The Homocysteine/AD connection

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Homocysteine/AD connection

Post by Stavia »

Just had to report happy news.
I last checked my homocysteine a year ago after 3 months on the B12/methylfolate/P5P and it was 7.3. Checked it again yesterday, same doses as per Bredesen, it's now 6.4. Does it take a while for the full effects of the vitamins to kick in?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Maybe, unlikely though. Three months should've been plenty of time. More likely, you're simply at a healthier place as reflected by your lower Hcy. Congrats!!!

Are you still off dairy? If so, that may have reduced your inflammation load a bit :idea:
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

yup, off dairy. But haven't noticed any difference asthma wise. I will probably restart at the end of the three months as promised and will check the homocysteine then.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Congrats!

Lower levels may be linked to less overall methionine in the diet...will be interesting to see if it goes up when you add back dairy.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

SusanJ wrote:Congrats!

Lower levels may be linked to less overall methionine in the diet...will be interesting to see if it goes up when you add back dairy.
thanks Susan. I've been pigging out on organ meats the last 2 weeks and ate an entire beef tongue myself over 3 days just prior to the test so prolly had huge amounts of methionine recently!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Great to hear, Stavia! Something you're doing is working... but what(?) I wonder. I thought you didn't have any of those troublesome MTHFR variants, tho... did I get that wrong? I'm homozygous for C677T & hoping that upping TMG a bit, cutting out milk and eating less red meat will bring it down a bit. Would be thrilled to see even an 8 on a lab test some day...hey, maybe I need to add beef tongue to my diet ;)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Susan said I had the vitamin B12 one. I don't understand methylation at all.
But my B12 is now 600ish on the methylB12 as per Bredesen
My homocysteine has halved from almost 13.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stavia, I'm inspired that you could half your HCY since I've made little progress ~10. Added LE liquid TMG (Susan's suggestion) and will cut down dairy further before my upcoming retest. My B12 was ~1200 so I've been able to cut back that supplement.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Stavia, I'm kinda amazed how one little variant (like that B12 "thingy") can cut your hcy in half. Awesome. And Katie, I'm with you, stuck at an hcy of 10. Supplementing w/800mcg methylfolate, 33mgs P5P and 1000mcg methylcobalamin, & have just upped my TMG from 500 to 700mgs. Last test my B12 was over 1800 (pg/mL), so not the problem. I'm thinking about adding some SAM-e, but a bit hesitant..

According to Genetic Genie, I'm: homozygous for MAO-A R297R, MTRR A66G, CBS A360A
heterozygous for: COMT V158M, COMT H62H, MTRR A664A, BHMT-02, MHMT-08, VDR Bsm &VDR Taq

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome! My doc has told me twice now (so I need to drop it w/her) that she can't get anyone below 10 in her practice.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Not a clue Lucy. Susan is the homocysteine whisperer. My supps are similar to your first three but I could only find a 1000mcg methyl-folate. I do eat a ton of greens tho, you've seen my food. Dunno.