23 & me test - still worth it?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

23 & me test - still worth it?

Post by cdamaden »

Hi All,
I learned my APOE4/E4 status through a test at True Health Diagnostics. The test also included the following genetic markers
CYP2C19*2*3 - *1/*1 = optimal
CYP2C19*17 - *1/*17 = rapid
Factor V Leiden - Arg/Gln = at risk
Prothrombin Mutation - G/G = optimal
MTHFR (C677T) = C/C
MTHFR (A1298C) = C/C = high risk

I'll be going through my lipds and other results in a follow-on posting, but my question is what value would I gain by ordering the 23 & me test? Besides raising the price to $199, they now have this disclaimer:
Please note: We do not currently offer reports on hereditary risks for diseases like cancer, heart disease and other serious health risks.

I reviewed the lists of reports offered and none looked like they would help me with having a better understanding of my AD risk or additional information on my MTHFR capabilities. :|

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: 23 & me test - still worth it?

Post by Tincup »

Chris,

Most of us who have used 23andMe have run our raw data through Promethease.com for $5. This takes your raw file and runs it through the crowd sourced database Snpeadia. Having said that, I recently reran my data through promethease - my data hasn't changed but what is in snpedia can get added to over time. For some reason it didn't see my 3/4 status (like it did the first time). I went into 23andMe and verified that the SNPs are still in my data set (you can either give promethese your 23andme logon or upload the raw file). I've yet to spend time to chase down this issue. There are something like 17,000 SNPs in my promethease report, though a lot are hard to determine value for.
Last edited by Tincup on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Great question! I just learned yesterday that despite the FDA lifting the ban on some health reporting, they are really limiting what they offer compared to the information many of us got 3+ years ago. My guess is that you would still benefit. Even though this isn't a full exome scan, they do run thousands of snips that have proven very helpful to many of us. You would have access to your raw genetic data on a zip file that you could run through a program like promethease.com for $5. Here's a link so you can see some sample reports.

EDIT: Sorry, George & I must have posted simultaneously ;)
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Thanks Julie and George. OK, so that means you believe they still test and report out the same SNPs, they just don't interpret the more sensitive results?

Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

The $5 is a good cause -- I've paid it several times -- but if you don't mind waiting a few hours you can use the desktop version for free. My strategy has been: pay the few dollars to support SNPedia maybe once a year or so, but if I want an update after a few months I might run the free version.

Chris, the SNPs now reported on by 23andMe aren't exactly the same ones they used to report a couple years ago (different chip), but close.

G
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

Description of the differences between various 23andme chips (current version is v4): https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/23and ... ifferences

IMO it's worth it. Download your raw data. Run it through Promethease. And run it though Promethease again in a year or so, to pick up new research.

Nutrigenetics/lifestyle changes can affect conditions other than those you listed and other risks can be addressed with screening.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

I just ordered. Thanks for the help. :D
Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Gilgamesh wrote: but if you don't mind waiting a few hours you can use the desktop version for free. My strategy has been: pay the few dollars to support SNPedia maybe once a year or so, but if I want an update after a few months I might run the free version.
G - I just tried using the free version - on the XP side (in Virtual Box) of my Mac, unsuccessfully. The XP connects to the net through the Mac & I know that works, maybe I should try it on a pure Windows machine.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Chris and welcome. I have a different perspective which isn't the question you've exactly asked.
I personally think you've more than enough to deal with in terms of your 4/4 status right now.
Unless you are already doing all the known strategies for the 4/4 and your MTHFR and have energy to spare delving into extra details.
If not, the 23andme data will be useful down the line indeed. I also used Promethease to analyse my raw data right in the beginning. Which told me bluntly and uncounselled that I was homozygous for a gene I'd never heard of.
I'm extremely careful what I look up now. I do it one at a time - one can look up single snp's one at a time on the 23andme site within one's raw data without getting a dump of everything which may include stuff you'd rather not know.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Stavia - good advice. My E4/E4 status came as a shock to me because I didn't realize that my functional med doctor had included them in his panel. The shock didn't last too long but I decided to tackle the MTHFR first, and have been working the E4/E4 over the last two weeks. I'm pretty much in the happy-to-know camp now because at 48 I feel that I still have time to make changes for the better, especially considering that I was a high-ish protein paleo follower for the last 2 years :o

Regards,
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA