A Close Call

Fellowship for kindred spirits.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

A Close Call

Post by Silverlining »

I debated posting this, but what the hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained. My 3/3 husband received a stent yesterday. He had a 95% blockage of the "widowmaker" artery. It blew my mind and put me in a bit of an emotional tailspin. He just turned 60 a couple of weeks ago; he's thin, lifelong exerciser, normal BP, ok lipids (HDL 51, LDL 107, Trigs 80), eats a pretty good diet due to my influence, overall seems kinda healthy on paper and certainly looks healthy. He is a type A personality. He does take testosterone and has run very high (over range) for a couple of years; his primary care dr. didn't seem concerned but I was and my husband finally cut his T therapy recently and is now low. So he's working to get that in the middle range now. He is prediabetic, but I bought him a meter a couple of weeks ago and he's drilling down even more on his carbs. He also has untreated sleep apnea (moderate), he tried and gave up on the cpap, but he's definitely on board now for making that happen after this week.

Basically, he had some chest pain while walking on Tuesday. We both felt like he should be checked, but the response from our primary dr. was a little sluggish. Even though the chest pain was limited to Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning we decided he should just visit ER for a quick check. His BP and vitals were fine, his labs fine, the ER dr. almost sent him home, BUT, he has family history of CVD. (Today I learned family history trumps all in my opinion!). They made the call (the right one!) to admit him for a more thorough evaluation. The stress test with dye indicated a problem area, but everyone appeared to be surprised when during the cath procedure, they found the major blockage. He also has another artery 40% blocked that they will monitor. In my mind this is a game changer for us...we were both thinking that with the 4/4, I was the one with the probable shorter lifespan, but this seems very significant to me! According to what they told us yesterday, he will be on lifelong aspirin, statins, beta blocker and plavix for a year. Sometimes I wonder if I'm advising him correctly on diet, since I'm telling him pretty much what I do....for several months now, he's been eating lower carb, lots of veggies, avocados, some nuts, minimal meat, pastured eggs for breakfast on the weekends. Last week, he cut out his daily OJ and switched to V8. Since I bought him the meter, he's finally understanding the carb effect and is seeing spikes with his daily oatmeal and raisins (imagine that!). I just don't know if as a 3/3, he should up the pufa's mufa's? He has lost some weight with the lower carbs lately. From what I read 3's are so different from 4's. This is the only health forum I spend time on and I know there are so many smart people here. I don't want take up a lot of anyone's time, but if we're missing something kinda big, please share. Thanks. (Edited to add he's a very active athlete, works hard, plays hard and has had maybe 8 surgeries in the past few years for structural stuff: knees, shoulders, cervical spine, wrists, etc., don't know if that has contributed...).
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: A Close Call

Post by Julie G »

(((Silver))) I'm so proud of you two for pushing for help and so, so grateful that your sweet hubby is OK. I can only imagine how difficult all of this has been. I'm rushing out the door to an eye appt., but needed to let you know how much I care. XO
jmichelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmichelz »

Check out this video:
http://sanjayguptamd.blogs.cnn.com/2011 ... rt-attack/

What's going to be an optimal diet for him will probably be different than an optimal diet for you.

John
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Silver, be so very thankful that your husband's artery (LAD?) was opened before permanently damaging the heart. We all need to recognize how heart disease is a silent killer. I so wished my husband had the cardiac calcium scan last year before his major heart attack, yet it turns out that on the angiogram he only had mild calcification. Again family history of his father's major heart attack at age 48 trumps.

Recently I discovered that 3/3s are better with more EPA ( than DHA, as the latter might increase the cholesterol. He stopped fish oil a few months prior to his attack and while on vacation, increased his carbs (increased A1c to 5.5).

This is going to be a transition period alternating between disbelief, anger and depression for both of you. Please PM if you want to commiserate.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Silver - I'm so glad your husband's health care providers decided to be conservative and follow through. Conventional medicine has a place, and this was one of them. I don't have any medical advice, but your attention and his willingness to adjust seem like a great combination. I also just wanted to send my well wishes.
Chris
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Silver,
You are being such a help to your husband by seeking out the best diet information for him. I'm thankful the doctors did the
additional testing that he needed. Your diligence in keeping up your health will be an inspiration for him to follow to keep him in the best possible health. (((((Silver,Mr.Silver)))))
Starfish
Hubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hubbs »

(((((Silver,Mr.Silver))))) What a blessing the ER doctor made the right call at a critical time! Wishing you best in coping and recovery!
E3/E4
MTHFR compound heterozygous (C677T and A1298C)
A1c5.7/LDL-P1602
All advices appreciated :)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Honey I'll write you more when I'm home but just wanted to flag that there's good evidence omega 3s are protective in CVD. Drown him in 3s plus get his glucose as low as possible.
Mwah.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

John, thanks for the video, I plan to watch it this week. Katie, I wondered about the EPA vs DHA, because I think I read that somewhere too. Stavia, yes, weirdly enough he doesn't like fish (like me), but I'm going to work on that with him. I just feel lost with this strange "3/3" body type...I think I need to create a login at the heartlife talk forum...just hate the idea of spending significant time on another forum, but what must be done, must be done! I appreciate the care, love and advice guys! I'll let "Mr. Silver" know of your felicitations (if I can chase him down and catch him, he's been his usual busy bee self today....!)
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Silver, conventional medicine has its miracles, doesn't it? I'm so glad you and your husband were recipients of one of them. :-)
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!