Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Julie G »

WOW, George & Wife :D. I can only imagine the amount of time involved in putting that post together. I look forward to having the time to fully explore everything. I continue to maintain that we learn the most from generous diet/biomarkers shares like this. Of course, you've provided so much more... I'm deeply grateful for your efforts. I especially LOVE that you're employing the combined approaches of Drs. Gundry, Bredesen, and Wahls. Kudos to you both.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Apod wrote:
I'm curious, are any of your supplements consumed purposefully in the morning outside of your eating window?
Yes. I take some supplements first thing in the morning with my coffee. Technically I’m breaking my fast I suppose, but this doesn’t seem to affect my insulin, so I’m not concerned about it. The supplements I take in the morning are those which should be on an empty stomach (Longevinex), since I typically don’t eat for 5 – 6 hours after I get up, plus the niacinamide that I'm supposed to take twice a day and those I spread throughout the course of the day: the three/day Modified Citrus Pectins and the four/day Fish Oil softgels. I take the rest of my supplements, approx half and half, with my two meals.

I think George takes supplements in the morning, but I'm not sure, he’s always changing his routine around.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

apod wrote: That tidbit about Gundry's LDL and oxLDL going up after consuming higher amounts of chocolate was interesting (as dark chocolate is often mentioned to reduce oxLDL). It sounds like it wasn't necessarily the sugar content, but Stearic acid. Tricky!
I believe this is a fair illustration as to how Gundry operates. He started his diet by testing himself, then family & close circle, later patients. As he is not an E4, doesn't apply to the E4 part, however he has tested for this for years and sees what happens on the battery of tests he gives. I look at his approach as an ongoing interventional trial, and like Dr. Bredesen, trying to optimize each person. Though I've not asked about this, I'm guessing a lot of what is "good" or "bad" on his diet started with him testing himself and seeing what happened to his metrics, then expanding that gradually in his circle till he was confident enough to put it out for general distribution.
With a lot of your protein and calories coming from nuts (including walnuts / pecans), it seems like linoleic acid would have a tendency to run higher, yet your omega balance looks great -- n-6 isn't too high, MUFA is up at the top range, and n-3 is right where you want it. I'm thinking this is from competition via the fish oil consumed around the same time?
I do take the fish oil in the evening around the time I eat the nuts.
I'm curious, are any of your supplements consumed purposefully in the morning outside of your eating window?
Like Theresa, I take the Longevinex (resveratrol) away from everything else. I do take DHEA in the morning as I found it was not helpful for sleep in the evening. I take ginko biloba with it as the ginko is supposed to stop conversion of testosterone to estrogen. Also niacinimide. I try to concentrate everything else into my eating window so as to not disrupt my fast. I only drink water, otherwise.
Juliegee wrote:I especially LOVE that you're employing the combined approaches of Drs. Gundry, Bredesen, and Wahls.
When I look at what Dr. Bredesen is saying from 30,000', I see that E4's are prone to inflammation. Hence, I think all of these approaches have merit to reducing our inflammation, and our biomarkers bear this out. At some point, we will likely try to check more of the Bredesen boxes, but as asymptomatic people, we think our approach is sufficient for the moment.
Tincup
E3,E4
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahAnne »

One quick tangent about lectins, if anyone has the answer to this. I've been curious about the lectin philosophy of Dr. D'Adamo of "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" fame. He has said that if you eat a food with protein lectins that are incompatible with your blood type antigen, the lectins wreak havoc in your system, and lead to disease. He provides lists of foods that people should avoid, by blood type. For example, for my blood type which is B, a few key foods that he claims I should avoid at all costs are shellfish and avocado because of specific lectins that are troublemakers with my blood antigens. Does anyone know if the blood-type lectin issue is a real thing or just marketing malarky, or somewhere in between? If Dr. Gundry suggests eating shellfish and avocado, it would be useful for me to know. Many thanks, in advance.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Theresa & George, gonna add another WOW to the growing chorus. What a wonderful resource for us all to have. This had to take a lot of thought/time to pull together; you guys are the best.

I'm starting to work my way thru your post now. A minor question I have is what made you choose Longevinex as your resveratrol choice? I used it for a number of years and switched more recently to another source (resVida), mainly because I was increasing my supplement stack & wasn't sure I needed/wanted the growing ingredient blend of Longevinex.

And other question looking at this (July 9 '15 post) Dr. Gundry comment recommending niacinamide
...Niacinimide (2x500 mg/day) is best supplement for E4’s for brain health.
I'd love a bit of insight, if Gundry has discussed it, why he recommends niacinamide vs nicotinamide riboside for this purpose?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

LucyS wrote,
A minor question I have is what made you choose Longevinex as your resveratrol choice?
During our consult with Dr Gundry in January of 2016, Dr Gundry recommended it saying (I added bold font):
“…I’ve been a huge fan of a supplement that you get out of Las Vegas called Longevinex and if you’re not on Longevinex, then you probably ought to be, both of you. It’s Longevienx.com. I’ve been taking it for 10 years at least, I have no affiliation with them, I don’t think they even know I exist. They’ve actually got some of the only data that proves that their formulation of resveratrol is an active form that actually works in humans. I got turned on to it by David Sinclair the Harvard Researcher on Resveratrol years ago. … They make two varieties, you don’t need the more expensive one, you need their basic one and just take one a day on an empty stomach. “

One note to this, he said empty stomach, the instructions with the supplement says take with food. I later asked Dr Gundry which, he said empty stomach because it can conflict with any Vitamin C in food.
I'd love a bit of insight, if Gundry has discussed it, why he recommends niacinamide vs nicotinamide riboside for this purpose?
From our consult with Dr Gundry in July 2016:
"G: So you recommended niacinamide for brain health. Does niacin as nicotinic acid also work?
Dr G: No, doesn’t seem to work.
G: Is it safe to compare it to nicotinamide riboside at all?
Dr G: Yeah, good question. So it’s definitely a more active ingredient. The problem is if you extrapolate from rat studies you’d have to take about two bottles of that every day and take out a second mortgage and sell your first born child. So the stuff is very expensive. I think niacinamide is probably, for what we’re looking for it to do, is probably just as effective. There’s no human data on the roboside. That’s part of the problem."
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Thanks Theresa!
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Theresa, are you taking ginko biloba?
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

TheresaB wrote: I got turned on to it by David Sinclair the Harvard Researcher on Resveratrol years ago. …
Aren't you concerned? Recommended by a fraud, and isn't this the firm that also allegedly funded the Das fraud at arms length?

At what point do you say - this guy is making up all sorts of stuff about lectins which is not found in any research, and recommending supplements that just happen to have been touched by every resveratrol fraudster?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

ApropoE4 wrote
Aren't you concerned? Recommended by a fraud…
No, I guess I should not have truncated Dr Gundry’s quote. This is the entirety of Dr Gundry’s quote on longevinex (bold face added):

"I’ve been a huge fan of a supplement that you get out of Las Vegas called Longevinex and if you’re not on Longevinex, then you probably ought to be, both of you. It’s Longevienx.com. I’ve been taking it for 10 years at least, I have no affiliation with them, I don’t think they even know I exist. They’ve actually got some of the only data that proves that their formulation of resveratrol is an active form that actually works in humans. I got turned on to it by David Sinclair the Harvard Researcher on Resveratrol years ago. Because he was actually taking it during all his research even though he could take his own compound. Turns out his compound was worthless but he made $600 million on it and Merc threw it away after they bought it and discovered it was worthless, but that’s a great story anyhow."

So the Harvard resveratrol researcher knew his own compound was a fraud, so he took Longevinex instead. :D
this guy is making up all sorts of stuff about lectins
In our Q&A session at the Ancestral Health Symposium, he talked about noticing many of his patients with with auto-immune disease and elevated inflammatory markers and when he started looking at the literature he said he found some fascinating studies, and specifically mentioned adiponectin and dementia. Of course, he didn’t specify these studies because this was a Q&A session, but I am aware of this study, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3512190/ And his presentation at the Symposium cited a number of studies to back up each of his dietary recommendations.

So making stuff up? If you say so, but my inflammation markers have gone down, George’s inflammation markers have gone done and his congestion has gone down and Rheumatoid Arthritis is gone. Our friend’s son who was diagnosed with Chrohn’s disease (bowel inflammation) as a youngster and couldn’t keep weight on and felt poorly is now off drugs and a healthy, active 17 year old on the wrestling team. Another friend with Hashimoto’s (another inflammatory condition) reversed her condition.

We all have to make our own decisions, but when Dr Gundry decided to change the course of his career from cardiothoracic surgery to restorative medicine 15 years ago, he sought out ApoE4s because of their increased susceptibility to accelerated atherosclerosis. As he cited at the end of his presentation at the Ancestral Health Symposium on dietary recommendations for ApoE4s,
“Using this protocol we have successfully minimized the deleterious effects of this ancestral gene in thousands of patients followed for up to 15 years, with many ApoE4/4s successfully aging into their mid to late eighties. Our current oldest one turned 87 a couple months ago and 26:51 numerous ApoE 3/4s now entering their nineties.”

If there is another doctor in this country who can make a similar claim, I would like to know, maybe we’ll start following him instead.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4