From Dr. Dale Bredesen

Insights and discussion from the cutting edge with reference to journal articles and other research papers.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

From Dr. Dale Bredesen

Post by Julie G »

Dr. Dale Bredesen is a world-renowned scientist and expert in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders, and a friend of the site. He currently splits his time between The Buck Institute for Research on Aging and the Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research at UCLA. Please see curriculum vitae and biographical information below:
https://www.buckinstitute.org/bredesenLab
http://www.eastonad.ucla.edu/research/r ... -dale-e-md

Dr. Bredesen has written a paper that synthesizes the prevention protocol that many of us practice. You can find the original paper here: Reversal of Cognitive Decine: A Novel Therapeutic Program
http://www.impactaging.com/papers/v6/n9 ... 00690.html

Dr. Bredesen has recently updated his original protocol. The most current version can be found here:
Bredesen%20May%202015-2.pdf
For more from Dr. Bredesen, here is a link to the podcast of his talk in February for the launch of “The Healthy Mind” cookbook by Rebecca Katz given at The Buck: http://www.buckinstitute.org/podcasts/h ... nt-podcast

Here’s a link to a talk Dr. Bredesen recently gave to the California State Assembly Committee on Aging. His talk is at about minute 30, after three bills are discussed: http://calchannel.granicus.com/MediaPla ... ip_id=2832

Here’s another link to a recent podcast of "The Peoples Pharmacy” in which he discusses recent additions to his protocol: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2015/05/ ... lzheimers/

How can you apply Dr. Bredesen’s protocol?
-Many here are using his original paper, and now the updated version, as a rough guide.

-Muses Labs, located in Raleigh, NC is another great resource. They will eventually be offering a service that individualizes the protocol and can be used remotely via your physician. We are awaiting availability, pricing, etc. Please contact Vik Chandra, their CEO to learn more: vc@museslabs.com.

-The Buck is offering a 4 day immersion program into the protocol. The cost is $7,500 + labs. This includes a Personalized care plan delivered to you by Dr Bredesen, physical assessment by a physical therapist and a personalized exercise plan, meeting with dietitian for personalized food plan, lectures by renowned experts regarding: lifestyle and readiness to change, stress management, sleep, herbal remedies and supplements, misc activities and a years worth of health coaching to help stay on task, clinical counseling when appropriate, and support with life issues ( ie. Financial, legal, child care, elderly care) that keep us from focusing on our health. Please contact Denise Kalos, the VP of Wellness Programs at the Buck, to learn more: dkalos@buckinstitute.org
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: From Dr. Dale Bredesen

Post by Julie G »

Just doing some site housekeeping, I wanted to add this link of our recent event at The Buck to this thread:
https://player.vimeo.com/external/13056 ... ile_id=119
Dr. Bredesen’s presentation begins at the 20 min. mark. Unfortunately, the videographer had a stationary camera and was unable to pan to the enormous screen Dr. Bredesen used to display video clips and graphics. Despite this, you can still get the bulk of the information by paying close attention. His talk is about an hour long.

Dr. Bredesen provides the history of the MEND protocol with multiple case studies. He also goes into great detail describing the science behind the approach. Additionally, he delves into fascinating groundbreaking work done by Dr. Rao and team, that examines HOW the APOE-ε4 gene lead to our becoming “human”... but also to the development of Alzheimer’s disease. He describes how using the MEND protocol can help turn our RelA dominant state into acting more like the APOE-ε3 gene; a SIRT1 dominant state. I found his presentation to be enormously hopeful. IMO, it provides us the best path forward for both prevention and reversal of cognitive decline until Pharma can be incorporated into the protocol.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie,

Thanks! If people want to see the videos/slides, there is duplication between this talk and the one Bredesen gave to the California State Assembly Committee on Aging., linked in Julie's first post in the thread (about half way down the post): https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 391#p15256
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I received this from Dr. Bredesen yesterday:
A year ago, a 65-year-old man came to see me, with well documented early Alzheimer’s disease: ApoE 4/3, +amyloid PET, +FDG-PET, abnormal neuropsych testing, having difficulty at work, + family history (both parents died with dementia), and his MRI showed that his hippocampi had atrophied to 17th percentile for his age. This hippocampal atrophy is an important prognostic sign, and indicates that his prognosis was not good.

He has now been on the MEND program for one year, and he has done very well (except when he went off for a few weeks and had an episode in which he left the car running in the driveway). His function is much better, he is back working full time and doing very well, and his biochemistry is very good.

I asked him to get follow-ups on the imaging studies so that we could see where things stand with his amyloid, brain utilization of glucose, etc. He argued with me and said there is no way that his atrophied hippocampus could show improvement—brains don’t grow back, he argued. But I told him that there has been some evidence of modest improvement in non-Alzheimer’s patients with exercise, so we should see if we could even keep him from the natural history of further reduction below the 17th percentile. He just found out that his hippocampus is now at the 75th percentile for his age. He could not believe it, and asked the MRI technician if there was some fluke; the technician said he could not explain it, and it was no fluke.

We’ll see what his other follow-up tests show; however, the dramatic improvement in hippocampal volume—the very thing lost in AD—is further support that what we are doing is working very well. [Emphaisis mine]
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

OMG. This story brings me tears of joy. Julie, thank you for sharing it with us.

The other day, it occurred to me that my terror of succumbing to Alzheimer's is gone. It has taken me 10 months since learing about my risk to get this point. I now have so much belief that prevention and reversal of cognitive decline is possible. This story makes that belief even stronger.

My appoved and signed MEND Therapy protocol awaits me at the office of my functional medicine practitioner. I am expecting a call back today to make an appointment to get started.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
ABrain4Me
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ABrain4Me »

That is a fantastic result, and I'm glad to hear Dr Bredesen is having success proven by data.

Any word on when those of who were initially accepted into the study, but then eliminated, will be able to start the protocols? I havne't heard anything from Muses Labs in ages....
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

My protocol is finally ready! My functional medicine practitioner signed off on it, and I'm waiting for a call back to make an appointment. She said she'd try to fit me in within one week of the protocol being done. So after I see her, I'll order my supplements and begin asap whatever other recommendations I receive. I'm anxious to get going on this.

I know there were people ahead of me in the protocol "queue," but I don't know if they were study participants or people who were released from the study.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Alysson, I'm so glad this offered you hope. I had the same reaction. Dr. Bredsen's team has regularly seen improvements in cognitive decline (30+ patients,) but this is the first I have heard of an actual structural brain improvement. W.O.W. Following the protocol is hard. THIS makes it much easier for me :D I'm very happy and excited that you are about to start. I wonder if anyone else amongst us has already begun?

AB4Me, sorry that you haven't been contacted yet. Many who've been on the list for a long time have very recently been contacted. Maybe you should call Muses Labs to make sure that you are at least on the list.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Great news! The only thing I'm wondering is why this kind of clinical result hasn't been reported yet from the protocol. I'm guessing it's a form of imaging not used in the protocol and the patient's neurologist had ordered it? I wonder what portion of the protocols success is exercise, not that it's being quantified. I'm worried that I can't get aerobic exercise due to exercise intolerance. Julie if it's hard for you it must be really hard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wondering »

Wow! Granted it's just one case, but a very, very exciting finding nonetheless. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for more examples of this sort of structural improvement...

Totally makes me wonder again if there is any way I could get my mother to follow the protocol. She has "late early stage" Alzheimer's (late stage 4) - but her Hippocampus volume was measured as being in the <1% percentile. Her diet, in particular, is atrocious.

[I think it's too late to help Dad - he's already in late stage 6 of the 7 stages of Alzheimer's :(]
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD