Any basics you can help with?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Any basics you can help with?

Post by Julie G »

So Salmon (my fav :)) is good as it is part of SMASH, is oily. But I just shouldn't eat too much, due to it being fatty (and it may have some Mercury). Is that right? So 3 times a week, is that okay? Is shellfish the same?
Dr. Gundry's suggestion that we should avoid fatty fish is based upon his assertion (from observation) that animal fats raise sdLDL in E4 carriers. The problem: unless you do advanced lipid testing, you won't know if your sdLDL is elevated :? . That's your clue to watch out for fatty fish and animal fat overall. Your TG/HDL ratio typically gives a rough estimate of particle size. (sdLDL -small, dense LDL- is a percentage of overall particles. Dr. Gundry wants it below 30%. Your Tg/HDL ratio is good...not great, so it's probably a good idea to keep salmon to just a few times a week- not every meal. Mercury is not a big concern with salmon, such as wild caught sockeye Alaskan. I often use a Wild Planet canned version (BPA-free) mixed with tons of veg when my husband is traveling- easy. Any shellfish or wild caught white fish is fine for everyday. Be careful not to get farm-raised shrimp.
Is Green veg the only thing that is truly limitless? (But even that has iron).
Don't worry about the iron that occurs from plant sources. It's supplemental iron that we need to avoid; unless indicated. YES, most of us eat tons of greens and other non-starchy veggies. I eat more than 10 cups a day. Many here also eat lots of healthy fats: high polyphenol EVOO, avocados, nuts, seeds.
JJ 007
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JJ 007 »

Thank you so much.
I really appreciate all of this info (and good as I was about to sprinkle chai on my porridge eek!)
Thank you again xx
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Great info guys.
Just flagging that not everyone accepts the lectin hypothesis. And even if it is valid, not everyone might be lectin sensitive.
JJ 007
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JJ 007 »

I'm following your rules Stavia from that brilliant thread you put up in the newbie area. Also watched the U tube clip with the AD dr about his book, which correlated with yours.
Me and my hubbie have been reading your posts (about 4 times now lol).
So trying to adhere to it. (and doing quite well).

The Lectin thing, made it far harder as a lot of the good things for us to eat, were on the bad list for lectin.

I think for now, I'm sticking with your diet Stavia and then I'll look at the lectins after/later. (as there will be nothing for me to eat, if I do both).

Are the lectins mostly to do with the heart or specifically linked to AD, as I'm (oddly) obsessed with the AD, but not too concerned re: the heart.
This is because my heart is in good health, but my brain, this is another matter. (I feel like I am thinking through treacle some days) fog is an under statement.
x
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Ahh, JJ 007, you keep asking good questions.
Are the lectins mostly to do with the heart or specifically linked to AD, as I'm (oddly) obsessed with the AD, but not too concerned re: the heart.
Simplistically, lectins increase inflammation which is believed to lead to leaky gut (intestinal permeability) which leads to an immune reaction in the body that leads to numerous chronic diseases.

As you probably already know, Apo E4 gene has been associated with increased susceptibility to accelerated atherosclerosis (heart disease), decreased longevity, susceptibility to infectious diseases, and Alzheimer’s disease, so our diet is aimed at keeping our body as happy as possible. What’s good for the body seems to be good for the brain.

But as a 4/4 with a very good calcium score on my heart scan indicating low risk for heart disease at this point, I too, am specifically concerned about my AD risk. So, with regard to dementia/Alzheimer’s, remember I referred to the Framingham study in my previous post where women who had a high rate of AD also had elevated levels of Adiponectin, here is the link where I copied these results
http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/article ... type=HWCIT

And here are the results as stated from that study/link:
Results Over a mean follow-up period of 13 years, 159 persons developed dementia (including 125 with AD). After adjustment for other risk factors, only adiponectin in women was associated with an increased risk of all-cause dementia (hazard ratio [HR], 1.29; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.00-1.66; P = .054) and AD (HR, 1.33; 95% CI, 1.00-1.76; P = .050) per 1-SD increase in adiponectin level. Women with baseline adiponectin values more than the median had a higher risk of all-cause dementia (HR, 1.63; 95% CI, 1.03-2.56; P = .04) and AD (HR, 1.87; 95% CI, 1.13-3.10; P = .01) as compared with those with values less than the median
Dr Gundry has noticed elevated adiponectin is a marker for lectin sensitivity. What are his props? Well he has treated thousands of patients with the ApoE4 gene with follow up for 15 years and many are now successfully aging into their mid-to late 80s without consequence.

I agree, there are so many yummy, and according to conventional wisdom, healthy foods, that I no longer eat. I used to grow tomatoes in my backyard every summer, loved them! But now that we’ve been following this low lectin diet for about a year now, it really isn’t so bad, you just have to rise up a little to extend your vision beyond your current horizon to find lots of other good foods out there.

But of course, the decision is yours. As Stavia said, and I love her and her contributions to this forum immensely, not everyone has bought into lectins being correlated to dementia.

Maybe as a compromise, instead of giving up those yummy cucumbers, peppers, etc., you could just start with grains. Recently, in March 2016, Dr Mark Hyman, director of the Cleveland Clinic for medicine, conducted an interview with Dr Bredesen, the leading Alzheimer’s researcher. In asking about dementia causal factors, Dr Hyman asked Dr Bredesen, “How does the gut play a role in the brain, dementia?” Dr Bredesen’s response was, “The gut is playing a huge role. We’re seeing a number of these people have very clearly leaky guts, LPS, {Lipopolysaccharides}, antibodies, they’ve got hsCRPs {high-sensitivity C-reactive protein}, and some of them, interestingly, not all, they’ve often got sensitization to gluten, some to other grains, things like that, so again we try to get them on more of a fat diet, just the sort of thing you’ve recommended over the years.”

But it’s up to you. Enjoy some humus for me.

-Theresa
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Juliegee wrote: Dr. Gundry's suggestion that we should avoid fatty fish is based upon his assertion (from observation) that animal fats raise sdLDL in E4 carriers. The problem: unless you do advanced lipid testing, you won't know if your sdLDL is elevated :? . That's your clue to watch out for fatty fish and animal fat overall. Your TG/HDL ratio typically gives a rough estimate of particle size. (sdLDL -small, dense LDL- is a percentage of overall particles. Dr. Gundry wants it below 30%. Your Tg/HDL ratio is good...not great, so it's probably a good idea to keep salmon to just a few times a week- not every meal. Mercury is not a big concern with salmon, such as wild caught sockeye Alaskan. I often use a Wild Planet canned version (BPA-free) mixed with tons of veg when my husband is traveling- easy. Any shellfish or wild caught white fish is fine for everyday. Be careful not to get farm-raised shrimp.
As a note, on our labs from Gundry, sdLDL is reported as mg/dL and Gundry's target is <=30 mg/dL.

Gundry also tests the Omega 3 Index and does prescribe fish oil for us, specifically DHA at least 1000 mg/day (we take 4/day of pills that have 274 mg DHA and 410 EPA/pill) He wants the index >=10.

On the lectin theory, my personal experience is as follows. Prior to reducing my lectins, per Gundry, I'd had lifelong large quantities of nasal secretions, periodic itching in my mouth and rectum and later started to get RA-like symptoms in my hands. Reducing the lectins has reduced the nasal secretions by 85% -90% now. All the other issues are gone. Also I had an elevated level of Lp-PLA2 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17892360, that I'd been unable to lower. The before mentioned issues went away with a less strict elimination of lectins. When I went very strict on lectin elimination (following the full E4 version of his Matrix diet https://www.apoe4.info/forums/download/file.php?id=760 - the linked file does not include the E4 modifications - no animal fat and allowing shell fish, white fish up to 20g protein - 4 oz for either/day or up to 4 omega 3/pastured eggs) and I started supplementing with Pycnogenol and Grape Seed Extract (per Gundry), my Lp-PLA2 dropped into the acceptable range.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Nicely said Theresa. And I love you too <3
I agree totally with your advice of first dropping processed foods including grains then looking at individual components of diet next.
Thanks for the links.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Stavia wrote:Nicely said Theresa. And I love you too <3
I agree totally with your advice of first dropping processed foods including grains then looking at individual components of diet next.
Thanks for the links.
Agreed... that is more or less where I started. I am still eating some peppers and tomato's, either in salads or some of the meals I prepare (like chicken cacciatore). Have not had any processed food in over 2 months now (other than dining out... and then I really watch what I eat). Basically like you told me my dear, if you don't prepare it your self you don't know what's in it!!

I've not gotten to the point where I am micro managing my numbers yet... the point being I feel better than ever, going to ride the wave for a few months and reassess after I visit lipidologist in mid-June.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Interesting reading these responses. I think it helps to develop a tolerance for cognitive dissonance around here. Because not everybody needs the same exact intervention. And not everything works the same for all people. Priorities, at least, will vary.
JJ 007
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JJ 007 »

Brilliant
That's great info :)

Will vary my veg so that I can avoid some more of the lectins. Grains will be a good start and a few of those veggies too. Wow it does seem compelling if dr Grundy is seeing it so much.

It's really useful too about the supplements and why amounts you take.
I have ordered some DhA and epa (it has 250 and 300 respectively) so I'll take 3 or 4 per day :)
Also ordered rasvastrol (500mg) and D3 (1000mui)
Have some raw cocoa too.

So I won't need any food as I'll be full lol

I've already almost cut out most meat, sugar and carbs (almost all) plus dairy (apart from a little in my coffee) so it's been a good week. Grains tomorrow :)

Thanks again you guys are so lovely and helpful X