Pain Management

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pain Management

Post by Lucy5 »

((Silver)) So sorry you have to deal with chronic pain, not to mention trying to figure out the best way to manage it!

I've used a number of NSAIDS over the years, not worrying about it much, (esp.thinking they might provide some protection from LOAD). But as has been pointed out here, that just may be a false assumption. I admit...kept hoping that correlation would hold up!

My functional doc just told me yesterday about a supplement that may provide support resolving the immune response (e.g. to exercise), reducing discomfort/pain, and avoiding some of the potential downsides of NSAIDS. It's called SPM Active, derived from omega-3 fatty acids. I haven't tried it or done much research on it yet, but did google the author, Dr. Charles N. Serhan, of a 2014 article in Nature (link below) who discusses the concept that I'm assuming led to the development of a commercial product.

Would love to know if anyone here has heard of/tried this? I'll prob give it a try and will let you know if I see an benefit. (And btw, like many here, I also use curcumin products, Lonvida and sometimes CuraMed, which I believe have helped reduce inflammation somewhat.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4263681/
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Keep talking Susan, unless you don't really want me taking you up on it 8-)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

(((Silver))) So sorry, my friend. I also deal with intermittent pain issues. You've gotten great advice, but just wanted to throw another idea out for your consideration. You say that your pain is NOT associated with food. Are you sure? My lifelong debilitating pain receded tremendously when I cut out gluten. I now pay attention to lectins and feel pretty certain they also contribute for me. Glucosamine chondroitin helps in that regard. It might be worth a trial... I also find it very interesting that a very common ingredient in African cuisine is dried shrimp paste- another variation of glucosamine chondroitin? :idea:. (You'll recall that Africa has a high percentage of E4 carriers; but low levels of CVD/AD.)
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Lot of good thoughts here. Last year we completed a bathroom renovation and we installed a deep soaker tub. The new tub combined with our solar water heater water has been great for joint pain. I do take the curcumin and DHA xtra from Nordic Naturals. I've considered the glucosamine chondroitin, but have always been scared off of reports of GI disturbance. I already struggle with reflux that I think is due to the Ehlers. I think I'll bite the bullet on this one and buy some at Costco. I also take 500mg Vitamin C, but want to try to increase that without GI upset. Jules, I do have a fairly limited diet. I think for instance I might react to cucumbers and I've cut them out. I also cut out bell peppers. I'm mostly eating a low lectin diet lately. Lucy5, please let us know what you think of the SPM Active. The tart cherry juice is interesting as well. I remember reading that the tart cherries are fairly low in glycemic value; I'll look into that one too. Katie, the salsalate intrigued me but once again, I'm afraid...lol. I have a blood clotting disorder and I also experience some weird vascular stuff, I had some type of mini vasospasm in my retina a couple of years ago...so I'm always weirded out by daily meds that affect vascular. I dunno, I feel I'm in analysis paralysis on this whole issue!

Circ...yep, ehlers danlos sucks! I feel certain my condition is more mild than yours and maybe Julie's, but I do recognize that I'm different from my non Ehlers friends and peers. Life is more complicated for sure, always keeping your limitations in the back of your mind. As you know it's more than just joints, it's systemic stuff too. I do want to push the envelope for sure. I HATE hate hate that I can't run for instance when I feel stressed...there's nothing like a good hard exercise session for stress relief. I have a treadmill at home, but now wonder if I should've invested in an elliptical? I too cannot use any incline whatsoever. I'm having many, many issues joint/muscle/tendon wise....keeping everything just shy of having to get medical care (shoulders, hips, and back in particular and nerve compressions, etc.). I'm so afraid of surgery because of our brains...not wanting to deal with the anesthesia and resulting significant pain meds. Ahhh, I depress myself just writing all of this...yikes!

I think pain management is important for our population and especially as we age, we need to know what's best overall. I'm hoping to continue to add to this thread...
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

(((Silver))) I think we've all been in analysis paralysis at least once or twice.

Circ, I think we need a Colorado hot springs weekend for all us creaky jointed, fighting-pain-in-the-where-ever folks. Sounds like a plan to me. :D