Sleep Apnea in E4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sleep Apnea in E4

Post by Doctor Lost »

Rs405509 is a very suspicious SNP on snpedia

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Rs405509
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Agree. Here's further elucidation:
http://iospress.metapress.com/content/y ... lltext.pdf

Clear as mud now :D
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Doctor Lost »

and I'm GT on that one too. :(
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

Interesting discussion as usual. Several years ago when I weighed 220 ( I'm 5 11") and drank alcohol I often woke up startled and gasping for breath. Since then I lost 35 pounds and stopped drinking any alcohol and the episodes and snoring have completely stopped. IMO this shows another reason to maintain a low BMI for our genotype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APO E3/4
pal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pal »

Kitano, many thanks for your informative post.

It’s interesting that among those who slept well (90th percentile) and had one E4 they halved their AD risk. http://www.alzforum.org/news/research-n ... entia-risk

It was particularly helpful to hear your personal story in that you didn’t have any reason to believe you had apnea nor any of the stereotypical risk factors. I’m glad you had a baseline test and that you are benefitting from the treatment with oxygen levels at 95 and above. Your story has definitely encouraged me to look into this further. It's interesting to find out about some other potential risk factors and that you can have apnea without snoring: http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedS ... oring.html

Thanks Sandra for the idea of purchasing an oximeter. Let me know if you found one that looks good. Based on a quick search, here’s some info. I found: http://www.amperordirect.com/pc/help-pu ... meter.html It looks like the continuous monitors rather the spot-check monitors may be more helpful.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Although I used the CMS recording monitor, the instructions and the download to the computer was awkward. My sensor/monitor was a cheap Chinese gadget, but the full page printout of my overnight data was worth it. Definitely buy the recording oximeter and wear a few nights, so you can be reassured that you did not have significant hypoxia during deep sleep. One home test showed the desat "only to 82" (be sure and see your raw data as this was told to me as "normal"), but another night of "good" sleep had a desat of 65 within two hours.

Should you snore, grasp or have multiple risk factors, I would encourage having full sleep study, rather than just the oximeter. It was very alarming to see my EEG was not zigging in response to such long apneas, as if something was askew with my brain. However, my complacent brain adapted very easily to the nightly tube. Sleep apnea is very stigmatized, so feel free to PM me if you have questions.

We will have to stay abreast with the NYU study as to AD and sleep apnea---which came first?
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

I wonder if the issue is disturbed sleep , not just sleep apnea. Once again, I consider my parents who are carriers of at least one "4" each:

Dad= overweight/obese at times, severe snoring and sleep apnea. Age 79, no AD, no history of it in his family.
Mom = always thin, no sleep apnea. AD victim.
However, she worked nights for many years. The earliest she would've gone to sleep was midnight, only to be awakened by her snoring spouse. She then got up with the rest of us. And she did not nap.

So to what degree was her brain affected by getting 6 hours of fractured sleep every night for at least 30 years?
4/4
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

RN, Since you "clear" amyloid during sleep, I would think that disrupted sleep, not getting the deep stages would interfere with this clearance. Sleep apnea increases dramatically during REM sleep phases, so your mom may had very shortened REM periods due so few hours of sleep and partner's snoring. I recall the studies of long-term night nurses had higher overall mortality rates, and will check if AD was even noted. The 2014 Stanford study mentioned in previous posts, suggests that E4 men do not seem to be as affected like E4 women, so that might explain your father.
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

Kitano, Thank you for the explanation! I have always had poor sleep habits myself (nothing medically wrong, just being irresponsible) and only recently began to value sleep. This is a huge reason for me to change my ways .
4/4
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Well to add to this my sis was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with AD and had a sleep study
they indicated it was fine. Just this week she had a duplicate study and has sleep apnea
and requires a CPAP. In this case neuro indicates it came after so I dont know what
to think.