offers. Others here have recently raised concerns about cleanliness, heavy metals, radiation, and manganese toxicity :shock: Now, I'm just plain confused. Can you help us seperate the fact from fiction? What source do you use to avoid the pitfalls above?

Huge thanks for your guidance.
Yes, I have seen the craze around Matcha tea!!! I drink regular green tea and yes, the tea bag with its leaves gets thrown out after I drink the contents.

As you may be aware, Matcha teas is green tea where the tea levels are very finely powdered and steeped in water, so when you drink Matcha tea , you are also consuming the leaves.

Green teas have been shown to contain lead, which is absorbed by the plant from the environment, particularly tea grown in China. This is true of organic tea as well.

So when traditional green tea is steeped, about 90% of the lead stays in the leaf, which is discarded. With matcha, since the whole leaf is consumed, you will ingest more lead. So it is recommended not to drink more than one cup of Matcha daily.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you for clearing this up for us, Dr. Ram :D You've actually convinced me to switch to green tea. Do I really need to worry about manganese toxicity? Also, can you please recommend a "clean" source?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:Here are some tips from Ram:
1) Avoid Sodas and other fizzy cold beverages. Always drink warm water (warmer than room temp) throughout the day

2) Before Breakfast: To one glass of warm-hot water add 1-2 tsp Black Strap Molasses (Whole foods), 5 drops of turmeric extract (http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/ca ... extract-10), 5 drops of Ashwagandha extract (http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/ca ... extract-10) and local dark honey to taste. Mix well and drink the contents [black strap molasses is a blood purifier, turmeric, Ashwagandha and honey will improve immunity].

3) The last meal of the day needs to coincide with the setting sun (dinner by 7.00pm) and the 1st meal of the day should be one hour after sun-rise (anytime after 7.00am)

4) Breakfast: Cooked Oats/cream of Quinoa/ Flax grains (equal ratios), with warm milk. You may add almonds, cardamom, maple syrup, cinnamon, pomegranates to your Cereal bowl. (notice that all the ingredients are gluten free)

5) Snack: Anytime you feel like snacking, eat ripe fruits, roasted sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and walnuts

6) Lunch and Dinner: Along with your favorite foods, please make sure to eat lot of Veggies. Please try to reduce wheat and meat from your regular meals. Try to eat gluten-free meals as far as possible.

7) Yoga: If you have a practice of Yoga, incorporate at least 30 mins of Yoga practice daily, with gentle inversions where the head is below the heart (under the supervision of a trained yoga teacher). If you are part of a Yoga group, let me know and I can come and conduct a practice session where I can demonstrate these poses.

8) HERBALS:

-Mental Clarity: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/ca ... tablets-10

Supports optimal performance of the brain and nervous system. 1 tablet (500mg) 2X/day after meals with warm water

-Tranquil Mind: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/ca ... tablets-10

Supports optimal performance of the brain and nervous system. 1 tablet (500mg) 2X/day after meals with warm water

-I Sleep Soundly: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/shop/ca ... tablets-10

Promotes Sound, Restful Sleep. 2 tablets (500mg) after dinner with warm water.

9) OTHERS:

A) Vit D, Zn, B12: If levels are within mid-range, you do not need to take supplements.

B) No need to purchase Bacopa or Ashwagandha: Both Mental Clarity and I sleep soundly contain these two herbs.

C) One tsp of fish oil before lunch. One tsp of coconut oil before dinner

D) Sleep issues are common at this age. Melatonin, Ambien, 5HTP etc are not universal and provide benefits to some and not to everyone. I have recommended “I Sleep Soundly”. Try that and see if it helps.

E) Gentle physical exercise (swimming is the best), tutoring, music, art, knitting, sewing, quilting etc. These are all very helpful in keeping your mind active.

F) Make sure that you are do not suffer from constipation. Make sure you have a smooth bowel movement daily.
If these ideas generate questions for Dr. Rao, feel free to pose them here.
Dr. Rao, I'd be interested to know what if any amendments or new tips you might have for us now six year later? You mention Nasya oil in another thread, and as I learn more about ayurveda, it seems that more practices could be added to this list, such as tongue scraping, netipot, Nasya oil …

It would be great to have a Ram Rao ayurvedic recommendations for ApoE4 Wiki page for easy reference. It might include general ayurvedic recommendations and an * by those specificially for ApoE4. Maybe someone in the forums could put this together when there's time.

It would also be good to hear whether you feel an ayurvedic detox protocol could be used for detox just as efficaciously as some of the detox protocols used by functional medicine practitioners that are more commonly referred to in our forums.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:It would be great to have a Ram Rao ayurvedic recommendations for ApoE4 Wiki page for easy reference. It might include general ayurvedic recommendations and an * by those specificially for ApoE4. Maybe someone in the forums could put this together when there's time.
Though I've not read it, Dr. Ram has a book., published April 2020.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Tincup wrote:
circular wrote:It would be great to have a Ram Rao ayurvedic recommendations for ApoE4 Wiki page for easy reference. It might include general ayurvedic recommendations and an * by those specificially for ApoE4. Maybe someone in the forums could put this together when there's time.
. {edit- just put it in my Kindle account because of your prompt. Added to my never ending "stack" to read...}
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:
Tincup wrote:
. {edit- just put it in my Kindle account because of your prompt. Added to my never ending "stack" to read...}
Thanks Tincup! I didn't realize he had a book. I find that Kindle is dangerous for buying books that never get read. I now add them to Wish Lists in Amazon by topic group … and then forget about them :lol: But I think I will get this one and have a look.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Tincup wrote:{edit- just put it in my Kindle account because of your prompt. Added to my never ending "stack" to read...}
I recently purchased this talk by him for $10 and found it interesting. He ascribes the three main Bredesen AD types to the doshas, which got me curious whether a study of Ayurvedic assessments of dosha type would correlate well with ReCODE results on the same people. It also made me wonder whether a competent dosha assessment might be a stand-in for the ReCODE report just as far as identifying the type(s) one is experiencing. I suspect not, since probably all the, say, pitta predominant people manifest that in different ways physiologically (?).

Edit: I just noticed that the description of his talk linked to above that is given on the web page doesn't specifically line up with the content. His talk is under the heading 'Ayurveda: Autoimmune and Metabolic Disorders'.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:I recently purchased this talk by him for $10 and found it interesting. He ascribes the three main Bredesen AD types to the doshas, which got me curious whether a study of Ayurvedic assessments of dosha type would correlate well with ReCODE results on the same people. It also made me wonder whether a competent dosha assessment might be a stand-in for the ReCODE report just as far as identifying the type(s) one is experiencing. I suspect not, since probably all the, say, pitta predominant people manifest that in different ways physiologically.
I took an ayurvedic pulse reading course ~25 years ago from an American ayurvedic doc who'd studied in India and who read my pulse. My pulse was read as well as by an Indian ayurvedic doc who was visiting. My recollection is there is a "base" level dosha reading and then there is what is out of balance right now. The "base" level is in the deep pulse and the out of balance is more on the surface (less pressure on the three fingers during the reading). I was Pitta-Kapha with a Vata imbalance. I recall that most in our society have a Vata imbalance, which kind of translates to an overactive sympathetic nervous system. Doing a reading just now suggests a Kapha imbalance.
Tincup
E3,E4