Reporting Aboard

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Reporting Aboard

Post by Stavia »

Yip. Also the Kitavans.
But I feel its deceptive for certain groups with an agenda of defending their position to take one facet of a lifestyle and use that facet in isolation to defend their point of view and to promote application to another population in a different environmental and genetic context. For instance it may not be the low fat/high carb in the pre-European influenced Pima or Kitavans. It may be the exercise. It may be the greens. It may be the low sucrose. It may be absence of yukky chemicals. It may be a myriad of other genetic players. It may be the lack of electricity and longer sleep at night. It may be little green men or another factor we haven't even considered yet. Or it may be all the things.

Be skeptical. Think context. Think big. Never assume anything.
But live each day happy :)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ps. I personally don't think our protection is more than a small amount based in macronutrient composition of diet. It's very reductionist and blinkered and misses out so many complex crucial factors.
For instance I think exercise is our number one most important strategy. And I don't do enough :(
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

I'm with you in spades, although I'm wondering if quality sleep might be challenging exercise for top spot.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Yup. Agreed. I was going to put it second but thought my post was long enough.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

cdamaden wrote:I'm with you in spades, although I'm wondering if quality sleep might be challenging exercise for top spot.
that is when the plaque is cleaned out... I remember putting something here on it and there is something also on sleeping on a angle with your head higher helping drainage!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves, Chris! Yes, Dr. Gundry suggests that only low fat (white) fish, shellfish and pastured eggs are safe animal proteins for E4 carriers AND he wants us to limit these to 4 oz or less a day. As Stavia acknowledges, this is not based upon peer reviewed evidence, but rather his clinical work with hundreds of E4 patients. He's going to be speaking at our meet-up in Boulder this summer.

It's been a while since I took a deep dive into the Pima Indians, but I think the purpose of those studies was to try to find out WHY such a large proportion of this population became ill with primarily T2D and CVD when they began eating a Western diet loaded with sugar, refined carbs, and SFA. On their traditional diets (very high in carbs,) they were borderline obese, had elevated TGs, glucose, and insulin BUT low LDL. During the time this was studied, Ancel Key's lipid hypothesis was gospel. Other CVD risk factors were largely ignored. Subsequently, researchers hypothesized that it was the Pima Indian's low fat diet that guarded them from chronic illness. Looking at the raw data, this didn't lead to optimal health (far from it!) for the E4 carriers just better than when a Western diet was adopted. I always like to go back to raw data rather than trust author's conclusions as they're very often slanted by the prevailing "group think" of that era. Every traditional culture develops chronic disease once they adopt the diet and lifestyle of Westerners.

We should devote a thread to the Pima Indian studies. There are several. I'd enjoy the opportunity to carefully go through them. IMHO, they provide great examples of Westin Price's hypothesis outlined in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Quick update. After about 3-4 weeks on minimal red meat, HFLC diet, here are my new lipid values:
Cho: 175, down from 259 at a different lab in Feb and 191 from the same lab in Jan
LDL: 115, down from 187 and 129
HDL: 48, from 67 and 48
Tri: 59.8, down from 79 and 71.9

Granted this is only one data point, but it appears that this E4/E4 came down on his lipids from the Paleo diet as fast as they went up when going on!
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, E4 carriers tend to be very quick responders. Congrats! Can you briefly describe the dietary changes you made?
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Hi Julie,
Yes, I stopped using bacon fat, stopped coconut oil but then added back one spoonful with my morning cup of espresso, replaced those oils with increased olive oil and avocado oil, cut back from ~20 oz of red meat a day to 3 oz, added in 2 egg yolks/day, added in a bit of chicken, went from 1 can of sardines a week to 2 or 3, added back nuts ~2/3 cup a day, increased avocado from 2/week to 5/week. I was eating fruit but dropped it to fight reflux, didn't really eat much dairy before.
I also upped my walking to ~45 minutes a day and started wearing a fitbit. My sleep had been a focus area but the diet change-up has taken front seat. I'll be reengaging on sleep now that I made progress on diet - both with lipids and blood sugar as per my own measurements.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Chris, your TG and LDL had over a 10% dip comparing to the same lab. Have you ever had an advanced lipid panel? As long as your LDL and LDL-P are not discordant (higher particle number than expected for the relatively low LDL) or an inherited high lp(a) like I have, your dietary changes should suffice. Seems like there's a number of us very sensitive to coconut oil/higher saturated fat.