Hello, so relieved I found this website

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ebaker
New User
New User

Hello, so relieved I found this website

Post by ebaker »

Hi,

I'm 22 years old I recently decided to do 23andme because I was experiencing liver issues. Along with a genetic link to my liver issues, I found that I am a e3/e4. I panicked at first, but am very glad to have found this website. I feel optimistic that this does not mean I am guaranteed to develop Alzheimer's. I was wondering if anyone has been to a genetic counselor? I am interested in meeting with one but don't know how to go about it or if my insurance would cover it? Also I am of Native American/East Asian ancestry and a woman and I saw some articles saying that these factors could increase my chances of developing AD. Can anyone could give me some insight into this, or what I should do to help counter these factors. I have read the introduction and the things I can do for prevention (many I am doing already to help my liver). I am adopted so I don't know anything about family history. I do have 2 biological first cousins who are around my age, but neither of them have done 23andme. Any insight would be helpful, thanks!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello, so relieved I found this website

Post by ru442 »

Welcome ebaker!!

You've come to the right place, there is a lot of information to absorb here, but you should first start with the primer by Stavia:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

This will help you get a handle on things you can do now, and develop a plan for addressing any issues you may have related to your 3/4 status. Some folks take a slower approach than others, don't feel pressured to have to do it all at once. It takes baby steps for some of us and that is OK. Making progress is more important than following everything to the letter.

Other folks will chime in and provide some answers for you where possible.... but if anything there will be more questions!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Welcome ebaker :)
I hear your concern and its great that you are considering your health.
You are still very young and I have no doubt that in the next one to two decades we will know much more about all of our concerns.
My kids are 29 and 26 and I am not worried about them (I am 4/4 so they are 3/4).
In the meantime the best thing you can do is start applying general lifestyle strategies as are in my primer. They will reduce the risk of all chronic diseases :)
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hi ebaker and welcome to our site!

I'm also glad you found us. I'm sure all of us here have had similar feelings when we first discovered our E4 status, so we understand your initial panic. I'm glad to hear you're feeling more optimistic now, because you are right; a 3/4 status does NOT guarantee you will ever develop Alzheimers. There are many members of this site who are 3X (+!) your age, including E4/4s, (like me) who are healthy and asymptomatic. At just 22, you have lots of time to learn about the possible downstream effects of the E4 variant as well as strategies to stay healthy along the way.
ebaker wrote: I was wondering if anyone has been to a genetic counselor?
I haven't chosen to go that route, so I can't give you advice, but I'm sure others here will weigh in if they have.
ebaker wrote: Also I am of Native American/East Asian ancestry and a woman and I saw some articles saying that these factors could increase my chances of developing AD
If you've read articles claiming higher rates of AD in certain populations, you'll want to dive into the detail to understand the basis for those conclusions. It's possible that that studied population may have a higher incidence of 4/4 carriers, higher rates of chronic diseases related to lifestyle choices, etc. So...perhaps based on data that doesn't relate to you as an individual at all.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hello Ebaker,
I'm glad you found our site. I'm almost four times your age and I have been able to make some significant positive changes in my health even at this late date.
Becoming aware of the possibilities of making health improvement at such an early age should be a real advantage. Stavia has done such a find job in creating a primer, you have a great place to start.
Starfish E4/E4 79
Ruth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ruth »

Welcome, Ebaker! Good for you for taking charge of your liver issues and taking a look at AD risk factors too. Time is definitely on your side -- I think you are going to be fine. :)
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

Welcome! I'm glad you found this forum! You will find so many great resources here and wonderful people who are willing to share their experiences.

About genetic counselors: I researched the options for counselors when I learned of my 4/4 status. The counselors in my area seemed to focus on specific diseases , and Alzheimer's was not one of them. So I had to think about why I wanted counseling. If I had wanted someone to help me process the implications of being APOE 4/4, a general genetic counselor would have been helpful. But, at the time, I wanted a foolproof protocol to follow to prevent the disease. I soon learned that no one could give me what I wanted, so I didn't pursue counseling.

I didn't find out if health insurance would've covered a genetic counselor. I do not want my APOE4 status included in my medical records if I can help it. I think counseling is more likely to be covered for something like the BRCA mutation.
4/4