Need input into my lipids please

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Need input into my lipids please

Post by Tincup »

Stavia wrote:Only took a month of the methylated thingies as per Bredesen and homocysteine already 7.3. Woot. One third reduction. Happy dance.
Did you ever start with Niacin? If so, remember Gundry's comment to me that it will make it difficult to lower homocycteine.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

GeorgeN wrote:
Stavia wrote:Only took a month of the methylated thingies as per Bredesen and homocysteine already 7.3. Woot. One third reduction. Happy dance.
Did you ever start with Niacin? If so, remember Gundry's comment to me that it will make it difficult to lower homocycteine.
no I hadn't yet. I'm doing one thing at a time very slowly as I feel that I have time to be very careful and deliberate. I know I have a leaky BBB, I am very sensitive to CNS effects of things plus the flipping allergies. My order of introducing thingies has been
1. curcumin over a year ago in my first flush of enthusiasm when I joined the forum as it was the flavour of that month. Wouldn't be my first choice now but I'm tolerating it well so it's good. if I double the dose I get heartburn, so I'm on one capsule only.
2. vitamin D3 some months later and then Vitamin K after 2 months of that
3. HRT. Still trying to optimise the dose.
4. Zinc but made zilch difference to my zinc levels so I've put it in the too hard basket now that evidence appears to be extremely grey for the "normal" range and dropped it
5. cocoa extract capsules around January when I realised I couldn't get enough flavanols without half my daily calorie allowance and all my saturated fat being chocolate
6. homocysteine thingies a few months ago and now the methylated ones a month. Tolerating them OK, so that's good.

my next plan might be the mitochondrial support thingies as per Julie. I have a line of bottles on my dressing table, including mag threonate.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stavia, your add-on program sounds like mine. Just last month, I started on adding the "fancy"B6 to the TMG/B12/folate supplement, hoping to get my stubborn HCY lower. Mer has mention this B6 months ago.Your HCY decreased by a third. Now, I'm pondering another trial of a 300mcg dose of melatonin, as the 1mg dose caused a mild headache upon awakening. Aren't we sensitive?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Pls let us know if it helps Kitano. Whats your homocysteine now?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

My first HCY=10.6 and I just added B complex and TMG 750mg, but it increased in the next five months to 12.6. So I started the methylB12/folate sl, and two months later=9.8. the only difference between what I was taking and Merlieu was the Pyridoxil 5 version of B6, so I added this onto my supplements with this product ( after our May meet-up. After I've been on this product for four months, I'll have all my labs again.

Two of the COMTs that I can look up are contradicting each other as to whether I should avoid methyl donors of B12 and use the hydroxyB12, so I'm assuming that I'm neutral and have not noticed any side effects.

Stavia, what product did you use to decrease your HCY? I can't recall if you had serum B12/folate levels, or even if you would recommend this.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

My homocysteine was around 8 right before I started the methyl thingies. Retested after a few months: 12. Stopped methyl thingies. Retested a couple months later: 7.

And I've got the alleles that say I should benefit.

Go figure.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wow G. Just wow.
Kitano: my B12 was around 300ish before anything. Its now around 600 is. I cant do accurate folate levels here, it just said and still says >45.
I'm taking Thorne P5P 33.8mg. Thorne 5MTHF 1mg and Natural Factors methylcobalamin 1000mcg. I'm severely limited in what I can take cos of gelatine being a no-no for me (sulfite anaphylaxis)
Please explain what the COMT methyl donor thingy is?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stavia, I just checked the COMT from Cir's post from Nutrahacker (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1262&start=40). If SusanJ still finds methylation tricky after three years, I don't feel so bad about not understanding all the genes involved.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I've also been putting off methylation except in the most cursory way. After ordering Nutrahacker I'm starting to think we can't avoid it. It can impact our ApoE4 protocols; e.g. I though green tea would be very good for me, but it turns out maybe not, at least I may need to limit intake and at a minimum watch my folate levels if I'm taking a lot of green tea. Nutrihacker's advice may not always be what your own research will turn up, so it's a starting place like all the other tools (he tells me to avoid calcium because of a homozygous propensity toward kidney stones not evident in my family history, but kidney.org refines that advice). He calls my attention to genes that weren't jumping out from Promeathease or the MTHFRSupport report. The different ways they process the data point up different things.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
jkramer65
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jkramer65 »

HI, I was told I'm a hyperabsorber and was told to try Plant Sterols/Stanols. But if I hyperabsorb doesn't that mean I have high levels of sterols? I'm confused. Do those work? Wouldn't Zetia be better? I've read stuff about Plant Sterols actually causing harm. Help!