New RU442

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

New RU442

Post by ru442 »

Hello all.....

I am going to be brief, as I am still wrapping my brain around all the information here and elsewhere, so prolly won't post any results till I get to the next stage of my lifestyle changes and test results. Did notice that I seem to be somewhat unique, in that my overall counts are in control, but just kick the TG's butt. Most of you all seems to lean toward bad overall LDL... so maybe y'all can provide some insight.

I'm a 53 yo male from the mid-west, corn fed all my life (yeah we eat a lot of red meat and processed crap), never had any real health issues until my 40's when I developed hypertension. So the doc prescribes BP meds, and a lipid panel to see where I am at. Image my surprise when they tell me my total cholesterol are ok, but my triglycerides were 1400+!!!

So for the last 10 years been riding the statin/fenofibrate roller coaster (done em all.... most don't really budge my TG's, but the CAD risk is prolly worth taking em), along with some heaping helpings of NiacinER (2000 mg/day), Lovaza (4GB/day generic version). Had a high point a couple years ago when I hit ~300 TG, but that seems like the very distant past. recent in house TG test was +650 which is the highest it goes sooooo......

You guessed right.... another round of testing PLUS gene typing, and you know how it turned out if you get my userid ;) Also just got results from CORUS CAD (blood test - 25 out of 40, its a probability scale of artery blockage), which is 2 point higher than last test 2yr ago (had stress test, no blockage). Seeing the cardio doc next week to see if this merits another stress test (and I am sure he will...).

Anywho.... sticking to the med regime for now until I see my cardio next week, based on my research the statins may be a moot point (thank you all for your brilliant breakdown of this stuff). If/when I get a chance will do some before/after numbers, busy as heck with work (IT for 35 years).

BTW I don't have any cognitive dysfunction, hoping that particular aspect skips me by, my parents didn't have it, but why take chances??

Here is my current regime and strategy to start... taking baby steps since some things will make a larger impact:

MEDS ETC.

Statin: Crestor 40mg/day
Feno: Gemfibrozil 600mg/2x day
NiacinER: 2000mg/day
Lovaza (gen.): 4gm/day
Folic acid: 1mg/day
B12: 5000mcg/day
Aged Garlic: 1600mg/day

LIFESSTYLE

Near term:
Quit smoking (Ugh!)
Quit drinking (Double Ugh!..... and like not all together!)
Exercise (time permitting, I walk a lot with work, split wood, getting to be lawn mowing season!)

Started:
Green leafy organic salads, smothered in EVOO and balsimic
Lots o' organic veg
Fish... just had fresh caught lemon pepper salmon grilled on cedar plank w/onions and capers (organic), fresh cod in the fridge for tomorrow
No dairy
No suger (refined or otherwise.... goodbye ceak!)
No carbs (bread, chips, yada, yada, yada)
drinking water, teas (green and not), looking for suggestion on naturally sweet beverages to break things up

Glad you are all here.... look forward to comments, snark, and generally J&D where needed!

Regards,
ru442
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New RU442

Post by Stavia »

greetings honey. Yup I am 442.

Sounds like you have a double genetic whammy with the hyperlipidaemia thingy. And you've realised that the usual "eat low carb and you'll be all right" ain't gonna fly for you. BUT carbs are going to potentiate your genetic stuff. and you MUST MUST MUST STOP SMOKING AND NEVER EVER SMOKE AGAIN. EVER.

I have absolutely no idea what naturally sweet beverages you could drink that would not raise your insulin. Even artificial sweeteners raise your insulin thru a brain mechanism (reference: Jason Fung). I drink carbonated water only, I have a sodastream machine, and it gives that nice "bite" that somehow satiates.

I also have absolutely no idea what J&D is and neither does Urban Dictionary ;)

Welcome!
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Surfrank57 »

Just want to say welcome and you have come to the right place. Good job on lifestyle changes. After others welcome you, I am sure you will have more insight. You have to read Stavia's intro material which is a great start. I also am buried in work, but will chime in when I can. My quick take is, it would be best to see a lipid doc, get blood work reflective of their work, instead of basic panels. It will provide a possible cause instead of just saying trigs are really high. Then you can decide on meds to be taken now that you know you are 442. Yep I got it lol.
Ok good luck and stop eating all that corn.....

Frank
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

LOL! Thanks Stavia.... I've got an advanced palette, so variety is a must, even if it's coconut milk (yes/no?), organic honey w/water & lemon? or I'll just bang my head on the wall!

J&D = Joking and Degrading.... Reader's Digest has always been right, laughter is the best medicine!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Surfrank.... don't even go there with the corn..... will miss it boiled or roasted, slathered in butter with salt & pepper... doh!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome, ru442! LOL, took me a second to "get" your name ;) . I am as well. FWIW, I think you're on the right path with regards to lifestyle and diet changes. Being an E4 homozygote isn't necessarily related to high TGs... Methinks you have other tough genes at play.

I was also born and raised in the midwest and newly returned here to help care for family members. I agree with your assessment of native diet. Like you, I'm definitely bucking diet trends by living here. It's doable, but tough. Nice to have you join the community :D.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Juliegee wrote:Welcome, ru442! LOL, took me a second to "get" your name ;) . I am as well. FWIW, I think you're on the right path with regards to lifestyle and diet changes. Being an E4 homozygote isn't necessarily related to high TGs... Methinks you have other tough genes at play.

I was also born and raised in the midwest and newly returned here to help care for family members. I agree with your assessment of native diet. Like you, I'm definitely bucking diet trends by living here. It's doable, but tough. Nice to have you join the community :D.
Thank you for all you do Julie!!

Yes it is tough here.... we have so much good stuff.... diary, cheeses, ice cream, corn, cows, pigs, and while I am not a cheese head (go Bears!) I have a love affair with beer & bratwurst w/mustard/onion/kraut!! One thing I did forget to mention is I have been optimal weight since I was in high school (5'6'' & 155-60 lbs.... never changes much regardless of diet and current condition). So logic seems to dictate I do have other genetic issues, so I think Surfrank's advice is sound, and I need to get into a Lipidologist.

The test's run seem to be extensive, for lipids I am in range for all except HDL2 (only 8). Homocystine was too high (18) thus the folic acid. SAM (Sterol Absorption) and SSM (Sterol Synthesis) were all way high (generally treated with statins/feno/niacin), so that is a bit confusing to me.

Anyway, thanks all for the nice responses.... I'll continue to post when I can :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi RU442, welcome!

I don't see that you've mentioned omega 3. This page suggests it may be part of the treatment plan for hypertriglyeridemia?

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/126568-overview
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

ru442 wrote:One thing I did forget to mention is I have been optimal weight since I was in high school (5'6'' & 155-60 lbs.... never changes much regardless of diet and current condition).
Hmm, on here I'm seeing a "normal" BMI as a range from 18.5 to 24.9.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educati ... micalc.htm

There's some argument to be made that an 'optimal weight' might fit in somewhere around 22.

At 5'6" and 155 - 160lbs, that would add up to a BMI of 25+ up to 25.8, entering into the category of "overweight." Although, perhaps that could be pretty optimal if that's primarily lean mass.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

circular wrote:Hi RU442, welcome!

I don't see that you've mentioned omega 3. This page suggests it may be part of the treatment plan for hypertriglyeridemia?

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/126568-overview
Yes I am on a generic form of Lovaza... Omega-3 ethyl esters.... they are EPA 465/DHA 375 per cap, I take 4x daily.