Your organizational input please

Vision, strategy, service, and activism. Web and social media planning and technical discussion.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Your organizational input please

Post by Silverlining »

One of my hopes for this site is that there will be a place I can go to and see research links on any subject without having to sort through a long thread. For instance, berberine, turmeric, hormone replacement therapy, NAC, astaxanthin, etc. Ideally, I would like to see a section that is pure scientific research links without personal, individual experiences from users. However, there is also need for the individual experience on each one of these subjects. For instance, I want to know the effect of hormone replacement therapy for E4 women. I would like to see the section with strict scientific research and in another place, I would like to see what other posters had to say about their particular type of therapy. I wondered if putting the "subject matter scientific link" on the wiki page and then the user experiences on the forum is a good idea? Is there is an uncomplicated way to have easily identifiable multiple folders on wiki for each supplement/therapy? I feel like I'm rambling, but I'm ready to start posting links and want input from others on the most logical, research friendly framework.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Your organizational input please

Post by Gilgamesh »

Silverlining wrote:One of my hopes for this site is that there will be a place I can go to and see research links on any subject without having to sort through a long thread.
That is precisely why I first brought up the idea of us leaving 23andMe and creating a forum elsewhere (and why I'm so happy that so many people agreed, and that it's happened!)
Silverlining wrote: For instance, berberine, turmeric, hormone replacement therapy, NAC, astaxanthin, etc. Ideally, I would like to see a section that is pure scientific research links without personal, individual experiences from users
Yes.
Silverlining wrote: However, there is also need for the individual experience on each one of these subjects. For instance, I want to know the effect of hormone replacement therapy for E4 women.

But that's also science, and could be a subsection in the wiki of a particular topic, no?

But people's personal experience is valuable as well, of course!
Silverlining wrote: I would like to see the section with strict scientific research and in another place, I would like to see what other posters had to say about their particular type of therapy.

I agree, it's just that I see "hormone replacement therapy for E4 women" as part of the science part of the wiki, and "my personal hormone replacement experiment" as not. Does that make sense?

GB
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Yes, I do agree. That's why I pondered separating the two and my first idea was wiki for the research, apoe4 forum for the personal experiences. But I have no idea if that is a logical, efficient and organized system that we all (or most) think is best. Other than being a prolific poster :) on some health forums, I have no experience with the technical side of things, so I thought I would throw this out there before "finding a home for pertinent research links".
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

OK, thanks for the input! Let's see what others have to say.

Have a crazy next few days. My presence here will be erratic until Sunday or so.

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Silver,

I agree that real research belongs in the Wiki, But discussion and personal experience might be better in the forums. I can see HRT Therapy, for instance, as a separate topic under "Alzheimer's" or even "Drugs" You could re-post the study and start a discussion...

Have we thought about a Wiki thread in the forums? I think Gilgamesh suggested that. I agree!

At least this forum allows us to separate and label topics :D
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

There is now a forum for Wiki Development

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PhillyFree
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhillyFree »

I'd like to see a Forum topic for discussing Tests.

Also a place for individual member Tests folders - to allow a member to archive their relevant tests and so that others can view the person's tests all together in one place.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

We can create a specific sub category under the categories of Diseases, called "Tests". This makes it very specific so that I know if I want to look at folks tests for Lipids, I know to look under Heart Disease. If we just have a "Tests" forum, it may become harder for someone who is looking for a specific test to compare against, to find those in a "general tests" forum.

We can create a separate category for individual members tests as well.
PhillyFree
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhillyFree »

@Skibike, I discovered the Heart forum with people posting their lipid tests there, so I ended up following Julie's example and putting mine there also. That may solve the problem?

Also, I did a block-copy of my long post on HDLabs lipid testing now before hitting submit, which was fortunate as my login had timed out while I was writing. I was able to recover quickly, but if I hadn't done that I would been seriously bummed. 23andme fixed that same problem on their site a few months ago. One part of their fix was: if you begin writing a post/reply when your login has timed out, system bounces you to the login screen within a few keystrokes.
Not sure what it would have done currently in a situation like mine earlier today. But I've been burned before, so I'm cautious to save text. Unclear what the "save draft" feature on APOE4.info does, where is the draft saved, when and how do you use this feature?
PhillyFree
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhillyFree »

How long does a login session last on APOE4.info?