Coconut Oil ameliorates neurodegeneration

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Coconut Oil ameliorates neurodegeneration

Post by Silverlining »

Coconut Oil Attenuates the Effects of Amyloid-β on Cortical Neurons in vitro. - January 2014

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24150106

"Dietary supplementation has been studied as an approach to ameliorating deficits associated with aging and neurodegeneration. We undertook this pilot study to investigate the effects of coconut oil supplementation directly on cortical neurons treated with amyloid-β (Aβ) peptide in vitro. Our results indicate that neuron survival in cultures co-treated with coconut oil and Aβ is rescued compared to cultures exposed only to Aβ. Coconut oil co-treatment also attenuates Aβ-induced mitochondrial alterations. The results of this pilot study provide a basis for further investigation of the effects of coconut oil, or its constituents, on neuronal survival focusing on mechanisms that may be involved. "

If anyone has access to full study, please post link
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Coconut Oil ameliorates neurodegeneration

Post by Julie G »

Hey Silver, I'd like to learn more about this one too.

The premise till now has been that coconut oil or MCTs would provide an alternative fuel source to subsidize the deficit left by the cerebral glucose hypometabolism demonstrated by AD patients (and E4s without AD) in vivo. It's shown some success mostly in non-E4s, but the interventions have always been applied AFTER symptomology appears.

Not sure how this works in vitro... I understand that the cortical neurons were treated with AB plaque. The ones co-treated with coconut oil survived. Was the coconut oil acting as a fuel in this instance and demonstrating mitochondrial rescue? Or were there some other antimicrobial properties from the coconut oil at play?

Stupid non-scientist question: in an in vitro situation how do cortical neutron cells typically get their fuel? Is the contrast medium in the petri dish composed partially of glucose? If so, this is HUGE and could imply that the neurons were able to override the faulty glucose metabolism and utilize ketones from the coconut oil instead. Could be big for us in terms of prevention.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Anyone have any first- or second-hand experience with simple supplementation as discussed by Mary T. Newton, M.D. in her book, Alzheimer's Disease - What If There Was a Cure? Dr. Newton's husband experienced a rapid rollback in physical and cognitive symptoms and is more functional today than he was in 2008 on a daily regimen of three tablespoons of coconut oil at meals and two before bed as well as a tablespoon of fish oil. The website is http://www.coconutketones.com/.

I just bought the book and am skimming it with an eye toward giving it to my parents as a suggestion for my father's AD, which recently progressed to "moderate cognitive impairment". The book has an excellent "Caregiver Reports" chapter in which Dr. Newton publishes excerpts from her correspondence and a quantitative summary. 167 of the 184 reports of dementia and other memory impairment that she has received are favorable regarding MCT supplementation.

I suspect that people are more likely to write to her with positive than negative reports, so I wonder if anyone here at apoe4.info has any experiences to share?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm short on time, but really intrigued by this too. I don't have any firsthand experience with using coconut oil/MCT to promote ketosis...I'm using primarily MUFAs. BUT, I'm wide open to learning more. I recently corresponded with Dr. Samuel Henderson/Axona re. the use of coconut oil/MCT oil and their effect on the cholesterol of E4 carriers. I figured since he'd run multiple trials on our population (and still is!) he'd have the most information on this. I'll give you his short answer now and scientific reasoning later tonight when I have more time. In order NOT to drive up LDL-C, he recommends MCT for us over coconut oil. I have some reservations with his thought process as I think there are properties in coconut oil (antimicrobial, for one) not offered in MCT. More later to explain Dr. Henderson's position.

Quickly, has anybody heard about this product- Fuel for Thought? It's a tiny (1 oz) single serve vial of vanilla flavored MCT/coconut oil that you drink straight from the container, like those energy shots. It's supposed to produce the wallop of THREE TBS of coconut oil. I'm intrigued. My husband will be ecstatic- convenient for travel & palatable :D
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by giftsplash »

For those interested in very pure MCT oil which i believe is more concentrated than regular MCT should check out Brain Octane.

But my girlfriend has not been able to take more than half a teaspoon without feeling sick. It's definitely something you need to work your way up to.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletp ... in-octane/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I just wanted to briefly share Dr. Henderson's rationale behind recommending MCT vs. coconut oil (or any LCT) to promote ketosis for E4 carriers to avoid hyperlipidemia.

In a previous post I spoke about how MCTs are metabolized totally differently than LCTs. Quick re-cap:
MCTs are metabolized differently than LCTs. They are rapidly absorbed and go through the portal vein directly to the liver and then to mitochondria (energy). Coconut oil splits pathways; 65% (MCTs) 35% (LCT.) MCTs are purportedly not contributors to vascular lipid but do increase energy production in mitochondria.

