Got my oxidized LDL results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Fidel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Got my oxidized LDL results

Post by Fidel »

Sorry, Julie, i meant to type 8mg/dL for your result. According to http://gg.gg/Lp-a, that amount is in the desired range for Lp(a) mass but not Lp(a) cholesterol, so your result must be for the former.

As for me, the Quest lab says "The reference range cutpoint (75 nmol/L) approximates the Lp(a) 75th percentile in the Framingham Heart Study. Lp(a) levels below this cutpoint indicate Lp(a) is not a major contributor to CHD risk." So i'm in the desired range, according to that, but i notice i'm in the borderline risk range, if the info at the wikipedia Lp(a) page http://gg.gg/Lp_a is to be believed.

That study you mention is a good find. I have tested an algal oil but don't care for the taste much, nor do i care for the taste of the Earth Balance buttery spread which has DHA & EPA added, so i guess i'll stick with those fishless filets.

I totally relate with how you're being as careful as you can be. The very act of digging into these research studies keeps our minds active which helps keep dementia away.
3/4
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

To revive the original oxLDL discussion, I finally got around to testing mine through Life Extension. Very pleased to have scored 34 U/L where the listed lab cutoff was <60. Based on the original cardiac risk graph as a function of oxLDL that Julie posted in the original post, I'm somewhere around the 10th percentile. :D Too bad I did not have the foresight to get an earlier baseline.

FWIW, my diet for the last 4-5 months has been lower in fat than it has been in the last 5 years. I've not tracked it closely, but I would guess it to typically be in the 40-50% range with a lot more low GI carbs, high resistant starch and low added concentrated fats. It has also been lower in total protein and animal sources in particular. In addition, I've been taking in about 3 cups/day of decaf green tea, EVOO, turmeric, and until 2 months ago resveratrol which have all been shown to lower oxLDL in humans. I added olives to help up my polyphenol intake.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Kudos, Richard!!! This is apparently the test that really matters :D . Your result is excellent. I agree that it would have been interesting to have a baseline with your previous diet, but from what I understand, it's starchy, sugary carbs that oxidize cholesterol. It sounds like even with higher carbs- you're still avoiding that. Out of curiosity, why'd you stop the resveratrol?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Richard, always good to have such a low oxidized LDL to counteract the lp(a) risk. How much EVOO do you consume? Nuts? The nuts and EVOO almost double my overall fat grams to 20, but the satiety and IR improve. We share the steady decaf green tea and olives, but I restarted reservatrol. Do you take tumeric instead of curcumin?
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Juliegee wrote:Out of curiosity, why'd you stop the resveratrol?
Julie -- definitely happy about this. I bought a large bottle of resveratrol and never refilled when I ran out. I'd like to say that I had some definite plan, but it was more like "Hmm, one less pill to take. OK."
Kitano wrote:Richard, always good to have such a low oxidized LDL to counteract the lp(a) risk. How much EVOO do you consume? Nuts? The nuts and EVOO almost double my overall fat grams to 20, but the satiety and IR improve. We share the steady decaf green tea and olives, but I restarted reservatrol. Do you take tumeric instead of curcumin?
First, I tried to minimize adding concentrated fats to my diet. When I did add oils, I relied mostly on EVOO, so definitely <1 tablespoon/day was the norm. I enjoy some cashews and macadamia nuts but they were max an ounce per day. Avocados are daily for me between guacamole and a diary-free avocado/banana chocolate pudding. Part of my dietary change was completely eliminating dairy and eggs (in addition to already being gluten free x3 years) that was focused on treating eosinophilic esophagitis and ankylosing spondylitis. The result is one less avenue for concentrated sources of SFA and dietary cholesterol. While I mentioned turmeric, it is concentrated root extract (95%) with the most recent bottle including black pepper to slow the clearance.

Since it is so hard to make the Lp(a) budge and to do so required large amounts of SFA and niacin with way too much flushing and elevated morning BG, I'm going to settle on being really pleased with the very low oxLDL.

Anybody else get oxLDL tested?
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Richard, congratulations on the great results.

To avoid driving to New Hampshire, I may also go with LEF to my tests done next week. I think adding oxidized LDL might be worth it. You got the basic test, I assume, right? --

http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-s ... idized-ldl

Since I'm not in the US very often, I was actually thinking about the fuller panel, instead:

http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-s ... -ldl-panel

But I'm not sure about the clinical utility of myeloperoxidase.

I'm not a member of LEF but I assume one can join on the spot and then get the "your price!" discount.

GB
BerniF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BerniF »

I'm just putting together a list of tests I need to do...just added this one. Thanks for the amazing insights :D
ApoE 3/4
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Gilgamesh wrote:You got the basic test, I assume, right? --

http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-s ... idized-ldl

Since I'm not in the US very often, I was actually thinking about the fuller panel, instead:

http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-s ... -ldl-panel

But I'm not sure about the clinical utility of myeloperoxidase.

I'm not a member of LEF but I assume one can join on the spot and then get the "your price!" discount
Yes, I got the basic test. I asked earlier in this thread if someone knew if it made sense to pay for the expanded test, but I did not see a response.

LEF just changed their subscription format, so I'm not sure what the process is to get the discount. From their recent email to me, it sounds like paid membership is being dropped.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

FWIW, Dr. Gundry orders myeloperoxidase. My impression has been it's a marker that's come of age? Mine was quite high 2 years ago. I'm particularly interested that LE says it's specific to vascular inflammation. Could be useful for those of us with other inflammatory conditions.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I thought there were other advanced markers that indicated oxidized cholesterol? Am I to understand others might suggest it, but LE's oxLDL is more definitive? If I already have an extensive cardio panel, but it doesn't have oxLDL, is oxLDL still very useful?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.