2016 Meet-Up

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: 2016 Meet-Up

Post by Julie G »

Susan, this has potential! I see that Dr. Reiman is slated as a speaker. As you’ll recall, he’s been conducting a very long term E4 observational study. In case anyone is unaware of it, I’ve lifted this from a previous thread:
Dr. Eric Reiman (Banner) and Dr. Richard Casseli (Mayo) have maintained between 150-200 participants in this study for almost two decades. Many participants carry the ε4 allele. I have been told it is a homozygote rich sample group. They have collected labs, other health markers (BMI, BP, etc,) diet/exercise info, neurocognitive testing, MRIs, FDG-PET and amyloid scans, and more. Nobody has collected more data or can speak more authoritatively about our genotype. No one is in a better position to make prevention recommendations for us based upon correlations.
I’ve previously spoken with Dr. Reiman and he’s agreed to share some of these correlations with us. This looks like a great opportunity ;). I could try to arrange for him to meet with our group the day before or after. FWIW, Dr. Reiman is just about to launch the biggest trial of E4 homozygotes ever conducted- 650 as I recall. He’s trialing anti-amyloid therapies before cognitive problems arise. My guess is that he would be very excited to talk with us.

We could also invite Dr. Rhonda Patrick to speak with us about diet/lifestyle interventions. As a scientist, uber-focused on diet and lifestyle -grappling with the E4 allele- she’d be another excellent speaker. We could also try to arrange a teleconference with Dr. Gundry. If anyone is interested, we could also incorporate some activities involving the other E4 strategies I previously outlined- yoga, meditation, lymphatic massage, healthy meals, etc.

A two day meeting would be great, either April 14-15 or April 15-16 in Los Angeles. Before I begin working on this...let me know who may be able to attend. I'm excited!!! :D
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Count me in!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I'd be interested.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

We're already in SoCal that day, we could drive up from Oceanside.
Tincup
E3,E4
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

I'm interested in the April meetup.
Last edited by Starfish77 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Very interested also!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Terrific everyone!!! LOL, George, it was MEANT to be. We need our E4 power couple there :D . Let me start by putting some feelers out to our proposed speakers. Pencil (not ink...yet) in the dates. ALL are welcome. Our last meet-up was amazing. It was wonderful to rub shoulders with the giants in our field, but also to spend time with one another...a powerful experience. Please consider joining.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

I'm up for the L.A. meeting in April.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

We're already committed for those dates :(.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Quick update on the tentatively proposed meet-up in April; it’s fallen through. The LA symposium is apparently limited in space and primarily open to AD researchers. Also, after recently joining Dr. Reiman on a conference call to learn about Gene Match and the API APOE4 Trial, I’ve decided NOT to approach him on meeting with us to share prevention ideas. That notion is diametrically opposed to the multi-million dollar trial he is embarking upon. The last thing he wants is E4 carriers adding confounders to his pharmaceutical trial. I’m hopeful that we can ultimately approach him at a time that is more suitable as he holds a tremendous amount of information for our population.

I’m intrigued with some other ideas I’ve seen floating around the forum, however, that MAY translate into a meet-up. The 2016 Ancestral Health Society in Boulder, CO, Aug 11-13 may provide an opportunity for us to further elucidate how carriers of the ancestral gene respond differently to some of the popular ancestral ideologies. Here’s a link to their pre-planning site: http://www.ancestralhealth.org/symposium

It would be great to conclude our meet-up with a group opportunity to get low cost/low radiation EBT scans (for anyone who’s interested) via Dr. Blanchette at Front Range Preventive Imaging also in Boulder. (Use the search function to learn more.)

I could use some help approaching the AHS folks. If anyone would like to collaborate with me, please drop me a PM.