The Homocysteine/AD connection

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: The Homocysteine/AD connection

Post by KatieS »

Lucy, I blame my persistent HCY on the BHMT-08 TT as this converts HCY to methionine. Plus, I'm finally thinking that my diet was overloaded with protein particularly NF greek yogurt & soy milk. Now I'm onto non-sweetened coconut yogurt, adding a minimal of greek yogurt and occasional flax milk. Susan's Wiki analysis explains the role of zinc. Perhaps, with our HCY challenge we need to review our whole diet, not just supplements? Years ago SAMe taken for chronic knee pain, made me feel hyper unless the dose was decreased to 200mg. Later this susceptibility was confirmed with some SNPs associated with high dopamine.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I went to 1 gram/day of TMG to get to 6.1. 500-700mg didn't cut it. There are studies in familial hyperhomocysteinemia that used up to 6 grams/day. So if you tolerate it okay, I'd say go up another increment to see what happens.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

My only hesitancy to increasing to taking 2 LE liquid TMG is the possible hyper side effect. Some claim TMG is like a "cheap SAMe". Do you take both capsules together early in the morning? Did your HCY respond within a few weeks?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Katie, I retested after 3 months, but from what I've read the effects should be within a day or two (and reverse just as quickly).

I take one with breakfast (mid-morning) and one with lunch. Haven't had any of the hyper side effects. I think that would imply that a person is just pushing the conversion back to methionine too hard, making more if it available to make SAMe. People that complain about being hyper might just be taking too much.

That said, I always titer up any supplement slowly to monitor side effects.

Lucy, try increasing your P5P (shoot for 40mg) to help that CBS variant. And if that doesn't budge it, try adding some riboflavin - it's a co-factor in a few places in the methylation cycle. And if all else fails, go up another notch on TMG. It took 1 g/day for me to get below 8 where I was stuck at the 750 mg level.

Also, as Katie mentioned, check your zinc levels (not the most accurate blood test), but if you're in the low range, then you're probably low.

Hope this helps, from "the homocysteine whisperer" :lol:
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

KatieS wrote:My only hesitancy to increasing to taking 2 LE liquid TMG is the possible hyper side effect. Some claim TMG is like a "cheap SAMe". Do you take both capsules together early in the morning? Did your HCY respond within a few weeks?
Just wanted to chime in, I've been supplementing this one in place of my usual B-Complex:

https://www.seekinghealth.com/homocyste ... 0-capsules -- 700mg TMG, 1mg B12, 800mcg B9, 15mg B6, 25mg B2.

I was actually thinking the TMG was making it a calming sort of supplement, similar to the effect I get with glycine (or taurine / theanine.) Ymmv.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Apod, that is the one of the supplements that I took for months, only to have my HCY climb slightly to 10.9.

Susan, I'll continue the first one with my 4:30 AM coffee, then the next dose when I eat. Definitely will spring for a zinc level if the HCY still doesn't budge.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

are you people using Ben Lynch's mythelation blood test panel? or just Hcy to get results as you all probably know when you mess with adjusting one variable it can take something else off something!
there is a very good book called the H factor soultion..by j braly m.d. but it still is a n-1 hack to get it rite!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

KatieS wrote: Years ago SAMe taken for chronic knee pain, made me feel hyper unless the dose was decreased to 200mg. Later this susceptibility was confirmed with some SNPs associated with high dopamine.
Thanks for sharing your experiences trying to lower Hcy. I also took SAMe years ago for similar reasons as you and loved it until that uncomfortable overstimulation effect kicked in, so I had to give it up. My TMG dose of 525 mgs hasn't given me any overstimulation issues at all, but also hasn't helped w/Hcy. Just recently upped it to 700 mgs and feel fine so far, so I'll prob go to 1 gram (as SusanJ suggested) & test to see where I am.

SusanJ (aka the homocysteine whisperer), I've been working my way, slowly, thru your amazing Methylation wiki. I really could use a week left alone w/my computer...and an empty house...to explore all the possibilities you present. I haven't been tested for Zinc, but will def check that out. Planning on following the rest of your advice before my upcoming labs in Oct. Thx for all the help!!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Gene, thanks for the book recommendation, I'll check it out. You're so right about pushing one spot and getting unintended consequences. My functional doctor put me on some default mix of B's to start and I suffered. Only after research did I understand why.

Lucy, good luck, I'll be pulling for you!
jenniferthequeen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenniferthequeen »

So...may I ask a question of this genius community?

I just had my homocysteine levels checked as part of my routine annual physical. (I am heterozygous MTHFR C677T.) My level was 5.7 umol/L (!!!).

My B12 came in at 1133 ps/ml.

So, is the whole homocysteine concern off the table for me?

For the record, I supplement and plan to continue. I take Dr. Amen's Brain and Body Power Max, twice a day because it seems an easy way to get many of the supplements recommended in the Bredesen protocol, and to be assured they are high quality and truly standardized.

Thanks for any input. - Jen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk