Shellfish?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Shellfish?

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Does this group consider shellfish acceptable or even healthy? Grilled octopus? Crab? Raw oysters and clams?

My fingers are crossed.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Shellfish?

Post by circular »

Gotta run but I think this gets a big green light! Dr. Gundry pushes it in e4s, although he caps our animal protein at 20 gm/day. I think my needs are higher and biomarkers support it, so I'm at about 40 and going up.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Tiramisu I think the majority of non-vegans would say enjoy!!
I personally am not a Gundry follower but feel that the foods you have listed all are a good source of protein and nutrients. I eat them up to several times a week.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I'm cautiously considering shellfish a healthy, top-tier protein source for the time being. I had 1lb of mussels for breakfast today, in fact. :D

It's interesting that these are a source of carbohydrates via glycogen. I do have some slight concern over metals / toxins, but I suppose these are found in some form or another throughout the food chain.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I had about 3/4 lbs if snow crab with my salad today.... have a freezer with shrimp, crab, calamari, lobster, and mussels. Buy when on sale and stock up.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

What a relief!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I'm curious what Dr. Gundry's thoughts are on things, but I wouldn't consider myself a follower, in that I see a follower as someone who doesn't question. In the case of shellfish I don't have a take on his view, but he believes they help keep our cholesterol from getting oxidized, something he said e4s are prone to have happen.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

What I mean is that I am not sufficiently convinced of the evidence for some of his conclusions ( including the shellfish-low LDL oxidation theory) , and the applicability of the utility of some of his interventions specifically in preventing or delaying AD.
However I am completely supportive of our members who have decided otherwise and feel healthier for their choices.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia wrote:What I mean is that I am not sufficiently convinced of the evidence for some of his conclusions ( including the shellfish-low LDL oxidation theory) , and the applicability of the utility of some of his interventions specifically in preventing or delaying AD.
Me neither, from a scientific perspective. I haven't heard him say much about preventing AD specifically. I think he's more experienced in to how e4 has influenced his CV patients in that arena. He does, though, make one or two recommendations for us vis AD (niacimamide and Longevinex), but I'm cognizant that he's not a neurologist specializing in that area. I default more to Dr. Bredesen for guidance there. I follow and try some of his recommendations because of all the people he's helped. I think in many cases there's probably more than one explanation for their improvement, and some of his definitive statements strike me as oversimplified. I'm hoping there's more science in his next book. We'll see.
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Surfrank57 »

Ru with a freezer full of that awesome fish, you can't go wrong, nice, I am coming over for dinner, lol.
Frank