There's a few peer reviewed published papers that suggest MCTs will have NO effect on LDL.
-Medium-chain triacylglycerols may not raise cholesterol
http://www.ajcn.org/content/72/6/1583.full
-Medium-chain triglycerides: an update
http://www.ajcn.org/content/36/5/950.full.pdf+html
Dr. Henderson's rationale for why LCTs raise lipids in E4 carriers can be found here:
The general model for why E4 carriers have elevated blood lipid levels relates to the differential binding of different isoforms of APOE to lipoprotein particles. E2 and E3 preferentially bind triglyceride depleted lipoprotein particles, such as HDL, while E4 preferentially binds triglyceride rich lipoprotein particles, such as VLDL. The binding of APOE4 proteins to triglyceride rich particles is sufficient to slow activity of lipases on cell surfaces. Because the lipase activity is reduced, E4 carriers are slower in clearing VLDLs from circulation and therefore have elevated triglycerides in circulation (Dong et al 19994). I don't think it is accurate to say they hyperabsorb lipids.

Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are not processed the same way as LCT and do not end up in lipoprotein particles. Therefore, MCT metabolism should not be influenced by E4 carriage status. In support of this idea, we found no difference between levels of induced ketosis in E4+ and E4- subjects (Henderson et al 2009). Importantly, coconut oil contains mostly C12 and C14 fatty acids, which will be packaged into lipoprotein particles and their digestion, will be slowed by E4 carriage status, leading to a poor lipid profile. So, I would urge that E4 carriers do not try to induce ketosis by use of coconut oil. I would stick with MCT oil.

You are doing the right thing by trying to induce ketosis by diet. I think this is most important for E4 carriers to lower risk of Alzheimer's.
So, if I am understanding all of this, E4 carriers, who are seeking the potentially neuroprotective properties of ketosis, could use MCTs and avoid hyperlipidemia. Intriguing :idea:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24598140

Nice new paper discussing the use of ketone therapy in AD prevention. Forget MCT (so yesterday); apparently ketone esters are the newest means of delivery 8-)
RBK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RBK »

I looked at Fuel for Thought. I didn't love that coconut oil was so far down the list of ingredients. I decided to order 2oz. Nalgene wide mouth square travel containers instead and fill them with the MCT/coconut oil combo I use. I've been using these same containers in various sizes for several years now to hold my travel toiletries. They never, ever leak.

My only experience with MCT and coconut oil (I have read Dr. Newport's book.) internally is over the past month or so of supplementation. My eyesight is markedly better and I feel more crisp mentally in general. Interestingly enough, I had some reflexology done this weekend out of town, and the lady (who I'd never met before) asked when I had last had my eyes checked, because there was a lot of activity in my eye region. I thought that was a crazy confirmation! Externally, I have been using coconut oil a lot since October and love it both alone and in combination with other things in creams, etc.

I don't want crazy messed up lipids, but I also do believe in the value of using a whole food. Plus, lauric acid is found only in coconut oil, not MCT. Lauric acid is the fatty acid that breaks down and kills the HSV-1, which I NEED!
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahAnne »

Hi all. This is my very first post and I'm so grateful to have found this group! Regarding Fuel For Thought (FFT)...after reading Dr. Newport's book a few years ago and watching my mom's decline, we started her on coconut oil, but she only tolerated small amounts. When the first formulation of FFT came out, we started it. Again, a gag-worthy taste and lots of complaining about taking it. They have since reformulated the product with a berry flavor and it goes down much better. It does, however, have 10gm carb for each 1.25oz serving which includes 6gm sugar to make it palatable.

My mom takes two servings per day (which is what they suggest, with a max of four). Her mood is definitely better on this product. When they changed the formulation, she went off it for one week and it was a bad week...more tears, more despair, worse cognition. So, anecdotally, I can say that we believe it helps her. Because of the sugar and also weighing the science that other's have mentioned, it may not be the optimal choice for MCTs, but my mom is 77 and in early Alzheimers. With my dad being 79 and the primary caregiver, they don't have the bandwidth to optimize all the variables to the extent that we seek to do. Also, her lipids have not been a problem, for whatever genetic reason, and she doesn't eat much other sugar. In this kind of scenario I think it helps.

I am in the MEND study and am looking forward to finding out what type of MCTs they prescribe. That's all for now...
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

SarahAnne - It's great that you are seeing results for your mom! I completely agree with your statement : " With my dad being 79 and the primary caregiver, they don't have the bandwidth to optimize all the variables to the extent that we seek to do. " Well-meaning relatives and friends would offer advice to my dad about things to try with my mother who has AD, and it was more frustrating for him than helpful. He was just trying to get through each day and thinking about potential treatments he had no energy to implement was stressful.

But he did try giving her coconut oil, probably 2 tablespoons per day. He used it as a replacement for butter and also added it to her oatmeal. She liked it but there were no changes in her condition, unfortunately. BUT she also had a diet high in sugar that also included processed foods. So how much good does coconut oil do when it's regularly served on toast or mixed on sweetened oatmeal? :?
4/4